I suggest you ...

Enable VS Community activation/registration offline

It would be nice if there was a way to register/activate the Community Edition of VS offline, that one can use it (longer than 30 days) on virtual machines without internet access or PC that cannot access the Internet.
There's a way to install it on machines like those discribed above using the "/layout"-Option of the setup on another PC to then install it on the offline PC afterwards, but then there isn't an option to register/activate that copy of VS.
For example let us download a license file for the community edition in addition to signing into a Microsoft-Account or give us the option of using VS Community without registration of activation entirely.

685 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DrNochiDrNochi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback and the suggestion about Community edition.

This may not be the answer that you want to hear, but we do require occasional online connectivity as a requirement of using Visual Studio Community. As you probably know, we introduced Visual Studio Community two years ago as a free, full-featured development environment designed for students, open source contributors, small companies, startups and individual developers.

While we set out to try and make Community as broadly available as possible, we recognize that it doesn’t accommodate every scenario. For those who need offline usage, Professional and Enterprise editions might be a better choice.

Since we’re not able to accommodate this request, we are closing this suggestion to return your votes. While we can’t address all suggestions, we appreciate the feedback and hope you’ll continue to share your ideas.

Thanks,

Visual Studio Team

84 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am sad, I feel like I am being pushed to use Andrdoid or Apple as the target platforms for me to support for my clients.

When Microsoft starts to loose additional market share, then they reflect on what happened.

The free edition is not free as they claim. Having to renew my "free" license every 30 days does not make sense for me.

Good bye Microsoft. R.I.P

• PrashantPrashant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All of my dev environments are in VMs and are offline. I can only use it on my main machine which is a consolation but ideally what I want. Also not sure then why MS provide options to install NUGET packages offline if subscription is not valid in such machines. :-(

• EinhartEinhart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply said: the Community edition is't free for everybody - really bad.:-(

• MakesNoSenseMakesNoSense commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is silly.
        If the product is free, then why stop the product from working after 30 days?
        Makes no sense!

If we are unable to get internet access for a period of time, this product is useless.

• No SpamNo Spam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Long as it Needs a Registration I can't use it because my machine has no Internet Access. Why MS requires a Registration for a free product? Just stupid...

• loveqooloveqoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

希望微軟可以提供離線註冊 Visual Studio Community 2013 / 2015 發法! 以幫助無網路連線地區的開發者! 感謝!

• LisaELisaE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me too. I cant register it because I cant get direct internet access.

Thanks for fixing this!

• LarryLarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wouldn't mind being able to try the community edition either. I work in a modern secured environment also so that registration thing stops me from using it too. :-(

Our dev PC's have to stay on the network they are connected to.

• MichaelEMichaelE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are we ever going to get to use this thing? MS can you at least acknowledged the reason you will not let us use it?

Thanks.

Here is a solution. Allow off line usage for a cost. You get to use VS community for a license fee. ( Note: not a subscription). No one trusts internet connections now-a-days. Developers want and deserve privacy.

This online need simply forbids me to use Visual Studio. I need a full offline product. I'll use alternative.

• ImsoImso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

at first hearing Visual Studio CE 2015 being free was like wow, it's too good to be true ... there must be a catch ... and here it is utterly useless for offline use.

• HateMSHateMS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is an idiot for requiring internet access just to work with their software. Even the paid versions suffer from this issue.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base