I suggest you ...

Create a Ubiquitous .NET Client Application Development Model

This vote is for developers who wish to see the idea of a ubiquitous .NET client application development model created by Microsoft and the Visual Studio team.

A ubiquitous .NET client application development model is a model that is defined in .NET-based technologies and is able to run in a multitude of runtime environments -- both native-compiled (store-hosted) and web-hosted.

A *very* rough image of the vision can be found here:
http://i0.wp.com/blog.developers.win/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Vision.png

The goal is to enable *one* .NET Client Application Project to build deliverables for the following platforms:
1) Windows 10
2) Legacy Windows
3) *nix (Unix/Linux)
4) Droid
5) iOS
6) Macintosh
7) HTML5
8) ??? (Extendible to different, future platforms)

In order to achieve the above, a ubiquitous .NET client application development model should strive to possess the following qualities:
1) Native Cross-Platform Capable - For native-compiled/store-hosted scenarios (iOS/Droid/Windows Store)
2) HTML5-Compliant - For web-hosted scenarios, via .NET-to-JavaScript transpilation
3) Consistent User Experience - For brand recognition, reinforcement, and optimal usability across all known scenarios
4) Cross-Boundary Accessibility - For shared code/assemblies between server and client boundaries
5) Xaml-Powered - Harnessing one of the greatest inventions in Microsoft's great history
6) Object Serialization Congruence - Markup used to describe serialized objects is what is created in memory
7) Holistic Development Consistency - The same guidelines and conventions are used in both client and server scenarios

For more information around this idea and the qualities above, a series of articles has been created to discuss the notion of a ubiquitous .NET client application development model at length. You can view that series here:
http://blog.developers.win/series/bridge-to-dotnet-ubiquity/

Finally, this is intended to be a starting point for discussion, and not a final solution. THAT is meant for the experts there at Microsoft. :) Thank you for any support, dialogue, and feedback around this idea!

7,715 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Developers Win!Developers Win! shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

337 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Oliver ShawOliver Shaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also used Telerik on one large project.

Mainly for data grids and day, month schedulers.

UWP Telerik controls are open source. Perhaps this is an option for Avalonia.

I haven't looked at them in detail, but I assume they are similar to SL just not as extensive.

I would also guess that once Avalonia is more developed the likelihood of Telerik to convert its SL control would increase.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Marc RousselMarc Roussel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People will probably get into the wagon if they can easily convert existing Silverlight app including third-party like Telerik.

Starting all over from scratch BIG applications is almost not an option for so many of us. So the guys that are trying to start something should seek such possibility with the third-party vendors used when Silverlight was alive.

Good luck

• Oliver ShawOliver Shaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS - devs don't like JS/HTML for front end LOB (it's rubbish compared with .NET/XAML)

Reality check for the 1000th time - Build a C# and XAML UI that reflects Silverlight or WPF!

Now have a chance to go backwards so you can move forwards.

GET .NET, C# and XAML (and HTML) in WASM ASAP! be in front of the competition.

--- alternate thought, anyone thought about resurrecting Mono Moonlight now that Mono is pushing to WASM?
        http://www.mono-project.com/docs/web/moonlight/

If Telerik for example took this on and could in some way sell it to MS developers. I wonder how many customers they would have for moonlight in WASM?

• Mike-EEEMike-EEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow... thanks for the suggestion and consideration, Jay. Although, I am not sure how effective that will be, or if they will even let me in, even with the KickStarter. :)

For the most part, this idea is on its way to fruition. If WebAssembly takes off and becomes "official" then we have a good chance of having what we're looking to accomplish here. You can see from the Blazer demo below that it is already starting to take root and inspire. So, let's hope (and pray lol) that this continues. Once that is complete, then it just a matter of a team like Avalonia and/or Noesis (the real UWP) to build a great conceptual model on top of this and we're back in business. :)

• jayjay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Mike, I know you are serious & passionate about advancing the goal of ubiquitous development using .NET framework. Like thousands of development shop, our company needs a full solution to capitalize not only on our existing code base but on future development that utilize the full .Net Framework via C# with XAML/WinForm - to build feature rich program (back-end logic & front-end UI) for Web, Mobile (iOS, Android) and Windows (7, 8.1, 10). It's been years, and Microsoft have yet to commit. In our shop, there is no more willingness to wait around, anything other than a solid yes with a firm time-line will mean we drop Microsoft and go a different direction. This is do or die for us, we must up the ante and let the stockholder/investor know about this closing window of opportunity. Can you be our voice at Microsoft's annual general meeting? What I am saying is this: are you willing bring this question up at the AGM? If you are, please set-up a GoFundMe (or equivalent); I believe a few thousand dollar, to cover the shares and travel is reasonable and reachable goal. Any extra funding can be used for compensation and to fly to additional conference to bring the message in that arena during the Q&A. We need a Champion for this.

@Charles, thanks for sharing. Literally worth noting that this "huge challenge" is met by NodeJS/JavaScript just fine, along with being able to reach all the other listed platforms (and more).

The literal worth is in reference to the cost involved with developing and maintaining two incompatible codebases (JS/.NET) with a .NET solution, vs. only one with JS.

Nice little add here:
        http://jasonette.com/

Gotta say, that jump to TypeScript/JS is looking more tempting day by day, especially when we will have to start over with .NET Core, in any case.

Oh, and no petitions/explaining required. ;) ;) ;)
        Nice to see when others "just get it." ;) ;) ;)

• birbilisbirbilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

speaking of NativeScript, a C#/XAML to NativeScript (uses TypeScript for the code if I remember well and XML-based declarative UI) converter would be interesting

I am not sure what is more impressive @birbilis: the fact that someone uses this thread for an unrelated technical support issue, or the fact that you actually entertain it, LOL!

But I guess it's good to see *someone* get *some* value out of this thing... for once. ;)

• birbilisbirbilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

See windows insider announcement about wrong version of os pushed and what to do

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17

Feedback and Knowledge Base