I suggest you ...

Add full support for debug registers or data breakpoints for value writes

It would be really useful if there was full support for debug registers, allowing users to set data breakpoints so execution breaks not only on value changes but on value/address writes or reads.

25 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Merged with:

Extend Data Breakpoints to watch for data read in addition to write

Posted in Visual Studio » Languages - C++

I know how to make a data breakpoints for when the data changes, but it would be nice to break whenever a certain address is read(or output a trace of what function was reading it). That way, I could quickly log everything that happens based on a particular symbol's value, not just assignments to it.
        Maria Ghiondea
        Visual Studio Diagnostics

Feedback and Knowledge Base