How can we improve Team Services?

Add the ability to use the same shared step multiple times with different parameters in the same iteration

At present you can use a shared step multiple times in the same iteration, however, you can only use it with the same parameter values.

It would be extremely useful from a test case design perspective if you could use a shared step multiple times in the same iteration with different parameter values each time the shared step is used.

111 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark BatchelerMark Batcheler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Leandro SantosLeandro Santos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm interested on this topic too. We are using shared steps as well, but when this steps need to be repeated on the same TC but using different parameter values we cannot do it and have to either create messy TC with all the steps from shared steps inside the main test case so we can change the parameters name.

Example: Test case were I want to simulate users login in the website and buying different products.
        I would have 2 shared steps:
        Shared step 1: User login with @username @psw
        Shared Step 2: and I select and buy @product @quantity

My TC would be:
        Shared step 1
        Shared Step 2
        Shared Step 2
        Shared Step 2
        Shared Step 2

But I cannot since for one iteration the parameters @product @quantity will be always the same

• Mark BatchelerMark Batcheler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ravi

I've now upgraded to Test Manager 2015 and had the chance to review this properly. Whilst the Shared Parameters functionality is certainly useful, I'm not sure that it covers this suggestion.

In the suggestion above I'm looking to be able to run a test case once but be able to loop through one or more of the parameters during one iteration.

For example:
        Test Case 1 Iteration 1
        Shared Step 1 (Step 1)
        Shared Step 2 (Step 2)
        Shared Step 3 (Step 3)
        Step 4
        Step 5
        Step 6

BEGIN LOOP
        Step 7 with parameter 1 set to value 1
        Step 8 with parameter 2 set to value a
        Step 9 with parameter 3 set to value !

Step 7 with parameter 1 set to value 2
        Step 8 with parameter 2 set to value b
        Step 9 with parameter 3 set to value #
        END LOOP

Step 10
        Shared Step 4 (Step 11)

This would be useful because sometimes a test case can become very large and you don't always want to have to run the same test case multiple times across different iterations. Currently, you have to go through every step in sequential order before starting again on a new iteration.

The new shared parameter functionality doesn't really allow for this and instead allows you to use the same parameters across multiple test cases (Which in itself is useful)

• Mark BatchelerMark Batcheler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ravi.

I think I need to see this in action upon upgrading to 2015 before I can comment. We plan to do so within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Mark Batcheler

• ABAB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please! I was really disappointed when I found that this could not be done. Now I have to create very redundant test steps multiple times.

• DWDW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More flexibility in this area to apply different sets of parameter values to multiple calls to the same shared step would really make shared steps more valuable to our organization.

Feedback and Knowledge Base