Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Implement more C++ TS (Filesystem is great!, now Concepts!!) You get the edge over gcc and clang

Technical specifications greatly improve c++ usability. Filesystem is amazing. You can surpass gcc and clang in implementation.
    C++ needs a bigger and bigger library

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • search sub ‘dll’ or ‘exe’ folder of symbol path when resolving symbols in Visual Studio 2012 and 2013

Before Visual Studio 2010, VS will search 'dll' and 'exe' sub folders of the symbol path specified by _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable. Since Visual Studio 2012, the symbol resolve logic is changed and VS doesn't search the two sub folders anymore, can you add this feature back?

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Application Insights - Implement SDK as Portable Class Libs - Support Xamarin IOS / Android / WinPhone Silverlight / WinRT / WPF

It would seem that AppInsights client side SDK should be a PCL. This would greatly extend the reach.
        Basically, in this day and age, any app developer must write for all mobile platforms - WinPhone, IOS, Android, WinRT. Xamarin has proven the viability of PCL, and with great frameworks like MVVMCross (also a PCL) . Why MS is still building frameworks like AI that are not implemented as PCL is beyond me.

14 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Mac support for VSTU

For VSTU tools for Unity add Mac support while running VS under virtual machine, so debugging and opening files and projects on correct line number and such from Mac Unity to VS. Debugging ios also *doesnt hold breath* or he'll just release VS for Mac natively :-D

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Compatibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Update Network Configuration Documentation for TFS

The following online documentation for networking (e.g. ports, protocols, services which need to be updated on firewalls) needs to be updated:
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252473.aspx
            http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff652627(v=vs.120).aspx

The pages above should be combined to provide a single view of the requirements.

The pages are missing:
            - Release Management components
            - Port 445 requirements (e.g. Build Controller to Drop Folder, Test Controller to Test Agent)

The Team Foundation Server Architecture diagram doesn't match the table below the diagram e.g. TFS App Tier to Build Agent using SOAP over 9191

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Property inspector popups need better handling on portrait or narrow monitors

I use a widescreen monitor, but I have it in portrait mode. Most code is not very wise, and this allows me to see a lot more of my code ( a little less than 100 lines at 100% zoom).

Unfortunately, when debugging and breaking the execution, if I want to inspect property or variable values, and the value contains members that have very long values, the popup box extends off the side of the screen to the left (where I do not have additional desktops or screens).

It would be helpful if the popups were fully free floating and…

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • The current Quick reference guides are for VS 2012. Any plans to update for 2013? If yes, when?

The current Quick reference guides are for VS 2012. Any plans to update for 2013? If yes, when?

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add Track active item in Pending changes

Pending changes locate file like in solution.
                  With enable track active item in solution explorer.

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Report errors from AfxHtmlHelp in more detailed form

When calling HtmlHelp from an MFC application, there is only one generic error message when the help could not be invoked (see wincore.cpp, line 1871).
                    I would like to suggest that MFC should try to find out more detailed information about the error using HH_GET_LAST_ERROR. At present, there is only the information that Help could not be launched, but there is no indication whatsoever on what went wrong for which reason.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add "?." operator to C#

Add the "?." operator to C# and make it chainable like CoffeeScript so we don't have to write null reference checks for every nested property. An example would be:
                      myObject?.Items?.[0]?.DoSomething()

5,366 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        204 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are seriously considering this feature for C# and VB, and will be prototyping it in coming months. Syntax in C# would be

e?.x // member access
                        e?.M(…) // method invocation
                        e?[…] // indexing

Semantically this will be similar to

(e == null) ? null : e.x

etc., except that e will only be evaluated once of course.

If the type of e.x (etc) is a non-nullable value type S, then the type of e?.x is S?. Otherwise the type of e?.x is the same as that of e.×. If we can’t tell whether the type is a non-nullable value type (because it is a type parameter without sufficient constraints) we’ll probably give a compile-time error.

Thanks for all the great comments!

Mads Torgersen
                        C# Language PM

• Allow export of Team room discussions

We used the teamroom extensively, only to realize later that there is no way to export the past discussions .. which would be useful for many reasons. A simple XML file would probably be sufficient.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Using C# GUI to capture User Actions Steps for Test Automation & running the tests using QTP

Subject: Using C# GUI to capture User Actions Steps for Test Automation & running the tests using QTP

Hello Everybody, I am a Test Automation Solutions Architect with exposure to QTP, Selenium, OATS. I want to understand if there is a feasibility to capture Test Case Action Steps in a C# based GUI and further invoke / execute those Test Cases using QTP / Selenium or any other automation tool as the execution engine?
                          I am new to C# and any help around this execution logic will be highly appreciated.
                          Thanks in advance!

Regards,
                          Nayan

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Use more than one WPF-Touch applications simultaneously with touch.

I have a Dell xps 2720 System. -->10 Finger Touch. Everything works fine as long I do not open the application more than one time! It seems the .net Framework is not able to share its touch system over more than one wpf Application.

More information in this post.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/1051614f-56f0-4641-a5fa-e99cc0156365/use-more-than-one-wpftouch-applications-simultaneously-with-touch?forum=wpf#ba13b5fc-3ecc-453c-9230-584de6cec968

26 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Let me create a work item from source code, linked to that source code, like //TODO:

I'd love to be able to create Work Items linked to a specific spot in source code.

I maintain legacy projects, and often spot areas for improvement. But there's no easy way to anchor a Work Item to a specific block of source code.

I'd love to be able to highlight a block of code, right-click, Create Work item, and have the Work Item associated with that code, so opening the work item would take me straight to it.

The Task List is close to what I want, but doesn't get me credit for closing bugs :)

7 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • CSS Navigation Toolbar

Provide a navigation toolbar to navigate CSS classes in the same manner that was originally planned for JavaScript: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2013/07/16/javascript-editor-improvements-in-visual-studio-2013-preview.aspx

In addition, additional features for editing and navigating around CSS stylesheets should be offered similar to what is offered by tools such as TopStyle 5: http://topstyle4.com/

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Enable rendering of XAML not present in visual tree into image for WinRT 8.1

With WinRT 8.1 new functionality has been added to render XAML as an image but the XAML has to be added to the visual tree. It would be nice to be able to render XAML that is not on the visual tree and perhaps in a background task.

11 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Add Shelveset improvements....

Add the following improvements

1. Allow Shelvesets to be created from changesets (as in, multiple changesets can be used to create a Shelveset)

2. Add Shelveset "undo" to cleanup the changes made from unshelving a shelveset.

3. Support directly unshelving a shelveset to a different branch (yes, I know you can use TFPT, it would be nice if this was built-in)

4. Make Find Shelvesets easier to find... it's a pain right now, and confusing for people. I always have to tell them how to unshelve, because they can't find it themselves.

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Expose a VS Command to show the Debugger DataTip

Please expose the option show the DataTip for the symbol under the cursor via a VS Command so that it can be bound to a keyboard shortcut. When debugging, hovering the mouse over a symbol in the editor displays a DataTip (like a floating mini-watch item) that can be further expanded and pinned to the editor using the Pin To Source pin or context menu entry. Presumably the mouse handler already runs some routine to display the DataTip, so this routine must just be bound and exposed as a Command. While the PinToSource command is exposed as EditorContextMenus.CodeWindow.PinToSource, there seems…

4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow users to sort, classify, and group Screen Members in the left pane of the LightSwitch Screen Designer

When designing a complex screen in LightSwitch, the left pane quickly becomes a jumbled mess as Queries, Objects and Variables are placed in order of their creation while Methods appear alphabetically at the bottom.

While you can drag Screen Members up and down to position them, it takes a long time to move each item and there's still no obvious structure to help you find things.

It would be good if the user could sort this list and possibly create some sort of classification or hierarchy in order to group members together by function - eg all the variables/objects/queries/methods used…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add value delegate parameter to MemoryCache.AddOrGetExisting

Current implementation of MemoryCache AddOrGetExisting method is not useful if creation of cache value is an expensive operation.
                                          So it would be good if instead of value object parameter, object creation delegate will be added.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base