Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Create a MSDN Subscription - Lite version - cheaper and limited tools

Currently all MSDN subscriptions are expensive for individual developers and they provide all s/w that are not really required by individuals.

An individual developer, for hobby, can use express editions of SQL Server, does not need Enterprise editions of OS / Office and similar software that increase the cost of MSDN license.

The suggestion is to create a MSDN Lite subscription that individual developers can buy and will provide tools such as Visual Studio, Expression Studio, Azure

The licensing cost should change little bit-
    * For individual developers, the rates should be lower.
    * For enterprises, the price can be…

1,202 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      21 comments  ·  MSDN  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • auto generate bugs after a automation test run

After my automation tests are run, I want any failed test case to automatically generate a bug report and place it on the specific person of my choise. I want this to be an easy option in test manager that could be configured in the test manager GUI. No coding required so my testers easy could configure it.
      And attachments should be possible to be added as well.

13 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make it possible to rename or do looup of device names under Usage/Environment/Device

The graph and list of devices when you monitor a Windows Phone application is displayed as "cryptic" RM-821_eu_euro1_247 and/or RM-1045_1006. This does not tell you anything meaningful. Please add feature where you lookup these numbers to actual devices (Ie Nokia Lumia 930 etc) or make it possible to rename the devices

11 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • On Visual Studio Online Allow us to change the time zone format to the local country format it is only available in the US time zone

Allow us to change the time zone format to the local country format it is only available in the US time zone

13 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Improve Debugging Experience for TypeScript and JavaScript

The debugging experience for TypeScript and JavaScript NEEDS to be way better.

The experience available in IE F12 or WebKit dev tools should (in parts) be replicated within VS: things such as the console, and device emulation.

The way things are in NodeJs Tools for VS, are much better than what we have for ASP.Net and TS/JS debugging, which is a little sad :(

20 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Release a sample on using Projection Buffers with Embedded Languages

Projection buffers are a powerful tool that allow developers to extend Visual Studio in incredible ways. However, there are no available samples explaining how to use them. This deters most developers from extending Visual Studio in cool ways.

I'd love for there to be a sample on how to correctly use projection buffers, particularly with embedded language services (ie. C# and VB .Net)

This issue goes back to Visual Studio 2010: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/e536bce3-30f9-4e7f-b322-b3835a487bb0/how-to-create-an-editor-with-a-projection-buffer?forum=vsx

18 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Make Code Lens available in Visual Studio Premium

Code Lens is a great new feature but since it right now only is available to Ultimate users few have the opportunity to take advantage of it. And it does not weigh up the cost of upgrading users to Ultimate. Since it is a tool that many would find useful please make it available for at least Premium users

29 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Make System.Net.Http referenced by default in new .NET 4.5 projects

Open Visual Studio 2013 and create a new console project or class library. By default, the project will reference System.Data, System.Data.DataSetExtensions, but not System.Net.Http.

This makes no sense.

How is it more likely that I will be working with DataSets than making HTTP requests? This is 2014, not 2004.

Please update the project templates to reflect the needs of programmers today.

55 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    7 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Make FileInfo.Length a method that could take a "format" parameter for the units ("B", "K", "M", etc),

Make FileInfo.Length a method that could take a "format" parameter for the units ("B", "K", "M", etc),

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Distinguish Applications by a user defined Environment

Right now, Application Insights seems to only distinguish between the Debug and Release version of an application. At my company. we have several "downstream" environments DEV/MAIN/QA/POST that an application might run in before it is deployed to production. In the QA and POST environment, the application will run the Release version of the code.

So, I would like to see a way where I can record the Environment an application is running in. Preferably it would be something in the web.config so the correct value can be set at deployment time.

The dashboard would let me either look at results…

84 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        4 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • to rewrite VS and Windows SDK header files appropriately so they don't produce humongous amount of warnings during compilation with /Wall

Whoever is responsible for writing, modifying VS and Windows SDK header files should make appropriate corrections in the code they contain so the header files adhere to good coding practices and therefore compile smoothly. The number of warnings these header files produce during compilation is extremely alarming and it explicitly forces user-code to be clumsy-written. When would we, the users, finally be able to write warning-free code as good coding-practices suggest in about every C++ programming course book on the market? What we have now just doesn't make any sense. Please correct this hideousness and embarrassment ASAP. Thanks.

18 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Use generics for DependencyProperties, Converters, and many other XAML-related objects

It annoys me a lot whether I have to cast values and check for null references all the time, and also makes the code less readable.

Using DependencyProperty<T> and Converter<T1, T2> would make XAML-friendly class constructions more efficient in performance, and comfortable to use in IntelliSense functions: For example, we should only be able to convert strings to ulongs by a class which implements Converter<string, ulong>.

For DependencyProperties, the GetValue() and SetValue() functions should also only accept arguments which the property specifies. Making DependencyProperties generic would also make the registered 'typeof(T)' argument useless.

9 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Path.TryGetAvailableSpace(path,SpaceEnum.UserWritable)

This should work. I should be able to "try" this on any file system (unc, junction, mount point, network, dvdrw) without pinvoke.

if (Path.TryGetAvailableSpace(var writablespace,path,SpaceEnum.UserWritable) > x) && writablespace < 123) { ... fail ... }

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Open Source SQL Server Compact (CE)

Although it has not been officially announced Microsoft is deprecating SQL Server Compact (CE). SQL Server CE filled a crucial use case for a small in process embedded database engine for applications and even websites. This need has not changed, if anything it has only become more so with the move to isolated phone and tablet (Metro) type apps. Without SSCE Microsoft won't have a product which fills this use case. Jet DB, MSDE and now SSCE will all be dead.
                              SQL Server Express LocalDB is not a replacement for SSCE, particularly due to the deployment constraints requiring admin privileges,…

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Database Projects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Warn when committing project file changes that don't include referenced files

A common mistake on just about every project I've worked on is a developer has commit a change to a project file that references a new file, but has not included the file. It would be nice if TFS showed a warning before / when this occurs. There could be valid reasons for letting this still proceed regardless, so a soft fail might be better than a hard fail.

Please Consider both Git and TFVC

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Non-modal UI for Extensions and Updates download and install

When downloading an extension (say VS Web Essentials), Visual Studio IDE is completely blocked. Why should I have to watch through the progress of the extension download progress bar? Please make this non-modal.

44 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Support Enterprise Library Logging for Application Insights Diagnostics Logging

Application Insights currently has adapter support for Log4Net, NLog, and TraceListener logging. Please support Enterprise Library Logging!

44 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      3 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Allow Editor Style integration with Metadata

Sample idea:

"I want to tell VS that EF scalar and navigation properties in a linq query must be colored orange in my code."

General Idea:

Suppose you have a Data Layer generated by your own T4 templates for Entity Framework, and you add some properties to those Entity classes through partials. Then you make many linq queries.
                                      How many time you peek to the definition of some property in order to know if it is a custom property or an actual EF mapped property?

It could be nice that we can match attributes (e.g. [NavigationProperty]) with some visual style…

8 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Make it possible to clone the test plan but keeping the original test case area path

When we are working with teams each team has its own area path. Also if we use the area path to organize the test cases by the software functionality we need to keep the original area path when cloning the test plan. Now we need to specify an default area path when we are cloning the test plan, and all cloned test cases are updated with this area path, overriding the ones we assign previously., making the cloning feature useless in this situation.

18 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • add more options in VS search dialog

options like
                                          * "search in strings only" / "not in strings"
                                          * "search in comments only" / "not in comments

21 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base