Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a checkbox to the VSIX Installer dialog box to open Visual Studio

Since it is necessary to close Visual Studio to initiate the installation of extensions I suggest that the VSIX Installer dialog box be modified to enabled reopening Visual Studio after the installation is complete. This could be done with an additional button next to the Close button or a check box to enable the option.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Rewrite your DTE code so that property references do not cause an exception.

Rewrite your DTE code so that property references do not cause an exception.

Example: if (dte.ActiveSolutionProjects != null){...}
    This throws a Com exception if no solution is loaded into the environment. Instead, as a property reference is should return a null value when ActiveSolutionProjects has no value. I can wrap this in an exception handler but that can become very expensive in terms of performance.
    A little bit of defensive programing on the VS DTE side of things would go a long way. Com Interop does not have to fail this way!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. uninstall extension dialog too long

Some extensions (like Roslyn Expression Evaluator) have so many dependent extensions that the dialog that displays when accidentally clicking the uinstall option extends beyond the length of the monitor. Since the caption bar cannot be moved off screen it is impossible to get to the bottom to see what option(s) are available. The ESC button won't dismiss the dialog nor anything other than pressing ENTER which seems to trigger the uninstall, by default.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Revert project template importing

The old template system was so simple! Why did you change it?

All I got from "export template" was a zip file but copying that into the Templates directory no longer adds it to Visual Studio.

What is the point of this change? The old system was fine.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable extension management from a stand alone tool

I would to view the extensions I have installed and manage them without having to run the full instance of Visual Studio.
    This could be very useful when setting up new machines or after upgrading to a new version of Visual Studio.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Populate template info from existing template with same name

If the template I'm exporting already exists (in a previously exported form), pre-populate the template description, icon image, and previous image with the ones in the previously exported form. Otherwise, I'm just leaving all of these blank because I'm tired of re-doing it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Financial Tool Kit for visual studio

I would like to see a financial tool kit similar to the one you find with Matlab computational finance package b

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Stop asking to install plugins that are not supported on my OS

I check my Extensions and Updates manager regularly to ensure that my Visual Studio install is kept up to date. However there is now an update listed in there that I cannot possibly install. Why is Visual Studio asking me to install an update that is not supported on my Operating System? You could at least have an OS-level compatibility check before nagging me about updates.

In case you want to look at specifics, I'm running VS2013 Pro (Update 4) and I'm being asked to install Windows Phone 8.1 Emulator, which I'd be happy to do except this is a…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. add an editor api that tells caller if user is in snippet/template editing mode

When a user has selected a snippet and it has been inserted into the editor, there is no way to know when snippet editing mode is active or is completed/no longer active.

Allow extension developers to find out about this special editor mode either via an API call like IsInTemplateEditingMode or via firing of events like snippet_inserted/snippet_edit_complete.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Change the link for Discover ways to extend and customize the IDE

When you click the link 'Discover ways to extend and customize the IDE', this should take you to information about extensibility.

As it now, you are sent to Visual Studio Marketplace.

Visual Studio seems to confuse 'Find an extension' with extend and customize the IDE.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Have VS2015 report which extension failed when it reports an extension failure.

One or more of my installed VS2015 extensions seem to fail at random times as reported by a popup error dialog. The popup directs me to a logfile for more details. It's not obvious to me from looking at the log which extension failed. Could you just include the name of the extension that failed in the popup dialog?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Visual Studio 2015 and Bing Developer Assistant

When searching for code samples, I was told that the results are limited to current programming language. I would like an option to extend the search to include both C# and VB.NET.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Visual Studio extensions performance score/ranking

Some plugins slow down Visual Studio.

The VS team has added a great feature that highlights when an extension slows down VS at startup. What would be even better is if each extension had a performance ranking that is visible before users install an extension. This ranking would be based on how many users have performance problems with the extension (as calculated by VS). This will be an incentive for plugin publishers to fix their extension if it causes performance problems for many users.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Open Extension Development More, For Enterprise Customers to Build Custom Tools

I work in a mid-large size IT department (no names, please) and have found our typical execution situation is not orthodox to many developers. It is good to distinguish certain practices in an Enterprise environment that may be absent from the needs of an Indie developer, consultant, etc.

I know for our team, the process of crafting extensions with certain levels of expected access and control has been difficult in the past, and would like to see this cafeteria-styled install extend into IDE components as well.

I know as a marketable standpoint, developing a custom environment set (Extensions, UI, settings)…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Can not create new DSL designer project with Modeling sdk on visual studio community

The download page for the Modeling SDK states that it works with Visual Studio 2015 Community. It installs with no problem and the create Domain-Specific Language Designer project template shows under extinceablite. When you click on it the wizard displays a requires Visual Studio 2010 Professional or higher error message and dose not create the new project.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Export Item Template - from Solution Explorer context menu

It would make more sense then current workflow with Export Template Wizard, asking annoying things that he should be already aware of.

+ it would make sense if newly created template ends up at Template directory defined in "Locations" tab of General properties.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. VSIXInstaller is using too much CPU while waiting for apps to exit

VSIXInstaller.exe is using a continuous 8-20% CPU usage while it is waiting for applications to exit.

I suppose someone coded a ugly thread.sleep loop with a too short delay. I suggest extending the delay to a few seconds or adding a button "Check again" or "Refresh".

I plan to keep the VSIX window open for a few days because I cannot close the current instances of VS and I want this extension installed any time in the future. But I cannot allow the installer to use that much CPU!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 4 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base