Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add .NET and JVM support for the Java Language

I would like to see full support for the Java programming language in Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition. The language would be able to target either the Java Virtual Machine or the .NET Runtime. By default IIS would provide support for web applications and services developed in Java that target either runtimes.

Visual Studio is by far the best IDE let down by the fact that it does not support Java 100%. You was almost there with J# which was great. I was disappointed when you dropped support for J#.

JetBrains IntelliJ is a very good Java IDE, and I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow conditional formatting for WIT templates (TFS)

We have a wit template that has a "billable" field - If the value is yes I would like to highlight it, bold it, etc. Is conditional formatting available? This would bring the developers attention to the field and log their time accordingly.

I am logging here as I was encouraged to by way of a forum post : https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/918e1abf-ff6e-42f5-ba82-bee052cb3989/conditional-formatting-on-a-field-value?forum=tfsprocess

Thanks in advance,
      John

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Better Email Notification management

It would be really useful if we have a way to subscribe to alerts/notification instead of everyone receiving a deployment failure email.

19 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Build in an option (command line) in the feedback client to set an area for the feedback response

The feedback client as a tool can only be used for requested feedback and not for voluntary feedback in a situation where access for a reviewer is only given to a sub-area. By default (although no decent error appears so I'm assuming here) it chooses the top area and thus submitting fails.
          Allowing a reviewer to choose the area solves this problem. A command line switch would be perfectly suited for it but otherwise the choice should be made when selecting the project for which one wants to submit a voluntary review.

12 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Add development tutorials in VS2015

I am a start-up developer, like many other people, and it's hard for in a console, so we could do a bit less work, and make it easier to me to utilize all the features in VS, so I can't do things as good as professionals, but here's an idea: Make it possible for start-ups to write a line of code which explains what you want to do in graphics or have more apps utilizing all the possible features of Windows 10. Like an AI similar to IntelliTrace, but also having more features so if you type a command called…

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Fast and fluid goodness for WPF - Animations on a separate Thread

Although potentially one can do a lot of things with the animation system, most of the time they tend to look quite choppy compared to Win 8. Fast and fluid is the Mantra isn't it. ;-)

92 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow ReadOnly Modeling Projects for Premium and Professional versions of Visual Studio

Well, as soon as the ALM Assessment Rangers Workbook has a question in Architecture & Design Spreadsheet asking if all of the team members have access to all the project diagrams, it makes sense that all Visual Studio versions have at least Read Only access to the modeling project.

Nowadays, to accomplish it, I need to manually export the diagrams and publish it on any portal, like Sharepoint.

10 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Built-in conditional compilation by framework version, eg #if NET40

.NET version-based conditional compilation can be achieved as described in various Stack posts, however this requires the advanced skill of editing the project file or build file. It would be much simpler if VS had pre-baked constants eg one per framekwork version NET20, NET30, NET40 and "forwards" versions eg NET40_AND_ABOVE.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2923210/conditional-compilation-and-framework-targets

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1449925/is-it-possible-to-conditionally-compile-to-net-framework-version

PS category should be Build or Compile but that doesn't exist

10 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Universal Azure App Template

It could be great if Visual Studio had a default template name "Universal Azure App".

This template will fully cross usage of Universal App (W10) and Azure App Service to provide a mobile cloud-centered app in less than a minute.

So, this template will create a solutions with 2 projects (Universal + Azure App).

And, to be more productive, create a modulable template (with checkboxes) that can implement by default :

* Table query (like the simple Todo sample)
                    * Authentication (Facebook, Twitter, ... on both sides)
                    * Deconnected mode (SQLite and pull/push pattern)
                    * SignalR (both client and server…

5 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Remote debugging should work through firewalls without having to forward ports.

When debugging across the internet, having to manually configure the remote firewall to forward specific ports to a specific PC is not always possible. Especially when the remote site is a customer owned site. It would be fantastic if the remote debugger had the option to connect through firewalls without having to forward ports, similar to how Skype, Team Viewer, etc.. can. I realize this might require an external server, so it should be an option but still default to the current peer-to-peer behavior.

5 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add ability to search for methods in "Create Script Methods" dialog menu

"Create Script Methods" dialog menu does not have "Search" nagivation bar for developers to type and search for methods in the list of methods.

I request the ability to search for methods in the "Create Script Methods" dialog menu.

See attachment.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add T-SQL forum

Add "languages - TSQL" to UserVoice. Also database developers has some good ideas ;)

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Make Logging in to Azure from Visual Studio work when using 2 factor identification for your Microsoft Account

I can't login to the Azure Tools for Visual Studio. I've got 2 factor authentication set up for my Microsoft Account.

I get sent to the page that tells me to wait for the app to allow. I allow the access, then I get sent back to the login screen again! So annoying!

Does nobody on the Azure Tools for Visual Studio team use "two step authentication?" http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/two-step-verification-faq

This is dead simple to reproduce.

1. Have an azure account tied to a two-step authentication enabled Microsoft Account.
                            2. Try to use that account in Visual Studio.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  Windows Azure Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Web test (URL ping test) improvements

URL ping tests are making requests for not just the URL indicated, but also dependent requests for embedded resources (css, js, images, etc.). These embedded resources should not be downloaded, and if they are that should be an extra opt-in or opt-out setting rather than the default behavior without any choice. This is causing far too much data to get downloaded per web test.

My workaround is to author my own web test with a single step in it that doesn't parse dependent requests, however this is less than ideal and hopefully can just be a short-term solution.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Support for more API levels in Android Emulator (e.g. JellyBean 4.1)

Visual Studio Android Emulator is great, but it only supports Lollipop (5.0+).

Lots of devices out there still use older versions of Android, e.g. 4.3.

Please add more downloadable images to the emulator or allow to create them - like AVD does.

4 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Documents->Options should have a box to select that new files (File->New) are saved in the directory of currently active document

When one is adding a class or .h file it is almost always in the directory you're working and unless you're working on small project almost never in the project directory.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • m13kd.visualstudio.com

Https://Xcl.Xbox.Com/ a direct line to the Xbox LIVE Community and a realtime safeguard against LIVE ID Theft. Ambassador Communication APP Station to upload Status Codes, Error Messages, network manipulation in active relay to the LIVE TEAM real time approach to see how much of a pleasant UX overall will be enacted especially for the Consumers whom pay for XBOX LIVE Gold Services & WLID users overall, Xbox or Personal Computing powered by Windows Ten soon. Interconnectivity between PC and Console along with the advent of Cross Platform Device communications seem to house this idea of mine since 2011.#m13kd
                                    End User…

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add unary ternary operator

Hi,

I'd like to ask you to allow omitting the last argument of the ternary operator, like the follows:

var checked = flag ? "checked";

Instead of:

var checked = flag ? "checked" : (string)null;

This might be very useful in Razor engine, for adding classes like .active etc.

12 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow restricting state transition based on field value

Allow restricting state transition based on field value

Given state A, B, C and transitions A -> B -> C and A -> C, it should be possible to restrict the A -> C transition based on a field value.

A current workaround is to always allow the transition, and refused the transition when saving. However, this is not user-friendly given that the transition is displayed to the user.

Another workaround is to use security, however, there are many scenarios where that is not the defining factor.

5 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Workflow service standalone execution without hosting

Provision to run Windows workflow service without hosting as service, like standalone application

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base