Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Save more previously-used connections in the Schema Compare tool

When comparing databases, the "Select Source Schema"/"Select Target Schema" dialog has a drop-down of the most recently-used connections, but the dialog seems to have a hardcoded limit of 5 connections. I work with more than 5 databases, when the different projects I work on are multiplied by the different environments across which I am comparing, and I find I am constantly re-entering connection details to databases.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Database Projects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Option to automatically collapse all inactive preprocessor blocks

I suggest that Microsoft add an option to automatically collapse all inactive preprocessor blocks in the Visual Studio/C++ IDE.

This feature would be extremely easy to implement, and enhance productivity considerably, especially for projects that contain many compilation alternatives.

This feature appears to be on relatively high demand;
      - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/97ad0528-8dd8-44eb-b4b8-ede8fdb3cf61/hide-inactive-preprocessor-block
      - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9094391/collapse-all-inactive-preprocessor-blocks-in-visual-studio
      - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17332077/can-i-programmatically-collapse-expand-all-preprocessor-blocks-of-a-certain-name

Best Regards,

Richard Baxter

12 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add intelligent sort, and filter capabilities to Autos, Locals, and Watch Windows

I'd really like a way to filter the debugger windows based on
        * variable name
        * type
        * value
        * changed (red)
        * valid vs. invalid memory (e.g. 0xcdcd, 0xcccc), or <Unable to read memory>
        * public, private, protected, const, etc qualifications

The UI I'm picturing would be column filter widgets in Excel Lists.

Some potential use cases:
        1. Stepping into a class function where the this pointer has many dozens of members, I might want to see all the bools, all non-zero entries, all non-null pointers, etc.

2. It can be difficult to find the entry I want if…

9 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Extend Data Breakpoints to watch for data read in addition to write

I know how to make a data breakpoints for when the data changes, but it would be nice to break whenever a certain address is read(or output a trace of what function was reading it). That way, I could quickly log everything that happens based on a particular symbol's value, not just assignments to it.

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Solve the object file collision

Having the same file name in two or more locations in your file hierarchy causes Visual Studio to use the same object file name & this cause link time problems. Please have VS generate unique object files (maybe based on a hash of the relative file path from the project file)

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Strong name signing with password

If you want to sign a project with a password protected key the build will fail using the Hosted Build Controller with the following message:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(2482,5): error MSB3325: Cannot import the following key file: file.pfx. The key file may be password protected. To correct this, try to import the certificate again or manually install the certificate to the Strong Name CSP with the following key container name: VS_KEY_1A2B3C4D5E6F1A2B [C:\a\src\projectName\projectName.csproj]

I would like to see an option that allows to upload certificates to the server / manually install the certificate in the Strong Name CSP. So we can build strong named…

16 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • refactor - Extract String to Resource File

I would like an integrated "Extract this string to a resource file" option on strings in the IDE to make it easier to develop cross-culture applications.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add submodule support in Visual Studio Git Extension

In the Visual Studio Git extension cloning a repo ignores submodules. When a repo is cloned it should perform a recursive clone through the submodules.

Also, submodules are not shown correctly for commits. Please add support for git submodules.

395 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Export Template Project option to include Packages and assign new/”free” <IISUrl>

Today when we want to export our application as a Project Template, packages will be left untouched and the <IISUrl> will be the same as when created the project from day 1.

The packages “problem” can be solved, today, in two ways, what I know of.
                    1. Copy the packages folder manually to the new /Projects/MyProject folder.

2. http://docs.nuget.org/docs/reference/packages-in-visual-studio-templates

I think this could be solved within Visual Studio, maybe an option when exporting or some other solution that will help us developer with this somewhat annoying problem.

But the <IISUrl> problem is what I really would like to see being…

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Provide some tutorials on UPNP/DLNA

I have been Looking all over the internet for tutorials on how to interact with DLNA/UPNP enabled devices. However after hours of pointless redirections to "tutorials" I found nothing that a newbie to the framework could use to start developing their own DLNA/UPNP enabled apps for windows or mobile... Ooh and the intel upnp sdk has been useful but the codebase is large and unexplained with a shroud of mystery on what half of the code actually does. It is really hard to find any example tutorials of how to develop these apps. Could somebody knowledgeable from the VS team…

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Support nested types in Windows Workflow XAML

The current Windows Workflow design surface does not support nested types, but these are perfectly valid as an InArgument or OutArgument in a CodeActivity.

The two issues are:

1. Arguments or Variables in a XAML workflow cannot be of type SomeType.SomeOtherType and this happens often when we use 3rd party libraries or COM-callable wrappers
                        2. Trying to write any expression that involves a nested type which is serialized to XAML(and generates a <file>.g.cs) throws a designer error, even though this is perfectly valid code.

This is terribly inconsistent and sometimes makes me reconsider choosing WF when with this feature it…

10 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • TFS WebAccess hierachical List View of Work Items - Option to display all Items collapsed if executing the Query

TFS WebAccess - Hierachical WorItems Query

By Default all Items are displayed expanded. You have the button to collapse all items, but it would be great if there is an Option to make the collapsed view the Standard view.

12 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add "commutative" keyword for C# operator overloading

When overloading the multiply operator in a manner that takes two different arguments (best example is some user written Vector2D and a double), it is required to write two different overloads to specify the Vector2D*double and the double*Vector2D.

Please allow a "commutative" keyword that lets the compiler produce the two required signatures, e.g. (double d, Vector2D v), (Vector2D v, double d) automatically.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow Debug->Exceptions->Thrown options scoped to specific blocks of code

Breaking on thrown exceptions is generally noisy. When I turn it on, my intent is to see what's wrong with a very specific block of code. It would be useful to be able to select a block of text, right click, and have a menu that lets me toggle which kinds of exceptions to break on for that block of code only.

2 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Bring Back color icons please

Bring back color icons from Visual studio 2010, it is very complicated to get used to the white black icons! Its super not intuitive! please bring it back! Class icons and so on folder icons in the solution explorer.

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Allow TFS task board to show Tasks without parent

Currently the TFS task board only shows me Tasks (Bugs, Issues or whatever I configure), that have a parent User Story.

In out workflow Bugs and Issues don't need a parent User Story, but they won't show up in the task board if they haven't.

I would like to have an option, that the task board shows me all work items in the current iteration, even if they don't have a parent User Story.

43 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Expand the use of the try/catch/finally code block.

Oft times, I find myself writing code to allow for a string of job runs. After each job run, I want to evaluate the return code for valid info, usually it is the number of rows returned in my query.

It is my dream for the try/catch to be expanded to include a when keyword. Here is my contrived example:
                                    internal class Program
                                    {
                                    private static void Main(string[] args)
                                    {
                                    int chk = -999;
                                    try
                                    {
                                    chk = Method1();
                                    chk = Method2();
                                    chk = Method3();
                                    chk = Method4();
                                    }
                                    when (chk == 0)
                                    {
                                    //code for when one job returns…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Allow users to customize source control explorer and work items

Personally I find the new black icons and uppercase text much ****** to distinguish from the 2010 look.
                                      Some people might like the new look but you could at least allow users to alter the UI to their preference since this is an application they might be using 40+ hours a week!

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add <p> to the Surround With menu

<div> is there, but no <p>! Really?!?!

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow me to change the color of a Generic Definition

Allow me to change the color of a Generic Definition in a class or method.

Example:

public class Herp<TDerp>
                                          {
                                          // I should be allowed to change the color of TDerp
                                          }

18 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base