Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add support to Debugger Visualizer to target Interfaces

[assembly: DebuggerVisualizer(typeof(DataContractDebuggerVisualizer), typeof(DataContractVisualizerObjectSource), Target = typeof(IList<>), Description = "List Visualizer")]

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zayyhzts.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Enable Smart Unit Tests to break dependencies by automatically generating mocks

In VS2015 Preview, Smart Unit Tests warns about external dependencies (for e.g. calls into the filesystem, network, etc.) present in the code-under-test. The expectation is that the developer then manually write a mock for such dependencies.
        I would like Smart Unit Tests to detect such dependencies and automatically generate mocks.

26 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Syntax highlight control/type/otherwise keywords differently

Separate the keyword lists for the "Keyword" syntax coloring option according to their in-language usage. In C++, while both "return" and "double" are "keywords", the difference in their use as a control keyword and a type keyword respectively should be possible to highlight somehow.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make WinRT XAML Source available

With this the comunity could get Inspiration and port missing pieces over to WPF

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Please bring back the VS 2010 Theme, Colors & Icons!

Why did you change all toolbox icons to black and white?
              Just to make it harder to select the correct one?
              Color is important to recognize an icon!!!

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow overriding built-in Code Analysis dictionary terms

We need the ability to override Code Analysis dictionary terms which are shipped out-of-the-box (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\FxCop\CustomDictionary.xml)

Otherwise, there is no way to get rid of CA1704 (IdentifiersShouldBeSpelledCorrectly) warnings for terms that are marked as unrecognized (e.g. "Multi") or compound (e.g. "Toolbar") in the built-in dictionary.

There is some discussion on Connect[1], but I refuse to accept the recommendation that we need to actually modify our Visual Studio installation files in order to be able to use certain words without CA complaining. This is not a practical solution for large teams.

I see two…

29 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Dependency Tree View for Gulp files

Build systems are getting much more complex these days, particularly when you look at dependencies. For example, to build a combined web component file from separated HTML, JS and LESS files, I need to compile the JS and LESS files into a temporary directory, then (once all those are done), vulcanize the components, then (once that's done), concatenate the files together. This leads to a dependency tree that is hard to visualize when you are looking at the Javascript.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Provide a .Net 4.5 version of core Microsoft.ApplicationInsights Package w/o Microsoft.Bcl* dependencies

As described in my post over at the MSDN forums (see https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/ef9705c7-bbcf-4af3-af15-bf09ff446960/unnecessary-microsoftbcl-dependency-of-microsoftapplicationinsights-nuget-package?forum=ApplicationInsights), I would like to suggest that the core 'Microsoft.ApplicationInsights' NuGet package gets a separate net45 config it its nuspec that does NOT pull in Microsoft.BCL.Async (and its dependencies).

.Net 4.5 obviously comes with native async/await out of the box and right now the aforementioned net40 only config and its dependency not only causes my .Net 4.5 solution and projects to unnecessarily reference the Microsoft.BCL* packages, but even worse, all referencing projects are required to do the same - when building this occurs for my Test- & Azure…

26 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Remember private drop locations used in Queue Build dialog

If I want to keep my shelveset builds out of the normal build drop I have to enter the path to my private build share each time I queue a build. It's the same every time I do it but I have to enter the entire path every time too. Typos in the drop location are a frequent cause of build failures for myself and other developers.

The VS dialog should remember values I've used for the build drop in the past and allow me to just pick them again. Might be harder in the web app, but that'd be…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Support horizontal scrolling on devices with multi-touch touchpads

On ultrabooks with modern touchpads, most windows (Windows Explorer, browsers etc.) support horizontal scrolling by keeping two fingers down and sliding horizontally. Visual Studio's editor is one of the very few that doesn't.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Drag and Drop a Task to an Iteration

Let say I have PBI pbiA with children tasks: taskA1 and taskA2, they are currently in Iteration Sprint1, and I want to change taskA2 to Sprint2. To do so in TFS 2015 CTP, I need to edit taskA2 and change the Iteration field. It would be practical to be able to drag and drop tasks from the backlog or the task board.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Remove warning about trustworthiness when opening a solution

Everytime I open a project used on other computer, it shows me some useless notification like "Don't open the project if you downloaded it".
                            Why do I have to do 2 more clicks every time I open a project? For what reason did you put this notification over there? I'm not an idiot and I know what should I open and what should I not.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Be able to add a tag in the recent items inside of the Start Page

Sometimes, when we are working in a project, we can have more than one solution with the same name.
                              In the recent items in the Start Page of Visual Studio we can not to know difference quickly and we have to hover the mouse over the name of the item.
                              To avoid errors opening the wrong solution, I do this suggestion:
                              Would be interesting to have the possibility to add a tag in the recent items on the left of the recent item.
                              It would be very interesting for the developers and would avoid some problems when we are working…

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Support the -Loopback token in proxy bypass lists

The .NET Framework is currently hardcoded to bypass the proxy for traffic destined to localhost/127.0.0.1/::1. This makes sense in general, but greatly complicates debugging with Fiddler or other proxies.

In 2011, this problem was fixed in WinINET and WinHTTP with the introduction of the "minus-loopback" token in proxy bypass lists. When <-loopback> is present, the client should not bypass the proxy for local addresses.

See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/fiddler/archive/2011/02/10/fiddler-is-better-with-internet-explorer-9.aspx for more detail.

111 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  3 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Build a Solution designer to give us better control over project/solution configurations, platforms, and other settings.

The current dialog box for editing project and solution configurations/platforms hasn't changed in years, and it's very cumbersome to make bulk changes.

We do not use the default "Debug" and "Release" configurations, but have a configuration defined for each target environment, by name, and one configuration for each developer to use for their local workstation.

Whenever a new project gets added, Visual Studio insists on creating "Debug" and "Release". If I don't remember to delete them when I create the project, it becomes very difficult to find which project has the unwanted configurations, because it takes multiple layers of comboboxes…

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Add a Favorites Section in Source Control Explorer

Our team opens all projects from the Source Control Explorer. Currently, you have to drill down through the folder tree in order to get to the solution or project you want to open.

It would be wonderful to be able to add files, projects, or solutions to a "Favorites" panel right inside the Source Control Explorer.

Here's a mockup...

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • The Visual Studio FTP client should upload/download files in parellel

Publishing a website via FTP is very slow by comparison to publishing it locally and then uploading using eg. FileZilla. If the FTP client could handle multiple files at once in parallel it would really speed things up (and reduce site downtime during updates). This could also be used in other features where FTP is uploading/downloading multiple files

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Pre/Post Build Script : TFS process properties

The Pre/Post script arguments should support process properties like BuildDetail.RequstedFor so that we can pass them to our PowerShell scripts.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • tfsbuild : support Pre/Post script arguments

TFSBUILD should support pre/post script arguments from the command line.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)