Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Updating Tools & Extensions is waaay too painful.

Make it automatic for any tool or extension already installed, w/o having to exit VS.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make VSAE custom tool (FragmentGenerator) run with every build

The Visual Studio Authoring Extensions (VSAE) custom tool called FragmentGenerator used for transformation of snippet data and templates into MP fragments seems to run only when you remember to do so manually.

It’s possible to do TFS builds of VSAE solutions. However with the limitation mentioned above, you cannot just update the configuration (.mpsd files) in say TFS and do a new build to get the updated MP

It seems you need to use VS to run the custom tool manually for ever configuration update.

For some reason VSAE did not choose T4 as its text templating engine. T4 can…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Extensions specify what permissions it requires, and don't let them do anything else.

Something a lot of people don't realise about VS Extensions is they run under full permission.
    This means they can read your documents, delete them, or even upload them to another website without you knowing.

Like apps in Phones, Extensions should run with as few permissions as possible. What permissions they have should be very transparent, and developers should be strongly encouraged to limit their extensions.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Have VS2015 report which extension failed when it reports an extension failure.

One or more of my installed VS2015 extensions seem to fail at random times as reported by a popup error dialog. The popup directs me to a logfile for more details. It's not obvious to me from looking at the log which extension failed. Could you just include the name of the extension that failed in the popup dialog?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Inform people of what has changed when extensions are automatically updated

When extensions are updated the current message tells me nothing of what is changed or even which ones were changed. It would be nice to see a list of what was improved.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Financial Tool Kit for visual studio

I would like to see a financial tool kit similar to the one you find with Matlab computational finance package b

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Provide better documentation and code examples for implementing language service extensions

It seems to me that a majority of the documentation that covered "writing your own language" is out of date, referring back to Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 implementations that no longer seem to work. The concepts still exist in the newest 2015 release, but implementations have changed enough that the current documentation isn't enough to help migrate developers to the current way it should be done.

And/Or

Refactor the Roslyn project to have a generic base in which other language designers can build upon. Today it is too tightly coupled with C# and VB to be able to easily…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Extend Visual Studio API with a method to set startup projects that shall be started without debugging

The Visual Studio API provides a method to programmatically set the startup project(s):
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/envdte.solutionbuild.startupprojects.aspx

But unfortunately, the method does not allow to specify startup projects that shall be started without attached debugger.

Please also see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8817693/how-do-i-programmatically-find-out-the-action-of-each-startup-project-in-a-solut for some more information.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Document $ variables

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351150/document-variables.html
    Creating a new "C# project template", inside ProjectTemplate.csproj there are condition statements used that are not documented.

$if$ and $endif$..

Its not here
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7szfhaft.aspx

or here
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms164307.aspx

Not sure where else to look. Stackoverflow doesn't have anything...

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Visual Studio 2015 and Bing Developer Assistant

When searching for code samples, I was told that the results are limited to current programming language. I would like an option to extend the search to include both C# and VB.NET.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. add an editor api that tells caller if user is in snippet/template editing mode

When a user has selected a snippet and it has been inserted into the editor, there is no way to know when snippet editing mode is active or is completed/no longer active.

Allow extension developers to find out about this special editor mode either via an API call like IsInTemplateEditingMode or via firing of events like snippet_inserted/snippet_edit_complete.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Populate template info from existing template with same name

If the template I'm exporting already exists (in a previously exported form), pre-populate the template description, icon image, and previous image with the ones in the previously exported form. Otherwise, I'm just leaving all of these blank because I'm tired of re-doing it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Provide an open API to allow us to extend Code Lens (now that Roslyn is open sourced)

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351311/provide-an-open-api-to-allow-us-to-extend-code-len.html
    Please open up the API for CodeLens now that Roslyn is available to the wider public. It would allow to to do some great stuff on the local code. I would not mind a model that only works locally for now, though a server side API would be nice.

811 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    24 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for raising and voting for this suggestion.

At this point, we’d like to dive further into the specific needs your scenarios will have from the API. If you can spend a few minutes to answer the questions on this survey, we’d greatly appreciate it! Your answers will help us plan and prioritize the work required.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/F5XRQJ7

Regards,
    Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE

14. Support VS2010 in Bing Developer Assistant

The OneCode Team is developing the excellent "Bing Developer Assistant" Visual Studio Extension.
    "Bing Developer Assistant puts millions of code snippets and code sample projects at your fingertips while you are coding in Visual Studio."

(evolved from the All-In-One Code Framework Sample Browser that worked happily on VS2010)

Sadly the VS2010 extension has been pulled, and now requires VS2012+ to install.

Bring back (some) VS2010 support for this excellent extension, for those teams still using the VS2010 environment.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Conditions support for <Content> section of VSIX manifest

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351061/conditions-support-for-section-of-vsix-manifest.html
    Currently you can have a single .vsix file targeting several Visual Studio versions. But all the content is deployed to all Visual Studio versions. The request is to be able to deploy content based on conditions such as the Visual Studio version, edition, dependency installed or not, etc.

An scenario for this goal is the following: suppose that I have a single package MyAssembly.dll which has two different .vsct tables with different icons for VS 2010 (colorful) and 2012/2013 (gray). So I get…

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Visual Studio Extension Backup and Sync for VS 2014

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351330/visual-studio-extension-backup-and-sync-for-vs-201.html
    Currently, Visual Studio allows developers to sync settings and IDE layouts in VS on multiple machines. It's a great feature but it's incomplete. Extensions are excluded from being backed up and synchronized across installations. Developers find it very tiring to download every single extension they need AGAIN just because their using VS on a different machine. However, all is not lost if the next version can just add this *tiny* feature.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Stop asking to install plugins that are not supported on my OS

I check my Extensions and Updates manager regularly to ensure that my Visual Studio install is kept up to date. However there is now an update listed in there that I cannot possibly install. Why is Visual Studio asking me to install an update that is not supported on my Operating System? You could at least have an OS-level compatibility check before nagging me about updates.

In case you want to look at specifics, I'm running VS2013 Pro (Update 4) and I'm being asked to install Windows Phone 8.1 Emulator, which I'd be happy to do except this is a…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Make notifications extensible

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351291/make-notifications-extensible.html
    In VS 2013 you guys added notifications:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2013/10/09/10449071.aspx

Many extensions would benefit from a uniform notification system.

I work on Code Review extension, and I'd love my users to know when new comments have been made, when folks sign off on the review and what not.

This seems like such a central feature - it deserves extensibility.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re looking at this, but our primary concern is protecting the notifications area from abuse. Clearly there are legitimate uses for this capability, but we hear loud and clear from other developers that they do not want this feature opened up broadly, for fear that the signal-to-noise ratio is wrong. Further comments on reasonable restrictions are greatly appreciated as we consider this.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

1 2 4 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base