Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide better documentation and code examples for implementing language service extensions

It seems to me that a majority of the documentation that covered "writing your own language" is out of date, referring back to Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 implementations that no longer seem to work. The concepts still exist in the newest 2015 release, but implementations have changed enough that the current documentation isn't enough to help migrate developers to the current way it should be done.

And/Or

Refactor the Roslyn project to have a generic base in which other language designers can build upon. Today it is too tightly coupled with C# and VB to be able to easily…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Visual Studio 2015: Only Notify For Major Revision Updates

In Visual Studio 2015 (community), I'm receiving notifications to update my extensions to the new minor revision.
    As an example, one notification is about updating cloud explorer from version 1.0.51117.3 to 1.0.60329.3.
    I think there should an option in the settings to just get notified when a major revision (in our example 1.1) is released.
    I really don't want to browse notifications very often to see which is a major revision for me to update.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Fix VSIX extensions so they actually work with .NET Standard projects

I have a very tool-centric development approach. I use ten different custom tools, all written in C# and exposed as Single File Generators.

Due to my cross platform requirements, I have moved my code to .NET Standard and .NET Core, this despite knowing that the code generators will not work on these projects due to a bug in Visual Studio (reported). I have had to make use of another tool I have that reads solutions and project files and generates make files from them. Hopefully, this is a temporary work-around. But it gets worse.

It turns out that it is…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Support VS2010 in Bing Developer Assistant

The OneCode Team is developing the excellent "Bing Developer Assistant" Visual Studio Extension.
    "Bing Developer Assistant puts millions of code snippets and code sample projects at your fingertips while you are coding in Visual Studio."

(evolved from the All-In-One Code Framework Sample Browser that worked happily on VS2010)

Sadly the VS2010 extension has been pulled, and now requires VS2012+ to install.

Bring back (some) VS2010 support for this excellent extension, for those teams still using the VS2010 environment.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 'Restart Now' button should distinguish between OS restart and VS restart

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351451/restart-now-button-should-distinguish-between-os-r.html
    When installing or updating a VSIX, the user is often prompted to "Restart Now" which is a terrifying proposition because there's really no way of knowing what Visual Studio means.

Does it mean restart Visual Studio? If so that's annoying but not a big deal.
    Does it mean restart the Vsix? If so, that's so trivial why bother asking.
    Does it mean restart Windows? If so, then no: my OS is busy doing things I need it to do.

Not knowing is a…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. New File Type Extension

Please add a new extension to easily create new file types in the New File dialog. Have not seen an easy way to accomplish this so far.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Provide a way to determine which extension has changed code

As more extensions are installed, as harder it is to determine which extension has changed my code.

For example: I have disabled automatic brace completion for the editor. But when I write "if " really quickly, a brace is automatically added. I have no clue, which extension or which code has this added.

It would be great to have some tools to quickly see, which extension was responsible for this change. Otherwise, I have to disable/enable every extension.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Stable cookiecutter templates release with tags

Let us choose a stable release, when we right-click on a cookiecutter template to have in the dropdown menu Tags. Something like this:
    Cookiecutter template -> Right click -> tags -> 1.0.0; 1.1.0; 2.0.0

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Know your community - We love achievements

We are programmers, and programmers loves achievements..no? How people could become even more addicted to their job, or hobby? Coding while gathering Achievements !! Just look at Stack Overflow mechanism... Imagine a coding environment that pops you in the bottom... " You successfully compiled your first C# program" or " You did your first Data-binding" ... I'm just seeing great potential here.... potential to get people even more engorged into the world of programming using Visual Studio ;) " Achievement Mode. Engaged! " ~haters gonna hate...but I hope not~

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Document $ variables

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351150/document-variables.html
    Creating a new "C# project template", inside ProjectTemplate.csproj there are condition statements used that are not documented.

$if$ and $endif$..

Its not here
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7szfhaft.aspx

or here
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms164307.aspx

Not sure where else to look. Stackoverflow doesn't have anything...

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make the new MRU list control public

We use a custom visual studio start page in our shop, a single xaml file. Since upgrading to VS 2017, the MruListBox on our custom page no longer works correctly.

I have been informed that VS 2017 introduced a new MRU service in order to support some new features. Apparently as part of switching to the new service, VS stopped updating the old service.

Please either/both:
    * expose the new MRU WPF control publicly so we can take advantage of the new features in our custom page
    * wherever possible, resume sending data and configuration updates to the old MRU…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I should be able to uninstall "EVERY" extension...

There are so many that have a disabled uninstall button. I tried re-running the installer and looking at Programs/Features.

If I'm not going to use the extension - why should it be in the system - possibly creating conflicts.

If extensions are to be valuable - I should be able to bring it on when it is needed, and remove it when it is not.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Develope the Information about VS 2015. especially isolated shell part

Develope the Information about VS 2015. especially isolated shell part

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When updating a disabled extension, keep it disabled

When I update a disabled extension, I'd like it to stay disabled. Currently, I have to update it, restart VS, disable it, and restart VS again. It's tedious and time-consuming.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. In "Notifications", show what's already installed.

When I see "Microsoft Azure SDK 2.8.2 is available" I'd also like to know if Azure is installed, like, "You have Azure 1.0 installed", or, "Azure is not installed on your system".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Support changing Visual Studio Color Theme programatically in a VS extension

Currently you can't change VS Color Theme in a VS extension on the fly. There are some ways to do it, but none of them are really great: changing through the registry requires a restart to take effect; you can also import a settings file, however than can also bring other changes which you don't want.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Rules and Rights for tfs on premise process template modification.

Within our TFS Environment, we have defined 1 Company wide process template.
    If a Project want to have a Change, they can request this, but is must be visible for all other Project.
    This could lead to 1-3 month delay between requesting a new Attribute and have it implemented.
    We do this, because in the past it costs us a lot of effort to harmonize all our Project. At the Moment we have 300 Projects in our main Collection.

For the future we want to define a "Standard" set of Attributes, which are not allowed to Change and a specific…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Modify the git add-in in VS2015 to only commit changes to selected files instead of a blanket Commit All.

Modify the git feature in VS2015 to only commit changes to selected files instead of a blanket Commit All that commits changes for all files with the same comment. You can leave the Commit All options there if you want, but please add Commit options to commit changes only to selected files. The way it works in VS2013 is the desired behavior.

I am forced to use the git command line to commit changes for individual files (not that it's a bad thing to use the command line).

Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Nuget package for Team Explorer

Your provide great nuget packages for VSSDK and interaction with TFS.

Please also provide a nuget package for Team Explorer that contains assemblies like 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Controls.dll' or 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Controls.dll' to be able to develop extensions for Team Explorer in an easier way.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Updating Tools & Extensions is waaay too painful.

Make it automatic for any tool or extension already installed, w/o having to exit VS.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base