Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug. Note that Application Insights has moved to its own UserVoice forum.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

8,139 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      496 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update 7/30/2015 – A preview release of SlowCheetah for Visual Studio 2015 is available on the VS Gallery – https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/05bb50e3-c971-4613-9379-acae2cfe6f9e. Please let us know on our GitHub if you run into any issues – https://github.com/sayedihashimi/slow-cheetah. We will try to fix them as soon as possible. The preview only supports VS 2015, but we will be expanding that soon.

Hello. This suggestion has gained a great deal of momentum so we would like to share our plans to address configuration driven XML transforms in Visual Studio. We understand that this is potentially blocking many teams and projects from moving forward to Visual Studio 2015. While we will not be implementing this functionality in Visual Studio 2015 itself, we do plan to update the SlowCheetah extension to fully support Visual Studio 2015. Our long term plan, however, is to integrate this functionality into a future version of Visual Studio.

We…

• Make WPF open-source and accept pull-requests from the community

Please follow the footsteps of the ASP .NET team and make WPF open-source with the source code on GitHub, and accept pull-requests from the community.

5,146 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        46 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Open source Silverlight

Blog post at http://davidburela.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/is-it-time-to-open-source-silverlight/

For all intents and purposes Microsoft now views Silverlight as “Done”. While it is no longer in active development it is still being “supported” through to 2021 (source).

However there is still a section of the .Net community that would like to see further development done on the Silverlight framework. A quick look at some common request lists brings up the following stats:

* 5,720+ votes to release Silverlight 6 https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3556619-silverlight-6
        * Feature requests for Silverlight http://dotnet.uservoice.com/forums/4325-silverlight-feature-suggestions
        * Microsoft connect list of active Silverlight feature requests: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/SearchResults.aspx?KeywordSearchIn=2&SearchQuery=%22silverlight%22&FeedbackType=2&Status=1&Scope=0&SortOrder=10&TabView=1
        Rather than letting Silverlight decay in a locked up…

4,824 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          62 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Native DirectX 11 support for WPF

in 2013 WPF still work on DX9, and this have a lot of inconvenience. First of all it is almost impossible to make interaction with native DX11 C++ and WPF. Axisting D3DImage class support only DX 9, but not higher and for now it is a lot of pain to attach DX 11 engine to WPF.

Please, make nativa support for DX 11 in WOF by default and update D3DImage class to have possibility to work with nativa C++ DX 11 engine and make render directly to WPF control (controls) without pain with C++ dll.

4,557 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            34 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Create a Ubiquitous .NET Client Application Development Model

This vote is for developers who wish to see the idea of a ubiquitous .NET client application development model created by Microsoft and the Visual Studio team.

A ubiquitous .NET client application development model is a model that is defined in .NET-based technologies and is able to run in a multitude of runtime environments -- both native-compiled (store-hosted) and web-hosted.

A *very* rough image of the vision can be found here:
            http://i0.wp.com/blog.developers.win/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Vision.png

The goal is to enable *one* .NET Client Application Project to build deliverables for the following platforms:
            1) Windows 10
            2) Legacy Windows
            3) *nix (Unix/Linux)
            4) Droid …

4,214 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              under review  ·  117 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Support .NET Builds without requiring Visual Studio on the server

To build certain PCL libraries and libraries for Windows 8 RT requires having Visual Studio on the server.

Nick Berardi writes about a workaround that allows running a build server without VS, but it's really just a workaround for functionality that should be easy.

Not to mention there's probably licensing considerations we're just ignoring by doing that.

http://nickberardi.com/a-net-build-server-without-visual-studio/

Please make it easy (and legal) to build .NET projects on a server without requiring a Visual Studio installation (or license) on that server.

4,169 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                27 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Support for ES6 modules

Add support for the new JavaScript ES6 module syntax, including module definition and imports.

4,167 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  69 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Resolve Airspace iusse to full integrate OpenGL inside WPF

There are many programmers and company that develop applications based on geometrical kernels that use OpenGL for drawing (like CAD/CAM applications) often they have an old MFC application, and to pass to a modern view for their applications and give a new user experience for the user they could make new WPF interfaces very quickly but they can't rewrite an entire kernel to pass from OpenGL to DirectX, so often they prefer to remain with MFC without pass to WPF. This could be a very special thing to have the possibility to use OpenGL fully supported by WPF, without airspace…

3,875 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • C++ CLI support for optional parameters for using in C#

in C++ CLI is possible to define an optional parameter like

public void ProvaDefaults([Optional, DefaultParameterValue(true)] bool value)

but in this way the compiler don't use the DefaultParameterValue for setting the correct default value in the metadata (II.15.4.1.4 The .para m directive) that is visible in C#

so in C# the deault parameter is visible but only with the system default value (in the sample reported it is false instead of the wanted true)

3,739 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • VS IDE should support file patterns in project files

Patterns should be preserved and unmodified when working with *proj files. If I specify a pattern with something like **/*.cs for my code files. If I add a new .cs file that fits that pattern the .csproj file should not be modified.

MSBuild already respects this, but the IDE will always modify the project file.

For numerous scenarios this could simplify the diff / merge process.

3,638 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        25 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone and thank you for the feedback. We are actively investigating ways to improve how Visual Studio handles project content. This suggestion falls into that category. Unfortunately, we will not be able to address this feedback for the Visual Studio 2015 release. We will update the community when our plans in this area have gained more clarity.

Will Buik,
                        Visual Studio – VS IDE Project and Build Team

• Improve WPF performance

I have a high end PC and still WPF is not always fluent. Just compare it with QT 4.6 QML (Declarative UI) it is sooo FAST!

3,596 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          15 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Support multiple rows of document tabs

It would be really nice if the IDE allowed multiple rows of document tabs. Currently, I'm using the "Tabs Studio" add-in for this (http://www.tabsstudio.com). See here for an example: http://www.tabsstudio.com/documentation/addins/several-tabs-highlighted-with-the-default-style.png

3,341 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            8 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Visual Studio for Mac Os x

Dear Madam and sir;

We need Full Version of Visual Studio for Mac Os x.
                            And language of programming such as:

-C
                            -C++
                            -C#
                            -VB
                            -F#
                            -HTML
                            -MHTML

Thanks,

3,330 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              75 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add non-nullable reference types in C#

Non-nullability checks have to be manually encoded hundreds of times in any large real-world project, and they are not compile-time-enforced. There are code contracts in .Net 4.0, but their usage is still very verbose, and only partly compile-time-enforced.

What I wish is a pendant to the null-lifting operator ?, for instance, !, so that one could write:
                              void MyMethod(string! s){ /* s cannot be null :) */}

Or, the way ReSharper does it:
                              void MyMethod([NotNull] string s){ /* s cannot be null :) */}

3,301 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                75 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Show indent guides like Notepad++ does

Indent guides help quickly finding out where a scoop starts and where it ends. I think an advanced IDE like Visual Studio must have this feature. I know that there is an extension for this, but why doesn't Visual Studio have a basic feature like this natively?

3,097 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  4 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Put an option to disable indentation after pasting code

Vertically line up arguments of a function call. Then copy the block of code. Paste it somewhere else. The allignment which you carefully made is all gone. You have to do the same custom formatting every single place you paste your code.

Unfortunately, there is no way of preventing this in Visual Studio 2015. I checked for a solution on the internet. Most people are complaining about the same problem and there is no cure.

Please provide an option for disabling this behavior.

3,058 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    10 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Bring Windows 10 Universal Apps to Android and iOS

Create something like what Xamarin is doing in order to help developers to code once and run EVERYWHERE (Wndows 10, windows 10 mobile, android and ios).

If Microsoft could not buy Xamarin, at least do what they are doing by your own. Make something that enable us to archive real NATIVE cross platform development. It could dramatically increase the numbers of developers using .net to create mobile applications as well as increasing the number of apps created to wp too, since app could be compiled to ios, android AND WINDOWS PHONE. Hibrid apps like apache Cordova has a lot of…

2,712 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      34 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • 2,579 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        94 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I wanted to update the status to make sure you know that we hear you. This isn’t straightforward to deliver for obvious reasons: Visual Studio installs a disparate variety of tools, runtimes and SDKs, many of which come from third parties or other parts of Microsoft. We recognize that developers would love to see something lighter and while we have nothing new to announce at this stage, we are spending a lot of time thinking about how we can improve Visual Studio installation.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• Expand Generic Constraints for constructors

Currently when declaring a generic constraint on a Type parameter
                                        ie.
                                        public void DoSomething<T>() where T : new() { /* do something */ }

You can't specify that T has a constructor with specific parameters:
                                        ie.
                                        public void DoSomething<T>() where T : new(string, int) { /* do something */ }

2,562 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          27 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Better NullPointerException Error message

Let's say you have the line

a.b().c().d().e().f().g();

and you run it and get an
                                          System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Where did this happen? what do you need to fix?

A better error message would be

The Call: null.e()
                                          Caused a Null Reference Exception

this would make debug/life a lot easier.

I would also suggest you use the full method signature so you might get

The Call: null.e(string, List<string>)

2,474 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            30 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. We are actively evaluating whether we will be able to bring this suggestion into the product for .NET developers for the System.NullReferenceException in a future release.
                                            We have recently made an improvement, similar to this suggestion, for debugging C++ Access Violations in Visual Studio 2015 Update 1.
                                            Read about it here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/29/improvement-to-debugging-c-access-violations-in-visual-studio-2015-update-1.aspx

We encourage you to continue to comment on and vote for this UserVoice item to share any additional feedback that you have for this suggestion.

Thanks,
                                            Kaycee Anderson
                                            Visual Studio Diagnostics

← Previous 1 3 4 5 375 376
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base