Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow remove Git remote tags

Add an option to remove remote tags or ask if you want to remove the remote tag also when you remove a local tag from the tags panel.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Unpromote package from Release view at TFS 2018

I add package to feed with version 1 and promote it to @Release view.

Then, i add package to feed with version 2 and promote it to @Release_1.

Then, i want to remove package from @Release_1 view (and, may be, promote it to @Release_2 ) . But i can not find how to do that

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix Nuget Integration with Source Control

If you add a project to source control and check-in your code, update a nuget package, then attempt to check-in the code again, you'll often get a source control error saying that it can't find the files you just removed (from the previous nuget package).

You have to find the files that have the error (i.e.: the old nuget package folder), click Undo (to remove the changes from the list of pending changes), and then re-try checking in... and then wait for Visual Studio to find the next nuget package you updated... and start the process all over again.

Visual…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Pending Changes should remember Message on restart

It is useful to add text in the Pending Changes 'Message' box as one adds each part of a larger change. Unfortunately, if VS is restarted, that text is lost, and one has to try retyping it from memory, which is annoying and error prone.

Please make the 'Message' box remember any written text across restarts.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Merge from

To merge from a different branch, I now have to:
    - click branch name in the bottom-down corner
    - choose Manage Branches
    - go to Branches
    - right click current branch name
    - choose Merge from

Instead, there should be a Merge From option in the menu that opens when you click the branch in step 1 - see attached file.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Please enable user to create branch of project using Online TFS Website

Let users to create or manage code branch using Online TFS Website

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Code Review: add (default?) option to exclude whitespace changes, and similar trivial changes like removal of unnecessary usings

Sometimes 90% of the changes in a code review are white space corrections made by tools like ReSharper or CodeMaid.
    Or other trivial corrections like removal of unnecessary usings

Which in the best case scenario take unneeded time and in the worst case might hide code changes that actually need reviewing.

I would suggest to filter these changes and not show them (optional making this a toggle)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow Querying Pull Requests in VSTS / TFS

I would like to be able to query pull requests (status, etc.) against all GIT repositories from within VSTS. Currently--unless your write code against the API--you have to look at each repository in VSTS in order to see pull request status.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Space (%20) in VSTS git repos

In VSTS it's possible to create projects with space in the name. When I clone the git I end up with %20 in the name instead of the space. Visual Studio then fails to build the solution. Please improve how this is handled.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make it possible to disable/remove git completely

We use a external tool to manage git repositories, perform commits or switch branches.

The integrated git in Visual Studio seems to interact with the local git repositories without having ever been configured to do so. As soon as the project is under version control Visual Studio thinks it is ok to interact with the repo.
    This can result in all kind of problems. One problem we are regularly seeing is Visual Studio creating a .lock file while another tool performs a merge.

I suggest to change the git integration so that Visual Studio does not mess with repositories if…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Specifying reviewers as "required" when a Pull Request has more then X changes

I want specify a required reviwer if a pull request has more than 10 (parameter) changes.

I Think this is very useful to previne big refactories without double-check

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add an option to git pull by clicking an arrow icon

Add the option to pull changes by clicking a downward facing arrow in the right bottom of the IDE just like we have an upward facing arrow to push changes

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Quick access to GIT commands of current active GIT branch

Hi,

If I'm not wrong, the only way to access GIT commands (checkout, pull, etc.) is by opening "branches" section and search directly by branch name using the textbox on top of that area or go through tree view hierarchy and find the branch we are working to perform those actions.

As a user, I would like to have quick access to those commands and avoid having to search for the branch to those actions, and so, be more productive and efficient.

As a suggestion, the quick GIT commands can be added to the context menu of the top level…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add support for track in to the IDE and status area

Git supports tracking relationships to allow local branches to show information on how many commits the branch is behind by using the track command on a branch https://www.git-tower.com/learn/git/faq/track-remote-upstream-branch.

Other git tools such as gitkraken (attached git_tracking.png) have this feature built in so that we know if we the branch is behind and we need to pull changes in. It would be great if we had

a. The ability to track the branch in the ide from the branches section
    b. The number of commits behind for the current branch in the git info area (attached git_info.png)
    c. The number…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. TFVC repository mapping copy to CI filters

When creating or editing a vNext Build definition, it should be possible to use the TFVC repository mappings to the CI filters.
    Vast majority of times, the folders we have configured on the repo mappings are the same as the build CI filters.
    A simple check-box "use this as CI filter" or something similar would be sufficient.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. I suggest you give back github, cos u guys suck

u suck. pls give back. TFS is so annoying.thanks bye

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Right-Click > Create Shelveset

Provide ability to select various files in Pending Changes pane, right-click them and choose Create Shelveset.

Often when managing changes for a large story, you want to move some of those changes off to a shelveset. Typically you have to manually exclude/promote the files to get the right files ready for a shelveset.

It would be nice to just be able to select various files you want to shelveset (CTRL/SHIFT + Click), then right-click the selection and choose Create Shelveset.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Create a way to update the TFS URL in Visual Studio automatically, via script, customization file, log on script, GPO ect...

Provide a method to update the TFS server URL that users have specified in Visual Studio in some automated fashion. It could be a GPO, log on script, customization file, or other tool/script/method that can be deployed silently to clients. A URL change is a functionality breaking event and requiring thousands of users to change it manually in the Visual Studio GUI when it changes is problematic.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add support for GitLab and other non Microsoft repositories in Visual Studio.

Since now Github is bought from Microsoft, and because users not trust in Microsoft tactics and are massively migrating to other repositories like GitLab and others, we need support for GitLab and other non Microsoft repositories in Visual Studio.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Provide a sample PowerShell script to automatically create a TFS 2017 build definition

We use a PowerShell script to automatically create all needed build definitions for each application we develop (and there are about 60 of them). This is the only point keeping us from upgrading to TFS 2017: We do not know how to create a vNext build definition for .net desktop applications using PowerShell. A sample would be highly welcome.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base