I suggest you ...

Improve Visual Studio MSDN Blog Commenting System (and Developer Engagement) with Disqus

Currently the MSDN blogging system suffers from a myriad of problems:
- Poor sign-in experience and profile system.
- Static, read-only posts (cannot edit/delete)
- Broken/no notifications
- Buggy / Easy to troll
- No up/down voting

Conversely, with Disqus, you get the following benefits:
- Community within a community (discovery/pollination/profile system)
- Reliable notifications
- Editing / deleting
- Flexible authentication / flagging / difficult to troll
- Up/down voting

A blog post has been created to discuss these issues at length, and you can read that here:
http://blog.developers.win/2016/02/improving-microsoft-developer-engagement-with-disqus/

The Visual Studio / Visual Studio Team Services Teams do a great job with developer engagement. Adding Disqus would be a great way to improve upon this excellence even further. Thank you for any consideration and dialogue around this idea!

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Developers Win! shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mike-EEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your feedback and response @pcchan. I am open to ANY improvement over the current system, as what is in place now makes it seem like you don't really care or have much pride/concern to what your users must endure to communicate with you and/or each other.

I'm even OK with using LiveFyre as the new docs has (unfortunately) switched over to, even though it is a property that was recently acquired by Adobe... you know, your historically bitter rival. :P

Anything but what is in place now, please. :) :) :)

• pcchan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the suggestion. Prior to migrating to WordPress, we considered and evaluated Disqus as an option for the MSDN/TechNet Blog network. We did not go with Disqus because it does not align with our overall strategy.

- MSDN/TechNet Recognition System is tied to LiveID
    - All legacy comments and points will be lost if we switch to Disqus
    - Although contributors do not earn points for each comment, the total number of comments contributes to different levels of achievements (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/ff395928.aspx)

As for the pain points with current commenting system, we have added your suggestions for improvements to our product backlog and will consider them for future releases.

• Mike-EEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good points, @tsahi. Thank you for your feedback and perspective. I believe Disqus does offer custom solutions that might be able to cater to these issues. That is, I have seen sites that offer Disqus, but it is customized specifically to that site (e.g., site-specific authentication and not using Facebook/Disqus's auth).

On the flip side, you cannot see the activity from other Disqus sites in your own, which is also pretty valuable metrics, too. :)

So, choose your poison. Of course, Disqus is not the only option. There is LiveFyre which was recently acquired by Adobe, but I do not consider it as advanced (or pervasive/popular) as Disqus. To get a good idea of how popular Disqus is with the .NET crowd especially, check out the blog posts that are shared weekly by the "This Week in .NET" series and note how many of them utilize it.

All I know (and it sounds like we are in agreement on this at least) what is in place now is an absolute embarrassment and must change... someway, somehow. :P

• tsahi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I agree with all the problems that need to be fixed with the current commenting system, I wouldn't want to disconnect the comments from my MSDN profile. If you use Disqus, you won't be able to track your comments together with the rest of your activity on MSDN forums.

Not to mention that replacing the comments system will likely result with the loss of all the existing comments people have already made.

So I think the problems should be fixed within the realm of the blog comments, and not by replacing it. Perhaps there is some system that can integrate into the existing user profile, which will save dedicating man-hours to this issue.

Feedback and Knowledge Base