Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Choose multiple extensions first, then take action at once!!

Every time there is a new installation of VS, I have to install 12 extensions one by one. Would be nice if you guys make it like WebMatrix installation launcher, where you first add multiple extensions to your bucket list and then install them at once.

Same goes for deletion.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add Table-Valued Function support to LightSwitch attached database data sources

The ability to add database views to LightSwitch attached database data sources is very powerful in allowing you to "shape" the data that you send back to the client. Although you can create a query in the LightSwitch data source over such an imported database view and add additional parameters, the way that those parameters interact with the underlying view is auto generated by the Entity Framework and you do not have any control over that. Additionally, views might sometimes not be the optimum way to get the best performance when doing this.

Table Valued Function (TVF) support has been…

11 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • allow us to have more than 3 projects listed in the project drop down list (TFS Web)

I have many TFS Projects. Basically, when I want to switch to another project, I pretty much always have to click 'Browse All' because the drop down list only shows the last 3 accessed. It would be great to configure how much projects are listed into the drop down list.

25 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Open source Silverlight

Blog post at http://davidburela.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/is-it-time-to-open-source-silverlight/

For all intents and purposes Microsoft now views Silverlight as “Done”. While it is no longer in active development it is still being “supported” through to 2021 (source).

However there is still a section of the .Net community that would like to see further development done on the Silverlight framework. A quick look at some common request lists brings up the following stats:

* 5,720+ votes to release Silverlight 6 https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3556619-silverlight-6
          * Feature requests for Silverlight http://dotnet.uservoice.com/forums/4325-silverlight-feature-suggestions
          * Microsoft connect list of active Silverlight feature requests: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/SearchResults.aspx?KeywordSearchIn=2&SearchQuery=%22silverlight%22&FeedbackType=2&Status=1&Scope=0&SortOrder=10&TabView=1
          Rather than letting Silverlight decay in a locked up…

2,364 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            44 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • odata v4

upgrade Lightswitch OData to v4

63 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add support for Unity Testing Tools

Modify the solution generator to put files found in Editor -> Tests folder hierarchies in a separate project. This way the Visual Studio test explorer should pick up the Unit tests created for Unity Testing Tools (provided the NUnit Test Adapter extension is installed)

10 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi!

Thanks for this suggestion!

I’m afraid supporting running Unity Testing Tools from the Test Explorer is not as easy as simply creating a Test projects for the Tests, as the code needs to run in the context of Unity.

We could however implement a custom test adapter to run the Unity NUnit tests remotely inside Unity. We will investigate the matter.

Jb Evain, Senior SDE Lead, Tools for Unity

• Execution of c# in the browser without a plugin

Now that microsoft has announced roslyn, .Net native and CoreFX it's possible that whole apps can be portable enough to effectively run anywhere.

Most browsers have support for things like webGL and libraries that can do amazing things.

Can we have a javascript library that we can give a dll name to in order to call a function within it inside the browser.

Example:
                I've been building a toolkit for stacking complex perlin noise modules together, running the result in javascript would be insanely slow.
                Allow me to send a request in to a C# assembly to call a method…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • New debugging feature: debug shunts

I sometimes find myself running code in a testing configuration where certain parts of the code can't be run, or certain variables need values assigned. Currently, I set a breakpoint at the start of the code that needs to be skipped, or at the point where variables need to be set up, and then I use 'Set Next Statement' and assignments in the Watch pane to set things up.

This works fine, except that if I need to do multiple test runs, I have to repeat these steps *every single time*. For that reason, I'd like to propose a new…

23 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • User Voice: Let the the USERS decide when a suggestion is "completed"!

Several of the features that I care about and have voted on have been marked as "completed" on user voice -- but they're clearly not, a good example of this is:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2654486-vs11-bring-back-the-old-pending-changes-window

But there have been many others -- and you can see in the comments for such items that many users completely disagree that the action taken qualifies as "completing" the solution to the initial problem.

Let us vote on the response as to whether it's satisfactory or not (or even Like/Dislike) -- if a response gets enough negative votes (say, more than 50%?), the User Voice team team…

15 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  MSDN  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Become more public on where WPF is going.

Get out front of where WPF is headed. Provide Roadmaps like the Prism team does. When will we see WPF based on the WinRT stack instead of Win32?, When will we see the same control set in both WinRT and WPF, What is the migration path for the underlying technologies into a single stack that is usable on the DESKTOP, not store apps. We are patient, if we see a path to the future. Provide that information please.

5 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow a VS Online account to be moved to another region

Initially, only the USA regions were available for VS Online accounts. Now it's also possible to choose West Europe.
                        I'd like to be able to move the account I have to West Europe, keeping the URL.

7 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Treat WPF with the respect it deserves and fix its performance issues

It's clear that WinRT/NET is the future. And it's clear migration from WPF to WinRT/NET won't be that difficult. But WinRT/NET for desktop won't be available for Windows 7, although I'm sure you'll push it to Win8.X when Win10 comes out. Considering Win7 adoption it will still take at least 5 years before we can ship products just for WinRT/NET!

Hire another 20 developers and fix WPF! Specifically fix the performance! Rendering needs to be a lot faster!

I can't understand why MS is saving on WPF by investing only in WinRT/NET, at the same time pushing away millions of…

5 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Allow better transparency control in WPF 3D, or autosort elements

I know it doesn't aim at replacing directX, but is very useful for some common scenarios (Carousel & so on).

But the transparency issue is really, really, really a huge pain when you have a complex scene graph.

Could you either set an attached property defining the "ZOrder" of the item in the 3D scene, or at least allow alpha culling ( = not drawing transparent pixels in the depth buffer ). Because moving an item in its parent list isn't viable in complexe scenarios (and isn't really compatible with Viewport2DVisual3D).

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • FlowDocument

Performance Improvement for FlowDocumentScrollViewer and FlowDocument

8 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Make the Aero/Aero2 themes look like the native controls.

The Aero2 theme does not match the native controls. Whereas Buttons etc. just look a bit off, some controls were straight up forgotten, e.g. ListView's GridView row selection.

The Aero theme looks like Vista, even on Win7 machines. With the install-base of Win7 probably being the majority it would be better if the Aero theme would match Win7 native controls (mostly color issues). Aero also lacks proper styling for ListBoxItem and ComboBoxItem.

While this sounds a bit like nitpicking in light of much larger problems (performance) the fixes should be easy enough to implement.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Free CI system for Open Source projects (TravisCI and Appveyor)

Please provide a free CI system hosted on Azure for open source projects, which integrates with GitHub (and offers logon with GitHub). Examples are; TravisCI and AppVeyor. AppVeyor is Windows based, but 1) it is extremely slower than Linux-based Travis, 2) it doesn't support extension development (for example Web Essentials). Note: both of them offer configuration files in sleek .yml format (JSON is a new XML and YAML was a new JSON). So something nameless-extension-only; .vsoci.yml or .azureci.yml would be appreciated.

The aim is to enable OSS community to test and build their projects on multiple platforms: Windows, Linux (Ubuntu,…

5 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • add emoji support to the visual studio editor.

Seriously, how cool would that be?

53 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      4 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Bring back the "VISUAL" in visual studio

Visual studio used to look really great. However, everything about the 2012/13/14 interface looks.. amateurish.

-The icon looks like something a 3 year old did.

-The lack of depth makes the whole thing jump into my face. Please bring back the "line work" with contrast.

We have incredibly high resolution monitors that can render beautiful images. To go all grey is such a step backwards.

In the old days people scrambled to get color monitors just to get away from the ho-hum grayness of working with a machine all day. To send us backwards is irritating at best and abusive…

19 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        6 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Can we have feature of copy paste reference(s) of one project to another project

I have few projects in my solution. My one project has already added references of few third party assemblies (e.g. Telerik). I need to add all those references to my another project. So rather than browsing and adding reference, how about Copy Reference & Paste Reference option ?

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Improve support for multiple users using Web Deploy Publish Preview

The Preview pane of the Web Publishing dialog in Visual Studio works quite nicely when you're the only developer working on the codebase. However, it seems to fall down when multiple developers publish. It includes a lot of phantom changes in the list (once you drill in, the two panes of the diff are the same).

Perhaps the information used to detect changed files could be cached on the web application that is being published to. Of anything, that would be a great publish profile option.

10 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base