I suggest you ...

Allow extensions/plugins for VS Express

That way I could use ReSharper, etc, with a nice lightweight version of VS.

I don't use TFS, nor MSTest, etc.

768 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan BlairJonathan Blair shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Expand Visual Studio Express 2013 to include PHP support, or support for addons.  ·   · 

Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition is a fully featured version of Visual Studio free for open source developers, startups, students, and hobbyists, rather than enterprises. Compared to the previously available free edition of Visual Studio (Express), the Community edition combines tools for Web, desktop, cloud and mobile development in one product, and adds support of Visual Studio extensions. With Visual Studio Community, developers can access thousands of extensions available in Visual Studio Gallery (https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com), such as Web Essentials, VSVim, Cordova tools, and others.
    Watch the Visual Studio Community 2013 video (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Visual-Studio/Connect-event-2014/040) to learn all about what you can do with this release, and download Visual Studio Community 2013 (https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/free-developer-offers-vs.aspx) to start coding.
    Selma Ikiz,
    Visual Studio Team

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Glenn MooreGlenn Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS Code supports PHP syntax highlighting.. it is a bit ridiculous that VS Professional does not.

• michael hanonmichael hanon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this! It is almost bad practice to not support the PHP language. We are integrating ASP, C#, VB.NET and PHP and we need it all in one IDE!

• Cavan WatsonCavan Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Success, all the free editions in one package and extensible ... Hooray for Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition.

Thank you Microsoft Visual Studio Development Team

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All I need is VsVim... because of this I'm going to have to ditch VS for now and learn a new IDE.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VsVim is the main reason why I need VS Express to support extensions. Plz help in this point. It is such a pain in the eye to not be able to use vim key bindings.

• Cavan WatsonCavan Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to use extensions in the free Express editions.

Perhaps the folks like Tom, Joe, and Trisanto are approaching the problem the wrong way... Visual Studio X Express is the extension.

The vast array of free extensions, is because folks have paid for the IDE. The express editions are not designed for real work, but playing and learning languages.

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is ridiculous. They won't let you use extensions in their free version even if it is something you develop yourself to make their severely lacking IDE better. I use VS 2012 Pro at work and VS Express 2013 at home, and have used at least a pro version all the way back to VS 2003.

It's ridiculous that they expect you pay them at a minimum $500 for the Pro version. Then you have to spend nearly another $200 to $300 to buy ReSharper so that VS becomes an IDE that is actually intelligent and easy to use!! What a scam! If your IDE is so lacking that someone else can create an add-on for it that other people are happy to spend lots of $$ for, then either you need to incorporate that add-on into the paid versions of your IDE or give away the freaking IDE for free!!

• horeaperhoreaper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do think Microsoft consider extensions to be a selling point, but I gave my vote for this.

• Andy PhilpottsAndy Philpotts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow extensions, for me it is vsvim that I crave. If you are afraid companies won't pay for the 'real deal" then remove some built in stuff from Visual Studio Express that is rarely used, or place some limit on scale, but don't lock us out of free extensions, please pretty please?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base