Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Search and drill down extension by author

It would be great if we could search extensions by author. Roaming extensions don't seem to work as the should, so I almost always need to search for extensions again every time I repave my computers and since many are made by the same author (Mads, Microsoft, etc), it would help a lot if the author was included in the search filter and if we could click on the author name in the extension details in Extension Manager and see all extensions by that author.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide a 'checkpoint' for Visual Studio extension installs to enable rollback

Often installing a buggy extension or an extension that conflicts with another installed extension can ruin Visual Studio. This can necessitate repairing and re-installing some of the extensions to return to a stable environment, and since we don't have the ability to see a timeline of when extensions were installed, there can be some hit-and-miss trying to get back to a stable state. Whole days can be wasted trying to recover from bad extensions.

Please create a mechanism that, when an extension is installed, the environment is somehow checkpointed, similar to a database checkpoint, so that extensions can be rolled…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add $(Configuration) and $(Platform) to External Tools arguments list

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/managing-external-tools describes the currently supported arguments that can inserted into External Tools definitions.

$(Platform) actually already works, but is undocumented and not exposed in the UI pop-up menus. $(Configuration) does not. Please add full support for both of these, as these are incredibly useful, for example to enable easy custom runs of MSBuild against the current project to execute custom build targets.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make VSAE custom tool (FragmentGenerator) run with every build

The Visual Studio Authoring Extensions (VSAE) custom tool called FragmentGenerator used for transformation of snippet data and templates into MP fragments seems to run only when you remember to do so manually.

It’s possible to do TFS builds of VSAE solutions. However with the limitation mentioned above, you cannot just update the configuration (.mpsd files) in say TFS and do a new build to get the updated MP

It seems you need to use VS to run the custom tool manually for ever configuration update.

For some reason VSAE did not choose T4 as its text templating engine. T4 can…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. VS Extension install dialog selectable target VS versions

# Allow install VS extension (vsix) multiple target VS versions for one time.

* Current: Install vsix via VS extension manage dialog, installed target executing VS version only. Download and execute vsix direct, auto multiple install target VS versions.

* Improvement: Install vsix via VS extension manage dialog, show multiple target VS versions checkboxes and selectable targets by user. (And already checked for current execution VS version)

# Background

* I repeated more repeated, re-install VS and extensions, search extension and install extension, and another VS version repeated and repeated... fgrrr!!!

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Display results in charts in %

We have objectives that are often in % instead of numbers.
    It could be nice to have this option when displayed a charts with several states of an item. Having the big number a % for easier display and report.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. More freedom in VS isolated Shell

In Vs 2015 isolated shell we need more freedom to create our site. Like edit the Blank Solution : add folders or oder items, so that you do not need to add thmen everytime if you open a new project. Or let the people pu their own template into the isolated shell.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Inform people of what has changed when extensions are automatically updated

When extensions are updated the current message tells me nothing of what is changed or even which ones were changed. It would be nice to see a list of what was improved.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow Extensions and Updates From Command Line

It has become a regular part of my day to open Visual Studio and check Extensions and Updates. Usually, the updates have to be run one at a time and require a restart of Visual Studio.

A better experience would be to not have to open Visual Studio at all. I would rather open Command Prompt/Bash/PowerShell and issue a command to view a list of available updates, selectively install all of them or individual packages via the command line.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. VSPackage Builder 2015

Hello,

do you work on porting VSPackage Builder to Visual Studio 2015? If not it would be nice to upload source code tp github so that community can port it or so.

Kind regards

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. create ".vs" folder in user home dir, do not allow extensions to publish directly to home dir

I'm am finding that many extensions are publishing files in my home directory that are affecting my global development environment in unexpected ways. For example, when I am working with javascript/node projects I have found that some VS extensions have installed linters in my home directory and they are triggering errors when they shouldn't be, or overriding local dev settings. Extensions should only be allowed to installed files in a directory allowed by VS and NOT in the home dir root.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Keyboard shortcuts for build tasks configured for "Open Folder" projects

An option to bind build tasks configured for "Open Folder" projects to keyboard shortcuts would be awesome! Currently I'm working on a project based on a "make.bat" build file and can't figure out an easy way like in Visual Studio Code to set shortcuts for my tasks.

Kind regards
    Andy

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Visual Studio - when linking out to external sites that host extensions, maintain context to the version that matches the IDE.

I use VS2015, as it's the latest IDE that supports SSDT. When I click a link *within the editor* to an extension - it always lands on a VS2017 splash page, which is incorrect. The link out should include context to land on the extension site that corresponds to the version of the IDE generating the link. This would reduce "friction" in using your tools.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow the Visual Studio installer for the Int-Preview builds roll back to previous versions

I'm developing an extension and accidentally hit an update for the Int-Preview to 275170.d15.7 There seem to be some incompatibilities with my previously build msenv.dll and CPS extensions. Rather than forward syncing all the plugins I depend on it would be nice if I could roll back the int-preview build to last week so I can remain productive and not have to find a new set of commits that happen to work together with the installed VS.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Enable reading / writing user-scoped project settings via Workspace APIs

Currently there seems to be no way for accessing the settings stored in .csproj.user files via the Workspace APIs, so any Visual Studio extension relying on the user settings will have to force a full load of the project to access these settings.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Opensource VS SDK nuget packages

With the introduction of the official SDK packages (via https://www.nuget.org/profiles/VisualStudioExtensibility), it's become much easier to reference required packages!

I would like to request opensourcing those nugets, so that contributions could be made.

I'm sure you are aware of a community effort around VS SDK packages by Sam Harwell, I believe they currently cover a wider API set (as well as supporting versions previous to Visual Studio 2015).

By opensourcing the official packages and taking contributions, it can will lead to a better, more complete ecosystem.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. VSIX should support the user's msbuild extensions path as an install root

VSIX allows files to be installed into a few directories outside the Visual Studio extensions directory, but they're all under the Visual Studio install directory, and requires admin access to install.

If the VSIX supports installing files to the user MSBuild extensions path (in the use profile directory), then admin access would not be required to install the VSIX, and the extension could support auto-updating.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Extension version pinning and revert

Hello,

We use quite a lot of extensions in our company and love it!
    But sometimes an extension gets updated and it contains a bug or some other snafu and have to then disable that extension.

I tried searching for a similar request but I haven't found one so here it goes.

Could you add version support similar to NuGet packages?
    So that we could for instance be able to install version X of the extension or block version Y from being installed? That way we could revert to a previous version of an extension in case it breaks.

It…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base