I suggest you ...

Wouldn't it be nice if Visual Studio could work like PortableApps from a thumbdrive?

2,579 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jeffrey PalermoJeffrey Palermo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    James YeomanJames Yeoman shared a merged idea: Visual Studio Portable Install  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: allow us to install on portable drive.  ·   · 
    DylanDylan shared a merged idea: Make VS2015 smaller  ·   · 
    TachiTachi shared a merged idea: Portable version of Visual Studio  ·   · 
    Jim wallaceJim wallace shared a merged idea: Zero install debugging version of Visual Studio  ·   · 

I wanted to update the status to make sure you know that we hear you. This isn’t straightforward to deliver for obvious reasons: Visual Studio installs a disparate variety of tools, runtimes and SDKs, many of which come from third parties or other parts of Microsoft. We recognize that developers would love to see something lighter and while we have nothing new to announce at this stage, we are spending a lot of time thinking about how we can improve Visual Studio installation.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

94 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DydzioDydzio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Big advantage of that solution would be possibility to use IDE on temporary machine, even if this lead to special IDE version with stripped functionality it would be good tool in places where Visual Studio Code does not suffice. Assuming less dependency on system components, people could avoid problems with installation, or using IDE after something gets corrupted in the system.

• James YeomanJames Yeoman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, Visual Studio is only available to install on the user's C:\ drive. This makes it harder for working on projects on various computers. It means that Visual Studio is needed to be installed various times AND the external libraries such as SFML or GLEW for OpenGL. Being able to install onto an external HDD without needing to install anything on the computers using the HDD would make things so much easier. It would mean that precious HDD space on the computers wouldn't be filled with various versions of the .Net framework. It would also mean that students can use their configuration on the computers in colleges and universities without having to install the libraries for an hour and setting up the configurations. They can just get on with their project.

• jeff batesjeff bates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with David Goodenough, what utter BS on the part of MS. If you can't make VS portable it is either;
        a) you are incompetent
        b) you don't want to
        c) your OS and/or VS systems suck
        d) all of the above

All you hear from MS is always excuses, excuses.
        Things never get better with MS products they get worse.
        Now you can't have VS 2015 running without having an internet connection, what kind of BS is that.

• David GoodenoughDavid Goodenough commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Tim Sheath While making the installer leave a smaller, more carefully selected, footprint would be a *MASSIVE* improvement, I suspect that's not really the root cause of the problem.

I'm long enough in the tooth to remember the transition from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, which is where the registry got introduced to that family of operating systems. I'm not certain when it was added to the NT family, I know that NT 4 had a registry, but since I never used NT 3.5.1, I can't speak for that OS.

That said, the registry was introduced in W95 to solve the "Ini file ****" problem, but as can clearly be seen in hindsight, the cure is far worse than the disease.

Linux and Mac OS handle portable apps very tidily, because they do not have a registry to write to, all persistent state information the app needs are written to files in the apps install directory, or in the user's home directory.

This leads to the state when simple deletion of the app directory and all its contents is sufficient for a clean uninstall of the application.

Step 1. Stop having apps write data to the registry, and instead "shim" the various registry access calls against HKLM and HKCU to dump the information in the apps install folder. Maybe create a small registry hive file in there at install time.

Step 2. Platform SDKs have gone the way of the dodo - they are a thing of the past. VS now iterates fast enough that we don't need a separate SDK install. So keep them all in the same place the way very early versions of VS used to. Think back to when it was still Developer Studio, or even back to the character mode days of CodeView. The point being that everything lived in a single folder. IDE, compiler toolchain, standard C runtime headers and libraries, SDK headers and libraries. If you can get back to there, you've done it. But putting different parts in different folders is simply a bad idea, because they're all part of a single application, installed by a single installer: MSBuild has no need to be in a separate folder, because it's only useful as part of a Vistual Studio installation. Ditto all the Windows Kits and .NET SDKs etc. etc. etc.

• COdeDUddeCOdeDUdde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UM, im no computer GENIUS but i do know that changing a directory path is very easy. Like, super easy. You change the directory of all the dependency **** to the users choice, the, boom, it works (I think)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bought a Surface Pro 4 with smaller internal drive knowing there was a MircoSD slot. Planned on using the MicroSD as 2nd drive for app storage. Can't for this app :(

As far as I'm concerned, it's a permanent 2nd drive.

• James HoodJames Hood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, for the sake of all that is good, make it run from a folder like Xcode. Yes, doing something the right way can be hard, especially if the right way is only discovered after investing so much time into the wrong way.

• zanderlvzanderlv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well im a student and its hard to have all my lab's computer's have this tool it would be great i could bring it with me so i can get more done when i need it instead of the 1 hour download and it guy on sight.

• BellaBella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

guys if you were to simply remove registry, kill it completely, windows would be million times better os and all applications would be portable by default. Instead you insist on keeping that slowass **** that does nothing but slow down os and take space on disk... .NET team did a nice step toward joining normal people in the world when they finaly open sourced small peace, but we need more.

• LTLT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quit coding Windows Universal app a few weeks ago because Visual Studio is really a pain ********** (literally). Took 3-4 hours to install. At 96% updating to VS 2015 Update 1 + SDK 10586, it fails. Tried that 2-3 times already, with the same result. The installation tool is extremely unreliable and I guess the VS team never tests the update properly before rolling out. And it eats up 20 GB of storage.

Wish it could be like Eclipse: unzip and voila, ready to code. Till then, will not go back to write or update apps.

• DylanDylan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make a stand alone .exe(portable) of VS. JUST include what's needed for UWP. No SQL, No IIS. Some of us have lower disk space.

• Tim Sneath [MS]Tim Sneath [MS] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Peter Ritchie - is this what you were looking for? http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/4750782-make-the-installation-of-visual-studio-light-weigh

We have a new team working on this installer space, and we have spent some time working to merge tightly related ideas together - not to 'get rid of them' but to make it easier to vote for an idea and get it to bubble up above the fold. In the meantime, please also feel free to add some further commentary to this page - we're following this space closely.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• Peter RitchiePeter Ritchie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it worth adding another suggest about a stripped-down version of visual studio? For example, I don't use SQL Server, Entity Framework, Sync Framework, etc. It would be nice if my Programs and Features wasn't completely assaulted on a Visual Studio install.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. With every news system operative upgrade you needs more permissions thant olders system operatives and is every time is more dificult to do installations.

I think that the net framework and binaries there is enought to do the installation.

• Dale PrestonDale Preston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Portable Visual Studio would be very helpful. I code in .net and in Java and I train others in both. I don't run any installers for anything except Microsoft. I use apps like Eclipse, NetBeans, Maven, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, Erlang, and more. I have an Apps folder and a Java folder I copy from PC to PC and I have a batch file with a bunch of SETX commands to set environment variables. Completely configuring a new test or training VM takes about 5 minutes after doing updates - other than Visual Studio.

• kiranpalkiranpal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have os 32 bit, vs2013 is not working. can you sent me link to download right version for windows7 32 bit

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base