Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Automatic formatting of C++ source is very helpful, but ...

There are problems with the automatic formatting of "if" statements.

For example, if I have a statement in the form of:

if (function_name(parm1, parm2,
    parm3,parm4)) {

it is not formatted as illustrated above. I believe everyone, regardless of their preferences for spacing and brace placement can agree that this is the preferred formatting. What is actually done is:

if (function_name(parm1, parm2,
    parm3,parm4)) {

This is clearly not correct. To make this clear, the continuation of function arguments is not aligned to the first argument but aligned to the beginning of the function call.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Make Visual Studio Online faster

Visual Studio Online needs to be faster, it needs performance tuning... I'm talking Google Apps level speed.

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Notify owner/reviewers when a new comment is added to a Git pull request

Currently (TFS 2013.4) alert emails are not sent when a reviewer adds a comment to a Git pull request. This can result in comments being missed by the pull request owner. Ideally comment alerts would be batched so that users involved in a pull request get fewer separate notifications.

9 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Implement a search box in the 'Choose Test' dialog window under 'Associated Automation' for a Test Case work item.

Implement a search box in the 'Choose Test' dialog window under 'Associated Automation' for a Test Case work item.

As a solution grows, the number of test cases grow as well. We have hundreds, if not thousands of tests and scrolling through to associate a work item with an existing test is exhausting. Please add a search box that can filter out tests as you type into it to the 'Choose Test' dialog.

10 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Powershell enable/disable alerts

Please allow powershell enable/disable existing alerts. We know when we deploy that availability alerts for example will trigger. Please allow us to script a pre-deploy alert disable and a post-deploy re-enable using powershell.

8 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Auto-adjusting alerts based on moving averages, and more

Please enable alerts by a percent or hard number above or below a threshold calculated by AI, as in the average value of this metric for this time of day for this day of the week. On Sunday and Monday, we have low traffic to our apps, so it is very unlikely for alerts based on Friday volume to trigger, even though there may be issues for the low volume users on a Sunday or Monday.

7 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Build Definitions with Admin privileges

In a pre or post build process, there are times when administrator privileges are required in order to automate some tasks such as installing dependencies that may be required in order to run tests on the build server.

Please make it possible for us to install dependencies (that require administrator privileges) in pre/post build and/or pre/post test .

5 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Support markdown as an alternative to html for workitems

Markdown is now widely adopted and that would be a more fluid experience when writing workitems.

Having to select text and click on a toolbar to do basic formatting such as bullet points is not really efficient.

Github like support would allow code snippet in Tasks which might prove to be helpful.

32 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Please keep the Reference Source symbol server updated

The Reference Source is a very useful feature, particularly so for its ability to step through framework code. But that feature never lasts very long after a release. Many programmers have .NET 4.5.2 on their machine today, the server doesn't supply the necessary PDBs. Downgrading to 4.5.1 is painful and often not possible at all.

Please keep the server updated.

72 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      3 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Bring back displaying fully qualified interface names instead of "unknown-type"

I kindly request that you bring back the display of a fully qualified interface name in every location you have chosen to replace it with "unknown-type" text. I "do not" appreciate the change. Seeing what specific interface argument is being expected in a method signature gives me a helluva lot more information at a glance than just seeing "unknown-type". I see that your naming the arguments by the expected type to try and make things clear. I just don't get the point this. Please put it back the way it was or as an alternative write a Blog post on…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Provide support for compile time checks of WPF bindings

We already have intellisense for the Bindings when setting the design time DataContext on a Window.This however is not enough.

We also need compile time checking of the bindings. Please provide this.

112 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          4 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Support pull requests from different repositories

So, our company is split. Product development and projects. Recently the product team wanted to deploy the new TFS git features to use a PR based workflow. We cannot.

Short version: Please allow pull requests from other repositories/forks.

This solves a number of issues:

- Right now write access would be needed to the target repo [2] [3]
                          - Right now there are no security limitations. "Can send a PR" means "can change our code"

So far, PRs are 'incomplete' as far as I can tell, so [1] is really merely half the support/part of the plumbing.

1: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3891599-tfservice-git-pull-requests

2:…

24 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Support for Visual Studio Code

I simply love working with Visual Studio Tools for Unity when I'm developing Android and Windows Phone apps, but what about iOS? Anyone who uses Unity for developing iOS apps knows how painful is to work with MonoDevelop. Visual Studio Code for mac brings a much better code editor for Unity, but it would be truly complete if we have the same integration level of Visual Studio Tools for Unity. Please consider supporting Visual Studio Code.

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Stop Auto allocating licenses when non existing users are added to a security group

We are experiencing an issue with auto assignment of available licenses when adding a non existing users to a team project security group.

Example:
                              We have purchased a number of monthly licenses, and have not assigned all. 8 advanced and 57 basic. We have used 6 advanced and 49 Basic.

The User licenses are purchased centrally from our corporate IT department. Users are created and licenses are assigned by the corporate IT department.

We have over 200 team project (one for each customer) and each project have its own adminitrator that does the user assignment locally for that team project.

13 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • JSON literals in C# and VB

The baked in XML literal support in C# and VB are awesome - but the modern web runs off JSON.

JSON literal support would be a immensely useful.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Additional PSRemoting options and package download via HTTP(S)

Could you please provide a way to specify the Enter-PSSession options -ConfigurationName, -Port, -Authentication and -CertificateThumbprint, next to the ones that are already available when deploying a component (such as UseCredSSP, SkipCaCheck, etc.)?
                                  Especially -ConfigurationName would be welcome, since it would allow admins to create a dedicated PSSessionConfiguration that can be secured appropriately.

Also, could you please provide a more firewall-friendly option than file shares to download the deployment package from? Perhaps something like HTTP(s) or SFTP/FTPS downloads.

Both features would help in using Release Management in Test/Acceptance/Production environments that are separated from eachother through firewall and/or network routing rules…

46 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Add Code Analysis check for missing FreeHGlobal when using AllocHGlobal

When using C# Code Analysis I would like to see a rule check for the use of Marshal.AllocHGlobal without a corresponding Marshal.FreeHGlobal to free the unmanaged memory that was allocated.

10 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Support .NET Builds without requiring Visual Studio on the server

To build certain PCL libraries and libraries for Windows 8 RT requires having Visual Studio on the server.

Nick Berardi writes about a workaround that allows running a build server without VS, but it's really just a workaround for functionality that should be easy.

Not to mention there's probably licensing considerations we're just ignoring by doing that.

http://nickberardi.com/a-net-build-server-without-visual-studio/

Please make it easy (and legal) to build .NET projects on a server without requiring a Visual Studio installation (or license) on that server.

3,002 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        21 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Provide official logos for the .NET languages

We need something to stick on our laptops.

22 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Niklas,

Cool suggestion. We actually do have, or at least had, logos for the .NET languages and stickers bearing them. I have one for VB on one of my laptops and one of each for VB, C#, and F# on another. We used to give these out at conferences and events, I’m not sure if we ran out. At times we’ve also had T-shirts and mugs. Everyone’s always asking us where they can get them. We really should put up a storefront somewhere so that all our fans can show their love. I’ll get on that and let you know what we come up with.

Regards,

Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic, C#, and F# Languages Team

• Please hide past Iterations from drop down for new items

I like that Iterations once ended get placed under past, as time goes on a long list grows under the Iteration dropdown. I would like to see either an option to hide past iterations from drop down or make them automatically not be included since it does not make sense to add any work to an Iteration in the past.

10 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)