I suggest you ...

Enable VS Community activation/registration offline

It would be nice if there was a way to register/activate the Community Edition of VS offline, that one can use it (longer than 30 days) on virtual machines without internet access or PC that cannot access the Internet.
There's a way to install it on machines like those discribed above using the "/layout"-Option of the setup on another PC to then install it on the offline PC afterwards, but then there isn't an option to register/activate that copy of VS.
For example let us download a license file for the community edition in addition to signing into a Microsoft-Account or give us the option of using VS Community without registration of activation entirely.

685 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DrNochiDrNochi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback and the suggestion about Community edition.

This may not be the answer that you want to hear, but we do require occasional online connectivity as a requirement of using Visual Studio Community. As you probably know, we introduced Visual Studio Community two years ago as a free, full-featured development environment designed for students, open source contributors, small companies, startups and individual developers.

While we set out to try and make Community as broadly available as possible, we recognize that it doesn’t accommodate every scenario. For those who need offline usage, Professional and Enterprise editions might be a better choice.

Since we’re not able to accommodate this request, we are closing this suggestion to return your votes. While we can’t address all suggestions, we appreciate the feedback and hope you’ll continue to share your ideas.

Thanks,

Visual Studio Team

87 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LisaELisaE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me too. I cant use it. Please allow offline reg or get rid of the need in a Community Edition.

Thank you.

• EdEd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MICROSOFT HELLO!!!

We cant use your community edition if it requires Internet access to register it.

• JillJill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could we please be allowed to use your community edition?

In our environment too, we have no way to register it.

Thank you.

• Jon McRaeJon McRae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I certainly would not mind is Microsoft actually letting us use the VS community edition. I'm like most of you - no chance of Internet access to my dev PC (to reg a CE) in my company.

What the heck kinda "Community" they serving? Seems like one without any developers!

• dotNetRulezdotNetRulez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since I have been out of college I have not worked in a place that allows direct Internet access from development systems. Who still allows that?

Come on dog - let us use .Net\VB Community Editions!

• MichaelEMichaelE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reality is because of real-world security constraints a significant portion of us in Fortune 200, DOD and DOE environments will never be able to use\explore VS Community editions unless they dump all the registration shenanigans.

Leaves us wondering who the Community Editions and Open Source efforts are meant to be for as they dont comply with any demographic that is meaningful. Is that by design?

• Christo Janse van RensburgChristo Janse van Rensburg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only M$ can somehow "open source" something and/or make something "free" with the added string of a dependency on having to sign into a specific server to be able to actually use it... thanks but buzz off

• Peter NorthPeter North commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"download a license file for the community edition in addition to signing into a Microsoft-Account or give us the option of using VS Community without registration of activation entirely" - either way would be good for me. My development machine is offline (behind an impenetrable fire wall); no developer has installation authority on the machines freely connected to the internet.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A great way to turn budding new talent away from VS before they even get in the door.

• HManHMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I find truly interesting is that almost 90% of all the signatories here spent about 500 pages on the VB6 thread saying how much they hate .NET. Yet now they want a CE without activation for use in a corporate environment with high security. Please....

The activation is really not a hassle at all in ANY environment, and you do NOT need to be connected all the time once it's activated. You only need to activate it once a year.

You people are a disgrace. You get free stuff and you want to return it. Shut up and enjoy what you have. You are not supposed to use CE in a corporate environment anyways. Just buy the Professional Edition. Your company got money, you just said you are PCI, SSAE, and ISO compliant.

• EdwardEdward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder if MS will ever offer real Open Source or CE edition. One that does not require all these registration shenanigans.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Studio Community is not free! Microsoft, pleas that word "Free" from all your sites because it is a lie.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need offline activation too. I'm stuck and cannot develop anymore... :(

• MaryMary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I sure would not mind trying the VSCommunity Edition but like most everyone else - no chance!

Our development systems are on a segment that is not Internet facing (like most everyone else in a modern IT environment). So we have no chance to register it.

Please fix that MS. Thanks.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well, it would have been a great tool for my studies at the university...back to eclipse XD

• gifomgifom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do strongly dislike and try to avoid any software which requires activation and registration. I do also strongly advise the same for my students. Online registration/activation is against the meaning of the word Free. Microsoft again got it wrong and used dirty trick by saying it is Free, obviously it is NOT, it Forces You to register with Microsoft, it Forces You to connect periodically to Microsoft servers. Microsoft uses Your data for its commercial purposes. Microsoft please remove the word "Free" from all Your pages where this product is presented, because obviously this is not the case of the truly Free software.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Requiring to register the free version of Visual Studio is pointless in some way. This is a free version, isn't it? So why complicate our life?

Feedback and Knowledge Base