I suggest you ...

Enable VS Community activation/registration offline

It would be nice if there was a way to register/activate the Community Edition of VS offline, that one can use it (longer than 30 days) on virtual machines without internet access or PC that cannot access the Internet.
There's a way to install it on machines like those discribed above using the "/layout"-Option of the setup on another PC to then install it on the offline PC afterwards, but then there isn't an option to register/activate that copy of VS.
For example let us download a license file for the community edition in addition to signing into a Microsoft-Account or give us the option of using VS Community without registration of activation entirely.

685 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DrNochiDrNochi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback and the suggestion about Community edition.

This may not be the answer that you want to hear, but we do require occasional online connectivity as a requirement of using Visual Studio Community. As you probably know, we introduced Visual Studio Community two years ago as a free, full-featured development environment designed for students, open source contributors, small companies, startups and individual developers.

While we set out to try and make Community as broadly available as possible, we recognize that it doesn’t accommodate every scenario. For those who need offline usage, Professional and Enterprise editions might be a better choice.

Since we’re not able to accommodate this request, we are closing this suggestion to return your votes. While we can’t address all suggestions, we appreciate the feedback and hope you’ll continue to share your ideas.

Thanks,

Visual Studio Team

87 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jon McRaeJon McRae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could we PLEASE have a community version that allows us to use it!

MS WE CANT REGISTER THIS THING IF WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PUT OUR PC ON THE INTERNET!

I wish it was 1995 again and everyone had unrestricted access to the Internet...but its not.

• MichaelEMichaelE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is interesting that Oracle is now offering ADF, their version of a VB like IDE and RAD code environment, free. It is called: Oracle ADF Essentials. The reasons (below) are what is interesting. I think they are targeting the .Net CE limitations.

Here is a snippet from their website:

Why is Oracle offering Oracle ADF Essentials for Free?
        Oracle ADF Essentials is aimed at removing licensing barriers
        for adoption of the Oracle ADF technologies. With the ability
        to leverage the Oracle ADF functionality for production
        applications without incurring a license fee as well as the
        ability to deploy to open-source servers, more developers can
        adopt Oracle ADF as the base for their applications. Oracle
        believes that increased use of Oracle ADF can also help the
        adoption and usage of Java in enterprise applications.

...this while MS still strictly enforce registration of their "Community" editions. Maybe this is yet ANOTHER nudge to get them to truly make the CE free and Open Source.

MS the Open Source industry is speaking...knock knock???

• MichaelEMichaelE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is interesting that Oracle is now offering ADF, their version of a VB like IDE and RAD code environment, free. It is called: Oracle ADF Essentials. The reasons (below) are what is interesting. I think they are targeting the .Net CE limitations.

Here is a snippet from their website:

Why is Oracle offering Oracle ADF Essentials for Free?
        Oracle ADF Essentials is aimed at removing licensing barriers
        for adoption of the Oracle ADF technologies. With the ability
        to leverage the Oracle ADF functionality for production
        applications without incurring a license fee as well as the
        ability to deploy to open-source servers, more developers can
        adopt Oracle ADF as the base for their applications. Oracle
        believes that increased use of Oracle ADF can also help the
        adoption and usage of Java in enterprise applications.

...this while MS still strictly enforce registration of their "Community" editions. Maybe this is yet ANOTHER nudge to get them to truly make the CE free and Open Source.

MS the Open Source industry is speaking...knock knock???

• EdEd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Activation is highly less than desirable in a very open source world!

Activation is highly less than desirable in a very open source world!

• LisaELisaE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am beginning to think the CE version is just the "Community" that of programmers that do not use modern security. Home PC users and small businesses that have gaping holes in the network.

Like many others, we cannot even put the system the CE is on on any Internet facing system. That is the issue. Hello!

Can anyone share how we can "modify" the CE version to work in secure environments?

• LarryLarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They dont have to F with everything. Open Source WORKS just as it is. All they need to do is play by the rules the rest of the community play by.

Give away the CE unrestricted or call it something else already!

• EdwardEdward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could we PLEASE be able to run the CE version without the registration? There is ZERO (0) chance we can evaluate it as it is (security constraints as others have mentioned).

Thankie!

• Suleman KhalidSuleman Khalid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't get why should there be a need for activation of the community edition? And if it should be, then there should be a way to download an activation key and manually install that key on the offline computer.

• dotNetRulezdotNetRulez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Dad says back in the day MS was the goto OS. I guess they had to do something before LINUX. I like Windows. I use it at work and run some games on it at home.

Why doesn't Microsoft support open source like the rest of the planet man. Whazzup wid dat! This isn't 1998 anymore dog. On their grave stone its gonna read "we kinda supported open source ...NOT!".

• JillJill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want REAL open source Mr. Microsoft. Give us a CE without these registration shenanigans please.

Yes please add offline registration/activation or make it fully open source and not require this.

Thank you!

• LarryLarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The rest of the planet views Open Source as...OPEN. Non-restrictive. Non-obtrusive. Fully functional as-is. Ready for prime-time production environments, i.e. not a toy version. That is the nature of the movement.

We'd all be grateful if you (Microsoft) aligned with this rather than re-present it in your way. Lets us use the CE unrestricted please. As it stands we cannot use it.

Thanks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base