Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support multiple IIS web apps/pools pointing to the same file directory

Currently, Application Insights only supports one IIS web app or pool pointing to one physical file directory, otherwise it breaks the monitoring.

Please support multiple web apps or pools pointing to the same directory.

Issuing a Get-WebApplicationMonitoringStatus command in the powershell displays the issue. If you have mutiple IIS apps pointing to the same directory, you will see the DisplayName repeated. Since each app needs its own ConfigurationName property, this breaks monitoring.

We have multiple IIS web apps pointing to the same directory for several reasons, one being that we can keep the asp.net temporary files spaces separate (by keeping…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Make the existing collections implement IEnumerable<T>

All BCL collections that implement IEnumerable should also implement IEnumerable<T>. Example: MatchCollection. Using LINQ requires IEnumerable<T>.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Visual Studio Online (TFS) should show task numbers on task board

It would be nice if VS Online automatically prepended the task number to each task on the board. It is very useful during scrum to reference tasks by number. It is also easy to reference the board when associating change sets to tasks.Having to click on tasks in order to bring up the edit view and view the actual task number get's annoying especially with slow connections.

7 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Allow namespaces to be removed from DataContractSerializer

The XmlSerializer allows us to remove all XML namespaces from the resulting XML. The DataContractSerializer on the other hand always inserts

xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";

When integrating with third parties or expecting third parties to integrate with you this can cause major problems on cross-platform calls.

The DataContractSerializer should allow any and all namespaces to be removed giving full control over the generated XML.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Multifolder selection dialog feature

Create a dialog to select multiple files and folders at the same time. As reference see the JFileDialog/c++ file selection dialog.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Create an alternative to ObsoleteAttribute that has no runtime side-effects

The current ObsoleteAttribute has undocumented and unforeseen side-effects spread throughtout framework code (e.g. XmlSerializer does not serialize classes and members marked with ObsoleteAttribute).

This breaks the intended use of ObsoleteAttribute as a hint to developers. Consider "obsoleting" the ObsoleteAttribute and replace it with a DeprecatedAttribute that works as intended.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Add F# support for .NET Native

I had a conversation with @xyziemba and @dotnet on Twitter recently about the .NET Native toolset and features. I understand the F# is not supported at the moment and that support is unlikely to come in the VS 2015 RTM timeframe. I'd like to suggest that you consider adding this support as soon as possible - even if it means some time after the RTM of VS 2015.

Since I couldn't find a UserVoice request for this - I wanted to put this in.

Thanks,
                Krishna

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • About universal APP

About universal APP.
                  I think universal APP project should not contain windows and windows phone project. there maybe contain one project only.
                  Suppose we have created a windows 8.1 of APP, but some devices displayer size and cell phone almost. so, we must do many things for different displayer.
                  I think we can create different layout(use XAML) for different size displayer, the system automatically uses the display size close to the layout to display.

ex:
                  I intend to develop an APP, the APP may need to run on with 8 "and 12" display device.
                  1. I create a folder which…

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • 3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Make Docking and Windows Panels native control. Similar to what Visual Studio has.

Every medium sized application needs Windows Panels and Docking mechanism anyway. Visual Studio has this function incredibly well implemented why not make it accessible for every application. Every medium sized application would not have to spend months building their own or debugging and testing free or commercial alternatives.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Add customizing syntax highlighting

It would be nice to be able to customize syntax highlighting in Team Foundation Server. We use .hpp files for our header files in our C++ project, but TFS does not do syntax highlighting for .hpp files.

So It would be nice to be able to apply a syntax highlighting scheme to a file type. For example apply the header scheme (from .h) and apply it to all .hpp files.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Visual studio - GIT - propose to prune when fetching the repo

What I'd like to do is that Fetch should be able to do 'git fetch --prune'

I know that I can register a remote to always be pruned with 'git config remote.origin.prune true' but this is not what I want.

I'd like a checkbox on the right of Fetch button for example.

see https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/d283472d-a194-4f55-aee6-205094fb1766/visual-studio-git-always-prune-when-fetching-the-repo-?forum=tfsversioncontrol#87f6bf6b-0b58-46ee-9475-252e11910848

4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add Realtime MSDN help hints for SQL, BCL and the languages (C#, etc) to intellisense in VS IDEs

A realtime help system in intellisense could help to a developer rapidly find online documentation and the latest updates to the help content that is frequently updated and cahed to offline cache, so he/she can more quickly find and read docs for anything in the intellisense, e.g definition, usage and samples. rather than pressing F1 key and waiting to navigate to a page or documentation home and search, he/she could find excpected docs by a keyboard shortcut and type the search keyword(s) and get the results on demand and i think it is a must-have developer experience in any IDE…

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow to force a Format Specifiers to strings in Watch

If you have a watch on a string that is unreadable in the windows because of the automatic escapement rules, you could add a Format specifier sor exemple ",s8b" to make it ok.
                              If you have that same string in a vector you could do a vector[0],s8b then vector[1],s8b but not on the whole vector.

It would be lovely to be able to browse the vector without having to catch each member one by one.
                              Even a Global option display all string as ,sb or s8b will be a life saver.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Allow multiple languages (C#,VB,F#) in the same project

Now with Roslyn this could be possible.

It's very annoying that you have to convert C# to VB just to include a class/function/snippet in your VB project, and viceversa.
                                If all code compiles to MSIL, then why we cannot use different NET languages in the same project.

Another example is a function in F#, you may want to use some functions that will simplify/improve your project (C#/VB) and it's better to do it in a functional language, but you don't want to code all your project in F#, nor want to create a separate project in F# with its DLL…

11 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Long code file auto wrap into multiple columns of text

I often find myself looking at my 24" FHD monitor with 80ish lines of code bunched up on the left side of the monitor. Typically, I can open other code files to fill up the middle and the right of the monitor, but for the times that I only have one long code file .... it would be nice, but i'm not too sure how useful, if one could view the code file across the entire screen space such that:

Suppose I have a file with the following text:

linesAAA
                                  linesBBB
                                  linesCCC
                                  linesDDD
                                  linesEEE
                                  linesFFF

The editor right now will…

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • VSO: Search by Pull Request number.

I would like to search by Pull Request number. This will allow the reviewers to quickly get the appropriate pull request.

22 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Provide a way to say that a property should not be evaluated automatically by the debugger

When a property is a cache (that is the value is created on demand), tracing the code might have undesired side-effect as the underlying object is created by the debugger for Auto view and similar.

Ideally, there would be a few options but minimally if a specific attribute is used, then the property would only be evaluated manually (similar to LINQ queries).

Another possibility might be to specify a field to use for debugging purpose and the debugger would display field value and a button to update. Something like [DebuggerExplicitPropertyEval(fieldToUses)].

Maybe, there could be an option to prevent automatic evaluation…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Give the user the ability to manage their tags (rename, delete, etc.)

I want top be able to either remove unused tags, or even better, replace one tag name with another new name.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Let us to work "On Cloud" to coding, compiling and deploying

Give some tolos for work completely online by using the web browser taking advantage of HTML 5 stack in order to:

-Code
                                          -Compile
                                          -Deploy
                                          -Debug
                                          -VSS

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Rangers Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base