I suggest you ...

Make the Visual Studio installer more customizable

Let one don't install some components if one don't need it - for example Silverlight development support, visual designers for WPF or Windows Forkflow, or unit testing (many developers use third-party solutions like NUnit and don't use VS built-in testing tools).

1,835 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Another Ignored CustomerAnother Ignored Customer shared a merged idea: Stop thrusting Metro apps down our throats and let us get on with our work!  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Setup Customization: add ability to not install SQL Server  ·   · 
    HeathHeath shared a merged idea: Provide installation customization options to exclude languages.  ·   · 
    Liam CrozierLiam Crozier shared a merged idea: More options for less clutter  ·   · 
    DemisDemis shared a merged idea: Remove unused features  ·   · 

We are happy to let you know that we have made improvements in this feature area. In Visual Studio 2015 we have made improvements to the ability to customize Visual Studio. https://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs We have broken down the initial Visual Studio feature selections into 30+ selections while maintaining a simple and intuitive default selection. We will continue to focus on this area for the next release of Visual Studio as well. We understand that acquiring Visual Studio needs to be as friction free as possible while still providing customizability and flexibility that Microsoft developers have come to expect.

Pat Litherland
    Visual Studio Program Manager

119 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • theludditetheluddite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"In Visual Studio 2015 we have made improvements to the ability to customize Visual Studio"

What version are you using? I installed 2015.3 Community, and it was a hog. 9 GB with all stuff I could deselect, deselected. Then ANOTHER 4GB for the Win32 SDK!

For comparison, I have a 35-ish MB 7-zip archive with VC6, including IDE, compiler, native SDK, MFC, ATL and even Source Safe! When I do a reinstall or get a new machine, I extract that archive on a volume, run msdev.exe once, pin it, and I'm set for C++98 development.

Total disk usage? 192MB.

You have not made "improvements" in the area of letting users select what to install since a decade. You have screwed over your multi-million userbase royally - and for some strange reason it seems you are proud of it.

Just read up on Roslyn bugs on github for a taste of how bad the IDE has vecome.

• njcnjc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good bye Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Professional. Pushed your luck with Visual Studio 2013. All because of your installer, and the huge dump of useless junk thrown on my SSD, I don't want, and is neither required for what I do need. VS2015Pro is one expensive piece of shhhhoftware (almost).

I have gathered that building an installer for this, is way beyond the issue of your mental capacity.

• Anthony VanoverAnthony Vanover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"We are happy to let you know that we have made improvements in this feature area."

Well, you need several gigabytes more on improvements. I assure you, I don't need "Kit de développment logiciel"...

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS you're liars. You're just a gang of mad marketoids.
        I tried to install VS2015 Express. It asked me for 14GiB of space and tried to install a ton of crapware.
        I tried to install VS2015 Community. I selected only C# and its common features. Then I received C++ compiler for x86, x64 and ARM, some ESPC Resource Pack and other ****** unneeded ********.

It's not complete in any way. You haven't even started to do anything. You continue to lie to your users and remain deaf to their requests.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

5 years countless updates, an entire service pack, more patches and fixes, and not a peep from the vs devs in the direction of addressing this. i think they dont care about what we say we want or need, that means they DGAF about YOU!. MS is about controlling the end users, and even as developers were in that group of "dummies" that need end to end control. That thing that set them above apple, an open environment with freedom of choice for the user.... and they cant wait to be just as bad as crapple now.... how sad.

The MSFT point of view is: low hard drive space? buy a larger one!

• Bill K.Bill K. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know why developers waste their time with Microsoft. The Mac and Ubuntu/Mint linux's make it so easy to develop using any language with the least amount of effort. We more software is developed for these platforms, perhaps MS will start acting like a customer oriented company instead of a monopoly, which by the way, they are not. I am moving our entire college off of MS development products and onto Linux/Mac platforms. Already well on my way - next - get off of Office and onto Libre Office.

• Attila GálAttila Gál commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completed? HAHAHA
        I would need only Web developer tools, but I'm getting Blend, VC++ and a lots of other things ending up in 10 GB.
        If it's really "completed", then it was quality work guys! ;)

• Sebastian SiposSebastian Sipos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've selected only C++ and it asks for 9 gigs. I mean.. if I don't select anything, it requires 5GB. This is a piece of ****.

• MochaWolverineMochaWolverine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed, this is an interesting topic.

As buggy and bad as Win8 was, it improved a lot with 8.1. But Win10 in contrast is really... hmmm... old school.

It reminded me the times of Win 3.11, where everything was expressed with simple, flat graphics. The world went away of that, because it wasn't powerful enough to express what the black/white icon does. Win10 mixed it with many modern elements. My overall impression is that all the new Win10 apps are pretty much useless and truly awfull. It's also against any kind of ergonomical use.

Take the new Settings as example. If there is a radiobutton, you need to click it's small circle to select it. Well, that's not perfectly true. If you're lucky, it will select the option when you click on the text. Or not. Often the cursor changes to text selection one and the click doesn't work. Overall it's just better to click the damned, small circle. In Notifications and Actions you need to actually figure out, that you can click on the boxed images and change the action. Applications and functions is pretty slow and not that readable as the old Programs and Features. In previous versions you could change your power plan with 2 clicks. Now you need at least 4 actions (right click, click, mouse move to the center of the screen). Wifi connection could be established with double-click. No longer an option.

The new apps for music, video, picture view are not even close to their originals. You cannot even quickly move to another picture in the same folder with keys. In Groove you cannot reorder your "now playing" songs. You cannot also add new songs to the list in the given place. Just at the end. That's something I use on a daily basis when creating temporary, dynamic 'now playing' lists.

There are so many examples of inefficiencies and lack of features. You could continue the whole day. But hey, I love new VS 2015 Community and don't miss 3D buttons. I also like new Start menu in Win10, except the new 'All applications' list. It so much unreadable to me. Folders look pretty much the same as applications - very hard to distinguish. An those initial letters... enough about it. To surprise, I have my tiles and I love them! All... 5! I don't about the rest down there below. LOL.

As Randy in Marin wrote, I guess the efficient and useful things will come back as something new, amazing and greatly innovative couple years from now. At least MS improved Win10 comparing to Win8 which I was stack with on my new laptop. There are few things I love about the new styles and mode, but there is still too many to hate. And C#? I just love it.

• IvayloIvaylo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The answer is a complete lie. Anything after VC 2008 sucks, form installation and speed stand point. I actually prefer the Express versions since they have at least minimum garbage... I would still use 2008 if I didn't need C++11...

• CyrilCyril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully endorse the previous comment: you absolutely changed nothing on this point. You do adds additional options. And you still do not listen to the developers ! It's really sad !
        A minimal installation needing 8GB is unacceptable, especially since it is impossible to recover all the space after uninstalling. And after the initial installation, updates are only increasing growing space requirements.
        Although Visual Studio IDE is a reference, it has become so heavy that it discourages private use. Overall, I love Microsoft technologies and products and liked develop personally. But this time, I decided to stop because I am tired of filling and slow down my PC with lots of things I do not use. I will not be installing Visual Studio and I stop to develop personally as long as there will be no real change on this point.
        With great regret...

This in no way or form completed. Please look at VS2008 or earlier installer for example. Modern Visual Studio installs so many bloatware that I moved from .NET platform completely.
        1. I can't choose where to install all that bloatware. Even if I choose my secondary drive as an install location it will still install almost half of garbage to my main drive which is pretty limited in space.
        2. Too many thing that I do not need. I do not need .NET types for SQL server, I do not need SQL server, I do not need Blend, I do not need Windows Phone/Android emulator and support for phone development, I do not need C++, Visual Basic, Windows SDK and tons of other **** that it installs. All I need is C# support.

I would've used Visual Studio Code, but it doesn't support .NET for desktop, standalone MSBuild also required a lot of files that are only included with full Visual Studio. Without Visual Studio it's almost impossible to build and debug and with it my system is bloated with garbage. With all that I was forced to avoid C# and .NET development, even though I loved platform in the past.

• AleAle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have Windows 7 in English, configured for the French (Switzerland) locale, so I can have local date/time formats, etc. Without giving me ANY option, the installer installed the French version of Visual Studio! I had to download and install the English language pack to have the interface in English, and could not uninstall the French language in the interface. Although I speak French, I personally prefer the development tools to be in English -- and I guess I'm not alone. So the installer should have an easily accessible option to change the install language, without doing tricks such as changing the locale/user input language. Or really look at the language of the Windows installation itself, not at the users' locale settings.

• AleAle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just tried a custom install of VS 2015, with just the C++ support. It is better, in terms of customization, than VS 2013 -- however, it is completely insufficient. It installed the full Windows 8.1 SDK, without giving me the possibility to choose what parts to install. I'm not doing ARM development, I don't want to fill my SSD with ARM compilers and libraries I'll never use. Same for the .NET SDK, I don't need or want it, I'm just doing Win32 development (32 and 64 bits). Same for Visual Basic or C# support, I don't use that so I don't want them installed AT ALL. The user owns the HD/SSD, so the choice of what to install must be with him/her. Installing so many unneeded components is a lack of respect for the users.

The fact you've marked this thread as completed, doesn't means i will upgrade my VS2010 to the newest c..p.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not completed in any way other than adding some stupid mark to checklist. Why do I need C#, VB and MSSQL on my drive when I need only C++? Marking this as complete is just ridiculous. If you keep uservoice for a facade only, then say so.

• Gulshanur RahmanGulshanur Rahman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did a minimal install of Visual Studio 2015 64-bit Community RTM. It made only 15 entries in Windows installed "Programs and Features". 6 of them are different Visual C++ redistributables, 5 are .net framework things, 2 are CLR types for SQL server, 1 is help viewer and the other one is visual studio itself. The install size of Visual Studio 2015 is 3.57GB. All 14 other items combines to about 400MB. I think it is in good shape now in terms of installation custommization.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base