Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Visual Studio 2012 Is the worst UI from Microsoft Ever

So I am converting to VS2012 as everyone has to bite the bullet every so often. And I have to say at this point I am contemplating looking a third party tools to do some of the stuff I used to use TFS for.
    I've already demoed Red Hat's SQL so that I can do a Data Compare on a SQL 2012 database because Microsoft thought that nobody apparently uses that feature.
    And checking in code when your a developer working on multiple projects is 1-2 minute process vs being short in quick like it used to be.

WTF ...…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Save collapsed code and restore it

When I have a perfect look to my source code, I would like to store it easily and then restore it when needed or when I open the file next time. The problem is that searching in file will expand the collapsed code to see the result - but afterwards I'd like to have my old look again.

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • include graphics debugger in VS2012 Express Edition

Because PIX is now officially replaced with the graphics debugger ( and even crashing with anything DX11 on Win8 ), but graphics debugger is not included in the Express Edition, it is now literally impossible to develop anything DX11 because of the lack of any means to debug.

Homebrew software, demoscene programmers, after-work tinkers were always a significant driving force for MS and DirectX, but now it is impossible for anyone to learn/play/experiment with DX at home. I suggest to include the graphics debugger just as PIX was included before in the DX SDK for free.

209 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Make pending changes exclude files not in the current project by default

There are already many posts commenting on the usability of the pending changes window (for use with TFS 2012) but I've not seen this one:

I work on many projects, some concurrently and invariably end up with multiple files checked out in different projects at the same time.

When I go to the pending changes window it defaults to including _every_ checked out file it knows about. This just resulted in me unintentionally checking in work in progress files on an unrelated project.

IMO the pending changes window should, by default, only include files related to the solution you're currently…

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Range checking in debug mode (for valarrays)

All array types (normal arrays, vectors, valarrays, etc.) should be automatically range checked in debug mode. Your documentation suggests they are, but at valarrays are not.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Make inspecting arrays easier

It's hard to inspect array parameters given as an pointer, as the debugger assumes that it points to a single element. A solution is to cast the pointer to an array in the watch window. For example, if I have

foo(int count, double* array) { ... }

I can create a watch for "(double (*)[42])array". It would be nicest not to need the cast at all, but allowing it to cast to "(double (*)[count])" would also make things easier. If the parameters have SAL annotations this could be done automatically.

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add the SharePoint based Dashboards to Team Web Access

Instead of having to open yet another console (SharePoint) it would be useful/efficient if all reporting/dashboard information could all be displayed/managed in Team Web Access similar to Jira.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Move file operations to a separate thread and not VS-UI thread.

Visual Studio should make the programmer efficient whenever possible. VS file operations including but not limited to "save" and "open" occur in the VS-UI thread which causes the VS-UI thread to hang/wait while file operation and file parsing completes. This is especially noticeable when VS file operation occurs over a WAN. VS file operations should be moved to their own thread separate from VS-UI thread allowing VS-UI to perform other tasks while file operation(s) complete including but not limited to allowing the VS-UI user to edit other open files/tabs.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • A program for Calculator uses 1 button and a program for Data Levels Chance Programming to force starting by first branch

I send Execution file of project includes the two programs.

About Calculator Program: Start debug then click on Calculator button then input First Number like 3 then OK then input Second Number like 2 then OK then input Operation like + then OK then show result sure it will be 5
                      This Program has 5 operations are: "+", "-", "*", "/" and "^",

About Data Levels Chance Programming program: you must start by branch_id=1,after first branch records finish you must continue by a fixed pattern of branch_id(2 then 3 then 4 .........etc),Price&Quantity of product must <>0, branch_id=INT(branch_id).
                      Best Regards
                      Ahmed…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • A program for Calculator uses 1 button and a program for Data Levels Chance Programming to force starting by first branch

About Calculator Program i sent in my prior suggestion
                        it has 5 Operations are:
                        "+", "-", "*", "/" and "^"

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I send Execution file of project includes the two programs.

About Calculator Program: Start debug then click on Calculator button then input First Number like 3 then OK then input Second Number like 2 then OK then input Operation like + then OK then show result sure it will be 5 .

About Data Levels Chance Programming program: you must start by branch_id=1,after first branch records finish you must continue by a fixed pattern of branch_id(2 then 3 then 4 .........etc),Price&Quantity of product must <>0, branch_id=INT(branch_id).
                          Best Regards
                          Ahmed Abdelrazek

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Access controls by "Sparse" Index - Even a Custom control with Index can not be accessed as: MyControl(x).Text or MyControl(x).Value

Access controls by "Sparse" Index - Even a Custom control with Index can not be accessed as: MyControl(x).Text or MyControl(x).Value

This was one of 2 major issues preventing me from porting VB 6 apps to .NET. The only implementation possible would require superfluous loops through the controls multiple times to mimic the behavior but at cost of performance. It wouldn't matter if the controls load in order, it only matters that I can access them in a specific order and that the index value can correspond to an object array indexed as well.

I had built a Wizard that built…

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Improve "Hexidecimal display" function during debugging

Not sure if this is "Debugger" or "IDE".
                              When debugging you can watch certain variables. The left column has the variable name and the next column shows the value. If the value is numeric (like int) then you have the option to show the value in "hexidecimal display". Similarly, if you hover over a variable, you see the value in decimal or hex depending on the setting.

I have 2 suggestions that would improve this function:
                              1) I would like it if we had the option to show BOTH the decimal AND hex value. This would simply add a column--one…

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Create a simple, automated way for us to deploy to environments other than Azure

It would be great if there was an automated way to build and deploy to internal applications.

Something that we can install internally that monitors builds and is configurable would be ideal

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Add groups for the controls on the bottom of the form!

When i design an app i use to have many DS,TA,TAM,BS,BN, Timers,etc... it will be nice to have something to arrange those items, something like virtual folders or groups (like groups in photoshop where you can drop layers in a named group)
                                  Hope the get the idea of what i'm talking about.
                                  I also attach a photo with my problem.

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • 'Add As Link' is hidden - Need more attentive option

"Add As Link" option while adding an existing item at "Solution Explorer" is hidden deeply inside the "Add" button of "Add Existing Item" dialog.

It would be nice to have separate button for both "Add" and "Add As Link" or make these options more visible to the user

Refer the attachment

2 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Grid readonly

It would be very helpful if the screen designer had an option for the whole grid to turn it to read-only. Like the read-only setting on the data grid row this could be a checkbox.
                                      This checkbox should change:
                                      - make command buttons (add/delete/modify) invisible
                                      - Set data grid row controls rto read-only
                                      - Hide the add new row in the grid.

That would save us a lot of work, and that's what LightSwitch is about .

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add AlternateContentPropertyAttribute to standard library

Since VS2012, in order to recognize alternate content of controls one has to decorate property with AlternateContentProperty [1]. This is quite common use case and Silverlight contains this attribute in its standard library.

Unfortunately the same is not true for WPF, where this attribute is present only in one of Visual Studio / Blend assemblies and therefore cannot be used directly. Instead, one has to go through much more laborious process of creating designer metadata assembly just to implement very basic functionality.

Please follow Silverlight and add this attribute to BCL.

[1] http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/764315/wpf-designer-does-not-recognize-children-of-custom-controls

5 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • In capacity planner, allow entry of partial days for time off by user and for holidays

We allow people to take half days off, and certain days (like Christmas Eve) are only half days, but there is no way to enter that directly. You can use an overall capacity percentage to get something approximately right, but it messes up the day-by-day burndown that nicely adjusts for time off.

This suggestion is to just modify the current planner to add this capability. We would combine this with the other suggestion to allow exclusion of weekends and holidays from the burndown. There is another suggestion that is a little broader to allow entry for any day of capacity…

25 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base