Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. So many years,So many Versions of VS,But Why Visual Studio supports C + + still sucks

Why so many years, Visual Studio supports C + + sucks???
    what do the vs team(C++ part) so many years?
    eat the ****?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Provide more flexibility to modify TFS Project home page\dashboard.

TFS provides an easy way to create use work item templates to pre-populate fields http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff407162.aspx however there is no place to store these links on the project home page\dashboard. There should be a section on the project page where I can create custom Tiles that point to any URL, either to pre-populated templates to other sites, links to our applications, documentation, etc... We could be able to choose the Tile Colour and text and if we call a web service, even display a return value. In a way, it would provide an easy way to do simple integration to other…

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Scroll to first change when opening a code review file

VS opens the file and displays the start of the file even though the changes to a file are often out of view. Please scroll so that the first change is in the middle of the screen to avoid unnecessary user actions.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • In the options for SCMP files (schema compare), group them by category

All of the schema options are all grouped together in the options/object types/Application-Scoped tab. I am always going in and unchecking keys, broker stuff, users/roles, etc. if these were in logical groups it would be easier. Mostly I want to compare table, view, function, stored proc. etc. schemas, and ignore the other stuff. Especially anything security related, which is typically set by environment.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Database Projects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Velocity Report

Velocity Report is showing Sum of Effort of Parent and Child Items.

If one PBI got Child Task WI's Velocity report is counting Effort of PBI and Task both. In my view it's duplication of the Effort in Velocity Report. Looks this is intentional, but I could not understand the reason. Please make this change, or update the report page on MSDN.

I am taking about below report:
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff731575(v=vs.110).aspx#feedback

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Allow C# string constants to be broken without an operator

Java has an interesting concept. If you have a string constant that doesn't fit on a line, you can break it without adding runtime code. I think the same syntax should be borrowed for C#.

Java's syntax:
              ~~~~
              "string part one" "string part two"
              ~~~~

The compiler will automatically merge those string contants. Note there is no operator in between the constants. Current C# syntax requires the + operator be called at runtime.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • add more options in VS search dialog

options like
                * "search in strings only" / "not in strings"
                * "search in comments only" / "not in comments

21 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Provide an option to display CodeLens beside declarations rather than above.

CodeLens is extremely useful, but I don't like that it adds an extra [fractional] line which isn't really "there" into the visual flow of my code on the page. This is made worse by the fact that CodeLens takes a brief moment to load, so when a code file is first opened, it appears as if there are many extra blank lines (very obvious & distracting when these 'blank' CodeLens spaces appear beneath doc comments or attributes but above the declarations they decorate).

If there were an option to display these annotations off to the right side of a declaration…

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Provide support for Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)

The .NET Framework currently lacks support for Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS).

DTLS is useful for applications which require the use of unreliable, low-latency datagram transports such as UDP, where TLS would otherwise terminate the connection due to errors such as out-of-order packets. I'm sure I don't need to explain the benefits of unreliable transports for applications such as gaming, real-time communications, and media streaming. DTLS can provide authentication and encryption over insecure mediums such as the Internet for applications which require datagram transports.

A solution similar to SslStream for TLS would be good. Instead of wrapping a stream, the…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow Visual Studio Online users with Basic license to prioritize features

In Visual Studio Online we use the Features view to store and prioritize development epics. As a Product Manager I need only the agile functionality in TFS: releases, iterations, backlog items, and these epics. Therefore I use a Basic license.

Recently, Microsoft enabled the Features view for Basic license users. Thanks!
                      http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/5474521-allow-visual-studio-online-users-with-basic-licens

I can now add, update, and delete the Features. However, I cannot drag-drop reorder the features for prioritization. Our developers with MSDN subscription can do this, but I cannot... and this is my job!

As a Product Manager with a Basic license, I need to be able to…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • exe.config file setting editor - allow users to change config settings at runtime

Currently in the IDE we have a config editor which allows us to add and remove settings to the app.config file. This creates an exe.config file when the solution is built.

However there is no way for the user to edit this file using a GUI to change the settings values. Currently they have to manually do this using notepad, which is not the best way.

There should be a .NET feature that can be called upon to change the exe.config file and update the setting values easily from the compiled exe.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Resize column width in the TFS Checkout windows not saved

The column Name in the TFS checkout window, when we resize this to show the full name, is not restored/maintained when the dialog is displayed again.

Would be good if the columns being resize this is remember, similar as you resize the window..

also see http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/30d7abde-0cbe-405f-925e-3c5b46b52706/resize-column-width-in-the-tfs-checkout-windows-not-saved?forum=visualstudiogeneral

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Save project files before TFS get latest

When you rename a file or something, Visual studio will checkout the vbproj (or csproj) file and write the changes in-memory, not on disk. You need to do a ctrl-shift-s to save files in the background.

This is OK I guess, but if you do a get latest while in this state and this project file has changed, VS will prompt you with useless options:

- Save as... in another file than do everything manually (annoyingly long to do)
                            - Overwrite: lose incoming changes (not good)
                            - Ignore: lose local changes (not good)

It should at least provide you with…

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Debug on process launch

Setup Visual Studio to automatically attach (and break at entry point) to any externally launched processes by process name. Similarly, setup Visual Studio to automatically attach (and break at entry point) to any processes spawned by the program currently being debugged (recursively).

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • "Officially" Support The MSBuild Debugger

Back in 2010 the Visual Studio Blog Posted "Debugging MSBuild script with Visual Studio" (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2010/07/06/debugging-msbuild-script-with-visual-studio.aspx) that let us know about the undocumented (and therefore unsupported) MSBuild Debugger (/debug).

This function is extremely valuable in the debugging of complex Build Systems built using MSBuild. While the tool has many shortcomings I feel it is "good enough" to be officially supported such that we don't have to apply the undocumented hack every time I get a new Development Machine.

It would be nice to see the debugger experience improved at the same time, but at this point I'd settle for…

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Allow Information relating to a release to be persisted

A common activity undertaken by the release manager is to log and track releases in a file and database, could you allow this information based on logging variables and the global variables specified in another post to be recorded to a database or excel, csv file, both an append or create option would be beneficial.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Modify "centering" of code displayed when finding a new reference from the "FIND ALL REFERENCES" panel.

I suggest that the editor restrict any "centering" reset of the code display to "new found" code lines outside the scope of the current display.

Currently, when a new (find) line of code is selected from the "Find All References" list, the editor resets the display so that new line is vertically centered in the display which is fine for references in distant parts of the file of in other files. However, when the new reference is within the current scope of the displayed code the code display "JUMPS" around.
                                    I find this disconcerting if and when I am concentrating…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Allow to Create Folders into the SQL Managament Studio Project to organize the files, not only "Connection"/"Query"/"Miscellaneous"

At the moment, when we create a SQL Project using the SQL Server Management Studio, the project comes along with the standards virtual folders Connection, Queries, Miscellaneous and it doesn't allow us to create any other folder or subfolder.

I did a research on the internet to try to find a solution and I could find lots of people having the same issue, as everyone organize it in different ways, in my situation I organize as Table, Procedures, Functions, Triggers, Scripts, ....

As a work around I created one project for each folder, however it is not the appropriate.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  SQL BI Tools (SRS, SSIS, SSAS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • add BitScanForward and BitScanReverse functions to .NET Framework, like in C++.

The .NET Framework seems to be missing functions to give us safe access to the BitScanForward and BitScanReverse x86 instructions, for 32-bit and 64-bit integers.

Following you can see the C/C++ functions documented but there is no C# or .NET equivalent.
                                        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wfd9z0bb(v=vs.100).aspx
                                        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fbxyd7zd(v=vs.100).aspx

If you are bothered by the fact that BitScanForward returns 2 values (boolean and index), or if you wish to make the name less ambiguous than "BitScanForward", then you could make a slight modification as follows and name it "CountTrailingZeroBits".

int CountTrailingZeroBits64(UInt64 inValue)
                                        {
                                        int i;
                                        return _BitScanForward64(&i, inValue) ? i : 64;
                                        }

And similarly for…

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • support a tooltip to describe the area path

I suggest you support a tooltip to describe the area path. When you have multiple area paths, for other team members it is not clear what they all for. So a tooltip when mouse over could be nice.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base