Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. C++/CLI Intellisense support for triple slash (///) auto XML Comments like C# to make them visible from derived C# projects

Add support for triple slash (///) xml comment like C# to have support for sandcastle auto generated documentation ad expecially to have full intellisense support for Parameters help and Methods help accessible from all c++/cli and c# derived project that use the c++/cli class and methods

2,370 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      4 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Create a UTF8 C-runtime

In the past few years I've worked on cross platform apps, mostly between Windows and linux. The biggest stumbling block are path and file names. In our latest project, it got so clunky, that we decided to drop all the UNICODE code compile the Windows side in MBCS. One thing that would help would be to have a C-runtime which works with UTF8 (also having one that drops the underscores would be another huge help.)

975 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        13 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your votes so far on this suggestion. We are currently reviewing this request. As we have more information, we will share it with you here. In the meantime, please make sure you comment here to capture the requirements you have for a UTF-8 capable CRT.

— Visual C++ Team

• Allow precompiled headers to be shared between projects

In Visual Studio 2008 and earlier, I believe you could (by an unsupported method) allow one project to generate a precompiled header which other projects could then use. But I understand this is not possible, or only works in limited ways in VS 2010 and later.

Please add official support for allowing a precompiled header to be shared between projects.

As a nice to have it would also be ideal if more than one precompiled header could be used by a project so that both a shared and project specific precompiled header could be used.

See also:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/665d4183-f85c-481d-bada-03283b310099/shared-precompiled-header?forum=vclanguage

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14048212/can-i-share-a-precompiled-header-between-projects-to-reduce-compile-time

506 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          21 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Support c++11 concurrency header files in c++/cli

When using the /clr switch in VC++ 2012, it is not possible to include some of the new c++11 header files (i.e. <atomic> / <thread>) as compilation will break.

One typical application of c++/cli is to wrap a native class inside a (managed) ref class to expose its functionality to the .net world.

The restriction previously described prevents a ref calss to consume a native class with members like std::thread or std::atomic<T>.

A workarround (pimpl-idiom) is discussed in this topic:
          (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vclanguage/thread/9771f61c-05b7-4e3e-96fb-ac9ea31ac3f4)

The former approach requires to change existing code, therefore support for the new c++11 header files in…

446 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            12 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • add a cl.exe option for system headers like gcc's -isystem

msvc is the only reason we have to clutter our code with
            #ifdef _MSC_VER
            #pragma warning(push, 0)
            #endif

blocks.

395 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              6 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • make header include refactoring possible

Would be great to have a tool which will automatically remove unused headers. I a big projects (more than 1^6 LOC ) this becomes really both code and compile-time issue over the time.

Another idea is to move from precompiled header those header files which are used only once and move those used more than once into precompiled header. Ideally those thresholds are configurable.

354 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow me to link Visual C++ filters to specific directories

Please give me a way to associate a directory for a given filter (ie folder) in VC++. The directory would be used as the default when I click on a filter and run the Add New wizard. This would help greatly on larger projects with elaborate directory structures.

Here is an example of how the current setup is maddening. Imagine I am working on something that has a directory structure like this

\Foo
                \build
                \msvc << VC++ files here
                \brandX << build/make files for your competition
                \include
                \Algorithms
                sort.h
                \Collections
                vector.h
                \src
                \Algorithms
                sort.cpp
                \Collections
                vector.cpp

I can create Filters…

301 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  10 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add API for invoking VC++ compiler

It would be great to have an API for the C++ compiler. To create better tools that implement support for the VC++ toolchain, it would grant a great performance benefit for invoking the compiler programatically.

- No seperate process creation.
                  - Include dependency parsing without /showincludes option.
                  - Compiling sources dynamically without writing them to the disk.
                  - Other benefits.

I suppose it would not take too much effort to provide such an API, as the compilation is already separated to different dlls (c1.dll, c1xx.dll, c2.dll).

I hope to see this feature in the future.

(Also if you can add…

300 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • CodeLens for C++

Make CodeLens available for C++ projects. One cannot deny that C++ is one of the most widely used programming language in the world, and very code intensive software is written in C++, e.g. operating systems or games. Visual Studio should provide CodeLens for C++, so that large groups of developers have a better possibility to review and test code.

281 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Use UTF-8 by default for C++ source files

.cpp and .h files should be saved in a modern encoding such as UTF-8 by default (and the compiler would have to be updated to handle UTF-8 input as well). The use of the windows-1252 codepage really feels like something out of the 1980's. The rest of the world uses Unicode. Heck, as far as I know, most other VS project types use it. Can we *please* get the same in Visual C++?

252 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        5 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • optimize for debugging like gcc -Og

An option similar to GCC's -Og would be fantastic for one of Visual Studio's bigger industries, commercial games. One is currently forced between choosing a fully optimized build that is impossible to debug or a debuggable build that can't run many real-time game tests at playable speeds.

Some basic optimizations like low-level inlining (simple getters and accessors and other very simple functions) and some math optimization is still easy to debug but can make _massive_ improvements to run-time speed.

227 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Support XAML+Native Code for desktop applications

Metro app developers got the gift of the ability to combine XAML with native code. Desktop developers (well, at least me) have wanted this for years and probably didn't ask because we figured there was no chance. Now developers of these little toy apps get this ability! This is a travesty. Desktop application developers need a modern framework (MFC is older than the internet, WPF is dead), and it should be native code (.NET is too slow). So please port the ability to use XAML and native code together over to the Win32 development platform.

225 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            11 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add Emscripten/WebAssembly to platforms supported from VisualC++

Much like support for iOS/Android (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/07/30/cross-platform-code-sharing-with-visual-c.aspx). I'd love to add Emscripten build target for my application in Visual Studio 2015.

173 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Microsoft should make MFC open source

MFC is still used in several C++ legacy projects (including very large enterprise applications) still active in maintenance mode.

With MFC open source, the community and Microsoft could submit new code and patches while Microsoft could monitor the quality of the submitted code and support an official branch.

Would something similar to open-sourcing ASP.NET work fine for MFC?

Scott Guthrie sums up an interesting approach when he announced the open-sourcing of ASP.NET MVC, Web API and Razor:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/asp-net-mvc-web-api-razor-and-open-source

“[…] Doing so will enable a more open development model where everyone in the community will be able to engage and provide…

150 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                under review  ·  11 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • C++ code map

Add support for C++ code maps!

150 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Document /d2cgsummary and other internal compilation metrics flags

There was a blog post by Aras Pranckevičius about an undocumented compiler flag /d2cgsummary. It would appear that the backend has the ability to report certain metrics that could possibly help diagnose unusual compilation times.

Slow compile times are a pain to figure out. Properly documenting these flags (and adding more!) could help us stay sane and happy.

148 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    2 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Add lambda support to C++/CLI

Lambda is now supported in C++ 0x but not in C++/CLI. It means we are not able to use C++ lambda to define delegates in ref class. This makes using .Net libraries like Task<T> and System::Linq a very tedious work.

146 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      5 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Improve MFC - add a VisualManager (CMFCVisualManagerWindows) for Windows 8 / 10

All developers in the world programming for Windows 8 / 10 with MFC need the new visual style / theme for the dialogs / application / windows / controls / a.s.o. Please add the urgent needed file(s) to the Visual Studio 2015 Update 2.

142 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Improve IntelliSense tooltip for make_shared/make_unique/emplace_back/etc

With the new C++11/14 support, and use of all the perfect forwarding functions, the tooltip with help for parameters to functions have gone lost. Normally while writing a call to a constructor, you would get to see what parameters it takes, and what type they are, etc. Now all you get is an info saying "_Types &&... _Args", or so. IntelliSense should really either have an internal list of functions to treat special, or even better, have a pragma, attribute, or special comment that can be placed at a function to mark it as a perfect forwarding proxy. Maybe something…

101 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Include what you use

https://code.google.com/p/include-what-you-use/
                                          Can we have something like this CLang based tool which will remove unnecessary includes?

96 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base