I suggest you ...

Option to disable file nesting in ASP.NET 5 / MVC 6 projects

Can we please have a way to disable the auto file nesting in ASP.NET 5 / MVC 6 projects? In some folder structures it can be extremely annoying - for example, if the folder itself already represents a group of related files, in which case the additional nesting becomes highly frustrating.

Also, the auto nesting is highly inconsistent:
It nests .css, .js and .ts under .html, but for some reason .less and .scss are not nested, despite the fact that they are conceptually exactly the same as .ts - they just compile to .css instead of .js.

There really need to be an option to disable this!

135 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Thomas Darling shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • S Ayydevara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS.Net is supposed to be developer friendly. File nesting with Typescript files is weird and no body likes it

• Annoyed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want anything hidden from me, unless I say so! Please don't muck with my project without an option to disable. WOW! The arrogance of developers sometimes.

• Bogdan Ionescu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have also problems with nesting file in assets folder: I cannot rename o js file, which is neted from html

• Jip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For .ts + .html file I would even go so far as suggesting, to put the html behind the ts, and not the other way around...

• Sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed... in fact in my opinion flat by default would have been nice with a view option of some sort to turn on nesting. I don't want my .ts files nested under an html file of the same name. ugh.

Feedback and Knowledge Base