Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide an open API to allow us to extend Code Lens (now that Roslyn is open sourced)

Please open up the API for CodeLens now that Roslyn is available to the wider public. It would allow to to do some great stuff on the local code. I would not mind a model that only works locally for now, though a server side API would be nice.

655 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      under review  ·  23 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 151 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        12 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow 3rd Party Developers Access To ASP.NET Web Project "Change Authentication" Dialog

I run the very popular ASP.NET MVC Boilerplate project template extension which is currently the most popular project template in the Visual Studio Gallery.

I am asked every few days to add authentication support to the project template. I want to be able to hook into the "Change Authentication" dialogue and give consumers of my template the choice of which authentication provider they want to add.

77 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Conditions support for <Content> section of VSIX manifest

Currently you can have a single .vsix file targeting several Visual Studio versions. But all the content is deployed to all Visual Studio versions. The request is to be able to deploy content based on conditions such as the Visual Studio version, edition, dependency installed or not, etc.

An scenario for this goal is the following: suppose that I have a single package MyAssembly.dll which has two different .vsct tables with different icons for VS 2010 (colorful) and 2012/2013 (gray). So I get two embedded resources such as Menus1.ctmenu and Menus2.ctmenu. Imagine that somehow I get two .pkdef files (MyAssembly1.pkdef…

46 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make notifications extensible

In VS 2013 you guys added notifications:
            http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2013/10/09/10449071.aspx

Many extensions would benefit from a uniform notification system.

I work on Code Review extension, and I'd love my users to know when new comments have been made, when folks sign off on the review and what not.

This seems like such a central feature - it deserves extensibility.

45 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              3 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re looking at this, but our primary concern is protecting the notifications area from abuse. Clearly there are legitimate uses for this capability, but we hear loud and clear from other developers that they do not want this feature opened up broadly, for fear that the signal-to-noise ratio is wrong. Further comments on reasonable restrictions are greatly appreciated as we consider this.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• add support for AWS CodeCommit to Git plugin

Current Git Plugin support doesn't support authentication to AWS Code Commit.

34 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Newer versions of Visual studio (say 2015) should be compatible with extensions created for previous versions of VS automatically

Not all extension writers will update their extensions all the way along VS's upgrade path. And they shouldn't have to if they don't have newer things to add.
                However, as a conquence, these extensions won't report compatible with newer versions' of VS. So every time there is a new version of VS, there will be fewer extensions, which is not something that should happen.

26 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

We hear you. Unfortunately forward compatibility has proven harder than any of us would like.

Some examples of the complexity here, not as a defense but just in the interests of transparency:
                  – By default, the extension manifest that is part of the template for new projects in Visual Studio 2015 targets just the current version, which is probably too conservative;
                  – We changed the signing mechanism between Visual Studio 2013 and Visual Studio 2015 from SHA1 to SHA256 to keep pace with security standards, which meant that older versions show as incompatible;
                  – The gallery doesn’t automatically show extensions as compatible with the latest version unless the developer marks them accordingly (even if they are actually compatible);
                  – In Visual Studio vNext, we’ll install less by default – so extensions that thought they were compatible with later versions may be wrong (e.g. we no longer include the C# language…

• Publicly expose API for creating InterlineAdornments

There exists an API for creating Interline Adornments within Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Internal. Please considering moving this to one of the publicly available extensibility assemblies so customers can easily create adornments that exist between lines (similar to CodeLens adornments)

24 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • support setting a custom logger for msbuild from within visual studio without an extension

One can implement a custom logger for msbuild (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms171471.aspx) and supplying it in the /logger parameter.

This works like a charm when using msbuild from outside of visual studio. Inside of visual studio there is not way to supply a logger to msbuild.

It can be accomplished by writing a visual studio extension - but this adds an additional hurdle and sometimes is not an option.

We also don't want to resort to workaround like: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28733875/can-a-msbuild-custom-logger-be-specified-within-a-project-file/28806181#28806181

21 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Extend Visual Studio API with a method to set startup projects that shall be started without debugging

The Visual Studio API provides a method to programmatically set the startup project(s):
                      https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/envdte.solutionbuild.startupprojects.aspx

But unfortunately, the method does not allow to specify startup projects that shall be started without attached debugger.

Please also see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8817693/how-do-i-programmatically-find-out-the-action-of-each-startup-project-in-a-solut for some more information.

18 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Choose multiple extensions first, then take action at once!!

Every time there is a new installation of VS, I have to install 12 extensions one by one. Would be nice if you guys make it like WebMatrix installation launcher, where you first add multiple extensions to your bucket list and then install them at once.

Same goes for deletion.

17 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Allow extensions to filter their MEF exports by VS version

When writing VS extensions that support multiple versions of Visual Studio from a single VSIX, it would be very useful to filter specific [Export]s to only be exported in specific VS versions.

This would be useful for workarounds for bugs that were fixed in newer versions, or for working with features that were only introduced in newer versions.

16 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Extension Updates should update within VS

I've run into a couple extension updates (typescript and ASP.Net Web tools) that have shown up in the notifications area and correspond to the Extensions and Updates manager dialog. When I initiate the update via the button in the dialog, they trigger a download in my browser and a separate installer window.
                            Updates that are advertised in the update manager should be .vsix installs when ever possible (especially for MSFT components) and should install within VS. Ideally without a restart of VS.
                            Launching a download in the browser breaks the continuity that used to be present in the Extensions and…

14 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re making good progress here, and expect to have solved this problem for the vast majority of Microsoft extensions by the RTM of Visual Studio “15” (the next version of Visual Studio). Extensions that do this are largely MSI or EXE installers which need to perform operations that VSIXv2 doesn’t support. We’ve added more capabilities to the VSIX format for the next release of Visual Studio and the two you mention in particular will be able to install directly using the VSIX installer.

Thanks for your feedback! Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• Embedded MCU development.

Step into the embedded software development space. I know .NET Micro Framework but that targets larger MCUs and is interpreted, which is not ideal. Target PIC and AVR MCUs and perhaps others. Have an Express version that help Makers to start easily to develop their IoT projects. This could be positioned as an extension of the IoT 'vision'.

It would require VS to run external Tool chains or build support for the MCU targets. Make sure UnitTests and Source Code Control is available and provide good low level insights in the generated/compiled code.

Popular board can maybe also be supported…

14 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Visual Studio Extension Backup and Sync for VS 2014

Currently, Visual Studio allows developers to sync settings and IDE layouts in VS on multiple machines. It's a great feature but it's incomplete. Extensions are excluded from being backed up and synchronized across installations. Developers find it very tiring to download every single extension they need AGAIN just because their using VS on a different machine. However, all is not lost if the next version can just add this *tiny* feature.

14 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Allow to automatically install extensions/plugins per solution

With VS 2015 we now have the possibility to automatically install/add both server-side packages (Nuget) and client-side packages (NPM, gulp/grunt, bower) to a solution. This is done by simply adding some configuration files (packages.config, package.json, gulpfile.js, etc) to the solution and putting them under version control.

One thing which is missing, is a similar way to allow to configure the extensions/plugins which are required by a Visual Studio solution.

I propose to add the ability to add an extensions.config file to a solution, which lists the extensions/plugins required by that solution.

Whenever someone starts working with that solution, the required…

12 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Developer Toolkit for Dynamics CRM

We need support for the Developer Toolkit for Dynamics CRM, the last one is supported on VS2012 which is already old, this is a very useful tool when developing for Dynamics CRM

12 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Update VSAE for Visual Studio 2015

Visual Studio Authoring Extensions are the best way to write SCOM management packs. Currently this isn't available for VS2015. Please can you sort this as its the last thing stopping me updating to VS2015.

12 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Remove Strong Naming from the Visual Studio Extensibility templates

Strong naming is a barrier to entry for many new authors of Visual Extensions and provides very marginal value. It requires all the referenced DLLs to be strongly named and the last thing a new extension author wants to be doing is messing around with ildasm.exe.

Developing Visual Studio extensions is hard and the more you can remove these "I have no idea what I'm doing" moments, the better. Signing is an option that (unfortunately) needs to exist but the vast majority of extensions don't need it and it doesn't make sense as a default.

12 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Extensions per solution support

Sometimes I find myself in situations where I wish I had the option to disable/enable specific extensions for specific solutions mainly for two reasons:

1. The extension is heavy and opening large solutions can take quite some time so you're in the mercy of the vendor to improve the experience, the classic example is using R# with large projects.

2. The extension shouldn't even load because the extension isn't used for example using Visual Assist for C++ as opposed to R#.

The problem is when you disable/enable extensions sometimes you lose the configuration and you need to restore it each…

10 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base