I suggest you ...

Include Pex and Moles with all Visual Studio editions

Include Pex and Moles with all editions of Visual Studio including Professional edition rather than being restricted to developers with Premium or Ultimate editions of Visual Studio. This will allow all Visual Studio developers to leverage the capabilities of the Moles mocking library and the additional feedback for Unit Testing available with Pex.

802 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    vs2015junkievs2015junkie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

**** you microsoft.

Your blogs espouse using Extension methods and you use extension methods throughout your own libraries.

But we can't **** mock out extensions without you kicking us in the **** for 4 thousand ***ing dollars?

What the **** is this? c# is a f****g cash cow that you use to **** big stupid companies into 6 grand software licenses... it is literally feature-incomplete without your slow and bloated IDE.

Great business move, literally total piece of **** move for devs and your language. This is why c# is just used in ****** easy-bake software companies and not taken seriously open source.

******** microsoft.

Your blogs espouse using Extension methods and you use extension methods throughout your own libraries.

But we can't ******* mock out extensions without you kicking us in the nuts for 4 thousand ******* dollars?

What the **** is this? c# is a ******* cash cow that you use to **** big stupid companies into 6 grand software licenses... it is literally feature-incomplete without your slow and bloated IDE.

Great business move, literally total piece of **** move for devs and your language. This is why c# is just used in ****** easy-bake software companies and not taken seriously open source.

Please release this for VS professional ASAP, i use code digger but would also like pex as this really helps unit testing

• Guillaume CourtinGuillaume Courtin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think current licence level features separation on unit testing is unconsistent at the moment. You can do Unit testing with Professionnal edition, but can't use fakes without a premium or upper. Fakes (or equivalent moking framework) are mandatory to do good unit testing on some context dependant methods, so it should be available for everyone.
        In large teams, not everybody has a premium or ultimate, and lot of devs have pros. Premium and Ultimate, when bought are for Architects or Tech leads. At the moment, unit tests with Fakes can not be run nor compiled by Pro version. It implies a build break on unit tests projects for Pro users. The most common consequences are :
        - No use of fakes: this means use of other frameworks (additionnal install, ...) or some unit tests very complicated or impossible to do.
        - No unit test for some important methods
        - No unit test run by dev with pro only

Pex is a good unit test writing helper, but has this is more a productivity gain, this is in my opinion not mandatory for a professional edition (I understand that it is quite important to differentiate versions for commercial arguments)

• KeremKerem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For using Inputs/Outputs Code Digger extension, unzip the VS2012 code digger, add the following line to the file "extension.vsixmanifest" and zip the folder. Rename to have a vsix extension and install.

<InstallationTarget Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Pro" Version="12.0" />

line in /PackageManifest/Installation element.

• Umesh shuklaUmesh shukla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's better feature than unit test generator. This should have prioritised earlier. Please ship it!

• Gerardo MoránGerardo Morán commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ms should help to develop better software with their tools, shoud expedite the use of techniques like tdd and atdd

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base