Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. option to disable quick action squiggles

In VS2015 you introduced the quick action light bulb. I think its a cool piece of tech, and I get why many people like it. However its a bit to intrusive for me, the light bulb was ok, but the green quick action squiggle errors are starting to become a bit annoying.

For example, when I create classes I prefer writing up the class first in the header file, writing the functions, variables etc I know I will be needing. The second I finish writing the constructor prototype the squiggles and the light bulb flare up, "Function definition not found,…

248 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      18 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Different icons for DLL-refs and Project-refs

In the project reference folder there is a list of references to other assemblies. These can be referenced by pointing to a dll or to another project in the solution. It would be really helpful and emphazise correct linking if one could easily see (on the icon) whether the refence is made to a project or to a dll.

24 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Enable TLS 1.2/1.1 during Click once Setup

Enable TLS 1.2/1.1 during ClickOnce Setup.

We need to disable TLS 1.0 by June for compliance. During testing of this we have found that our application connect correctly after a minor change. However, the ClickOnce setup only negotiates a TLS 1.0 connection.

Please either enable TLS 1.2 by default with a fallback to 1.1/1.0 or give the ability to turn it on during the build.

76 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add React Native support to VS2015.

Facebook have a React Native to build both iOS and Android, and could write javescript html 5 and css to have native application, This could compare to Cordova, A compiled to wrapper or native like Xamarin did.
          TypeScript already suport React, and will VS2015 support React Native also, like Tools for Cordova project.

82 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make it optional to view buildlog in IDE

People are working inside VS and don't want to spawn a new browser session to view the build log or build queue. It makes you daily work slow when you are working with multiple builds. So please make it optional for the user whtere it should be shown in IDE (like in 2013) or web.

47 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Microsoft should make MFC open source

MFC is still used in several C++ legacy projects (including very large enterprise applications) still active in maintenance mode.

With MFC open source, the community and Microsoft could submit new code and patches while Microsoft could monitor the quality of the submitted code and support an official branch.

Would something similar to open-sourcing ASP.NET work fine for MFC?

Scott Guthrie sums up an interesting approach when he announced the open-sourcing of ASP.NET MVC, Web API and Razor:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/asp-net-mvc-web-api-razor-and-open-source

“[…] Doing so will enable a more open development model where everyone in the community will be able to engage and provide…

36 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                5 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Add the DatabaseFirst option for Asp.Net 5 projects how it was in earlier versions of Asp.Net

Give back the wizard for using Database First like it was for Asp.Net in earlier versions where we could add the Db Entities just by right-click->add new item->ado.net data entity instead of writing all the commands in Package Manager and Command Prompt, it takes us a lot time and is risky (easy to write commands wrong). Bring the designer back.

40 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Ability to filter or block email alerts when backlog order changed

We currently sign up for email alerts when a work item changes, but we would like the ability to not receive an email when the work item’s order is changed in the backlog list or have something in the email header that could be filtered on that indicates that the work item’s content did not change and the alert was due to its order being changed.

18 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Show CodeLens above Attributes if they exists

If a function/property/class as an attribute defined above it. the CodeLens is inserted between the attribute definition.

Today:
                    [MyAttribute]
                    codelens stuff
                    public void MyFunction(){}

Should be:
                    codelens stuff
                    [MyAttribute]
                    public void MyFunction(){}

187 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      3 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Pull request should not create merge commits when a fast-forward merge is possbile

Since Update 1 Team Foundation Server 2015 creates a merge commit when completing a pull request.
                      While this might be useful in some cases, for us this is kind of annoying and we would like to switch that feature of.

35 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Use the full scriptcs engine as the C# REPL in Visual Studio

Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 brought us the C# REPL (https://www.visualstudio.com/news/vs2015-update1-vs#Csharp). It is a pity that we do not get the full Scriptcs (http://scriptcs.net/) experience. The community has already embraced Scriptcs and we have integrated it into our workflow. Don't reinvent the weel and create a solution that has fewer features and is incompatible.

40 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • set when

private bool _flag;

public bool Flag
                          {
                          get { return _flag; }
                          set when (_flag != value)
                          {
                          _flag = value;
                          OnPropertyChanged();
                          }
                          }

28 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • IntelliSense for Aurelia views

Aurelia is rapidly gaining traction as the second big SPA framework for the future, and it represents a very strong alternative to Angular 2 - and while Angular 2 seem to be stuck in perpetual development, Aurelia is here now, just as capable, and much nicer to work with.

Read more at http://aurelia.io

Visual Studio already provides IntelliSense support when editing Angular views, and I strongly believe it should do the same for Aurelia. This should at a minimum include full IntelliSense for the Aurelia binding syntax, and ideally also for property names defined on the corresponding view model.

42 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Visual Studio 2015 upgrade SKU

Bring back the upgrade SKUs for Visual Studio 2015 so that people with a Visual Studio 2013 license can get a discounted price for licensing a copy of Visual Studio. This is more in regards to the Visual Studio Professional product level as there are renew options for the MSDN options.

89 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • VSTS - email alerts - Email PBI/Task comment to "@RecipientName@domain.com"

Please can email alerts be enabled to send an automated message to named recipients.
                                For example, if Acceptance Criteria issue is called out in a PBI, this can be directly addressed to the Product owner.
                                For example:
                                "@RecipientName@domain.com Please verify A/C #1, as specificed in this Story, specific to my feedback, as follows..."

16 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Please bring back the "Photoshop" import option in Blend 2015

If Photoshop importer is not supported in Blend 2015, it impedes our migration plan to Blend 2015 and we'll have to keep using Blend 2013.

We recognize that one of the advantages of WPF is that it can separate design from logic.
                                  We place orders of screen designs to companies who specialize in design and we don't put the ability of using Blend as the basis of selection.
                                  Designers deliver products in the form of Photoshop or Illustrator. Our current partner delivers with Photoshop format.

If we can't import Photoshop file directly, we have to create XAML with referencing the…

293 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Support JavaScript debugging for Microsoft edge

Visual Studio should stop debugging when Microsoft Edge is closed. Additionally Visual Studio should be able to debug JavaScript running in the Microsoft Edge browser.

159 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      3 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add "Publish" for nuget package projects

We run our own nuget server in house, and as such, we find ourselves continually having to go into the project properties to check "Produce outputs on builds", then performing a build, then leaving the IDE to copy the generated nuget package to our in-house server, and finally returning to the IDE to uncheck "Produce outputs on builds" (which we only really want to do when we need to publish).

It's a tedious process that could be easily circumvented with a Publish option. We don't want to publish on every build, but when we do, we'd like it to be…

18 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Restore usability of the new Error List window in VS 2015

1. Restore the ability to sort all entries by their addition time ("Default Order" in VS2013 and older). In VS 2015 RC, messages keep "jumping" as they are generated, which makes it nearly impossible to work with the Error List during a long build without stoping it.

2. Restore (at least as an option) full clearing of Error List on build start, or at least add a button or context menu option to clear it manually. It is very confusing in VS 2015 RC when fixed errors and warnings stay there for half of the build process until the compiler…

181 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          10 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Enable Roslyn-Powered Code Views

This vote is for developers who support the idea of Roslyn-Powered Code Views. Code Views are a conceptual improvement to the way Visual Studio renders code to a developer, and how a developer works with that code.

Opening a file: To load a Code View, code is loaded into memory and parsed as a Roslyn AST. From there, it is processed through a developer's Code Formatting Profile to render the code to the developer as they prefer it. This includes such things as spacing (spaces or tabs), documentation (on or off), and characters/symbols around fields (underscores or even Hungarian notation…

54 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base