Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Add Scheduler Control in Metro UI

Microsoft can create A scheduler control , kind like calendar we have in MS Outlook where we can create appointments , send the appointments using the Icalendar format and the most important be able this control to embed it in oour Metro UI APP and be able to save through this scheduler control in the Local Scheduler of the machine.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • How to create very attractive 'Load Testing Report' in 'Microsoft Word' ?

How to create very attractive 'Load Testing Report' in "Microsoft Word" ?
      After completing load testing using 'microsoft visual studio ultimate 2010'

10 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • CodedUITest.cs file and its corresponding UIMap.uitest file into one folder

I want to add a .cs file and its corresponding generated UIMap file to a folder in Visual Studio 2012. But i think there is not feature like that exists. here is the link to my question in the forum

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vstest/thread/f0c08c0d-1ac4-4e4c-99ef-a70a604d243d

and the image related to this issue is added here

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add a search box to the Source Control Explorer to enable people to search for files from the currently selected directory.

Add a search box to the Source Control Explorer to enable people to search for files from the currently selected directory.

11 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add mandatory comments on commits

There needs to be a way to make comments on check-ins mandatory, currently on team foundation service it is optional to add comments on check-ins.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • tf unshelve / The item ... already exists

Please add a /force option in the unshelve feature or a simple merge feature.

We often have the horrible issue of "The item *** already exists" when unshelving files that already exists. This issue is blocking developers from unshelving simple files.

A workaround exists: simply unselect the files that exists but this may be insufficient

It's extremely important to support a merge operation on this.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfsversioncontrol/thread/ddaaea22-9713-4e91-858b-dec9c6611b9b

12 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Visual Studio 2012 Theme is Terrible!

I realize that you're trying to make VS 2012 look flatter like Windows 8 (metro), but it's now so flat that you can barely tell where one tool pallet ends and the other begins. The light theme is too light, and the dark theme is too dark.

Maybe take a look at XCode for inspiration, it's a dream to use in comparison. (I use both daily)

59 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Azure/Amazon EC2 support to spawn up VM Environments for Unit Tests/Coded UI Tests w/Gated Check-in

I would like ability to stand up vms as needed to run tests in parallel for each check-in that comes in. So if we have 80 devs checking into the system, it would be great to have the capability to load up test vms to run coded ui tests as needed. This is possible with other systems such as Jenkins (http://jenkins-ci.org/) and its various plug-ins in coordination with Amazon EC2!

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • The scope of Quick Find should default to "Current Document" for off-project files

When I click Ctrl + F to open Quick Find, the search scope defaults to the previously used one, which is good for the most part. But if the currently active tab consists of a file that isn't part of the current solution, and if the previously used scope was "Current Project" or "Entire Solution", then, I think the search scope should default to "Current Document". If the previously used scope was either "Current Document" or "All Open Documents", then it's fine to default to the previously used scope.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • TFSPreview build process parameters on website

I have a custom build process that requires some custom inputs which i have working great when inside Visual Studio, however when queuing a build on the tfspreview website there is no UI to input those same process parameters.

Link to original issue with screenshots:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/TFService/thread/fe9cae02-60f1-4ba6-9956-768d2d5eb46a

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Hide derived member calls callstack window

Option to hide or collapse base function calls from overloading functions within a single object instance within the debugger callstack window.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Make it easy to run generic T4 Templates as a button on the Visual Studio UI.

Make it easy to add T4 Templates to the Visual Studio UI so I don't have to create a Visual Studio Extension and package up. An extension should be an option, but I'd like to be able to drop T4 Templates into a folder and have Visual Studio automatically pick it up and make it show up in the Visual Studio UI as a button on a toolbar. The button opens a window with a list of available T4 Templates. Maybe allow sub folders to create a categorical list of T4 Templates. When a template is selected from the list…

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Search source code a TFS project collection, such as email address or connection string.

This ability existed in Visual Source Safe which would allow you to search though any text file under source control for a string.
                            This is very useful when you need to update a server name, or email address for all your code bases. (HTML pages, source code, text files etc.)
                            Thank you

16 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • In Coded UI Testing support complex controls like AutoCompletebox

Right now in coded ui testing we have to create some extension class and do some extra exercise to test Auto complete box And other Control
                              in that case what if i have only the exe file not code so i will not be able to test complex control i think in wpf toolkit and wpf extented toolkit Coded Ui testing should work directly without any extra exercise
                              for more details go to following link
                              http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsautotest/thread/10479885-7789-4268-9a85-55063274832d/#d63d6014-a848-40f0-8cd2-dc40faf3650d

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Enable functionality on the board to view more than one project at the same time

In our organisation we can be working on multiple projects at a time. The "board" view of the work only shows one project at a time. This doesn't give a true reflection of a 2 week sprint if in those 2 weeks you're working on multiple projects. it would be nice to be able to schedule iterations accross multiple projects and view it all on the "board".

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • POS devices support in WinRT

We can't use POS devices in WinRT at this moment.

We have customers who need to use barcode scanner with WinRT tablets, but we can't propose acceptable solution for them at this moment, because POS for .NET does not work in WinRT.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Enhance EF framework by adding implimentation of INotifyPropertyChanged to the T4 template as well as some partial methods

For EF, it would be great if we had INotifyPropertyChanged implemented by default in T4 templates. What I've done is used this, in conjunction with dbContext.ChangeTracker, to add a property called RowState (which would be another nice to have), so that I can bind to this property in a DataTrigger if needed. In addition, it would be nice if each property had its own partial method invocation (at least for each set), so that if we wanted to perform other tasks while a property is set we could easily extend in a partial class.

19 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • TFS 2012 > WIT Editor (Task) - Activity specific tabs

In Team Foundation Server 2012, using WIT Editor for the Task type, I need to be able to show/hide tabs based on the Activity field value of the task.

• Activity: Design => Design Review tab shown, Code Review tab hidden (see attachment: WITEditor_Task_Design.png)
                                      • Activity: Develop => Design Review tab hidden, Code Review tab shown (see attachment: WITEditor_Task_Develop.png)

Per suggested use of Activity for Tasks I'm adding a task for each activity required for the definition and implementation of a User Story (see attachment: VS2012Series_Agile_ActivityBasedTasks.png; see http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Visual-Studio-2012-Premium-and-Ultimate-Overview/Visual-Studio-Ultimate-2012-Coordinate-your-team-with-agile-project-management)

RATHER than creating new WITs for each of these activities such…

4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • TFS Feedback client should support multiple item submission

so on the Provide tab, clicking next should enable submit, not close aswell unless no more is to be entered.
                                        Currently having to create multiple items in one feedback then in TFS creating mutiple work items from this response. It would be better to be able to promote the individual response to a work item, either a task or bug.

12 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Support For VisualBrush In WinRT

In WPF we could use a VisualBrush to display a MediaElement's video elsewhere in our application. Now this has been taken away the only way I've found to keep a video running from page to page is to reset the source and position on a new MediaElement as removing it from the VisualTree and placing it somewhere else causes it to refresh itself. This leads to a noticeable gap in playback and gives the impression of a poor performing App. In my opinion this is worse than the performance reasons for removing the VisualBrush in the first place.

45 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base