Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Automatically fetch git repositories periodically

It would be great if Visual Studio followed VS Code in it's option to automatically fetch Git repositories periodically.

From VS Code documentation (https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/versioncontrol#_remotes)

"VS Code is able to periodically fetch changes from your remotes. This enables VS Code to show how many changes your local repository is ahead or behind the remote."

It's very useful for me when working in VS Code, and I'd love to see this feature in Visual Studio.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Remember previous work item in Team Explorer - Changes - Related Work Items

Currently we can associate a commit with a work item by typing in the ID but it would be very useful if this ID was able to be remembered for subsequent commits. If you follow the "commit early and often" mantra it amounts to a lot of extra steps. If you forget it could cause problems, or if you put in the wrong number. Retaining the number would help with these. I generally work on the same work item for a while so the chance of having the wrong number in there is low, or maybe it could be cleared…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide a way to copy the current branch name for a commit message

In VS2017 (15.7.2), it would be extremely helpful if when writing a commit message there was a way to copy the current branch name to the clipboard so that it could be pasted into the commit message (or even directly pasted into the message at the cursor).

It seems that this may be most appropriate to be added to the list down in the "Actions" menu (See screenshot).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add folders under "Git repositories" to group repos for management/organization

We have two dozen teams and dozens of projects. In TFSC we have the projects grouped by vertical. Having all the projects basically at the same level with no organization is a mess. Our only real option is to add a prefix to each repo so they group together alphabetically.

It would be great to have the ability to, on the "Git repositories" item under "Repositories", to have a "..." context menu item to create a folder. Then when a folder is selected, "New repository" would create the repo under that folder.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow filtering of work items search by whether they have links or Pull Requests attached

I'd like to be able to search work items and then filter the results by whether they have any PRs linked to them. This would be especially useful for seeing how similar bugs have been resolved in the past.

https://stackoverflow.microsoft.com/questions/96390/search-work-items-by-links-pull-requests/97275

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Be able to define sorting criteria (increase, decrease, none) for peekup list based on global list in TFS forms

By default it is sorted alphabetically. It would be nice to respect the order defined in the global list xml file.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Search in the Query result

If I open a Query to add a Related Work Item to a changeset in Visual Studio Team Explorer in the Pending Changes, there is now way to quick search (filter) the resulted list of tasks/items. I would use such a quick search everytime I am doing this, since I always know some keywords describing the changes. This feature would be very helpful!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Annotate as a background task

Annotate completely locks VS while active. On some files in our project, this request can lock up VS for minutes on end, on some older files.

Please make this an unobstrusive background task.. it already has a "pending" mechanism for history that is still loading. It just needs to actually happen in the background.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Let TFS (version control in general) end the code formatting wars

I've been looking for a tool that will allow the TFS server to format code on a get operation to the user's local preferences and also subsequently format the code to a canonical format on check-in (to minimize difference deltas).
    Note that a get operation in this instance would also ideally include getting the contents of a file for doing diffs and so on.

I looked everywhere for such a tool that would make all developers happy and end the nightmare of code formatting enforcement policies and I was baffled when I found none.

So we looked into creating our…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. How to change width of Workspace combo box in VS Source Control Explorer

Like this case here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/6d68b60e-1dfb-4f60-844d-839935b90418/how-to-change-width-of-workspace-combo-box-in-vs-source-control-explorer?forum=visualstudiogeneral

Can we change width of Workspace combo box in VS Source Control Explorer? So that we don't have to click the drop down option to view the name of the workspace.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Extend the Team Explorer

The Team Explorer for Git is awesome, but I wish it had more functionality. We should have the functionality to create and manage stashes (would go well on the Change tab, I think); checkout a commit (preferably on the history page); and squash commits without using the commandline (select commits to squash on the history page and select "Squash"). This last may be difficult, but the first two really would be life-savers when working with a team that discourages the use of the commandline for new Git users.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Use git mailmap for the Team Activity CodeLens

The Team Activity popup for CodeLens shows duplicate committer information if some committers have (accidentally) committed using multiple committer names and/or emails. It would be nice if CodeLens detected a git .mailmap file and used that to de-duplicate committers just like `git shortlog` does.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Provide possibility to use git from Path

There should be a way to start git from path to avoid having to configure multiple versions of git.
    Maybe something like this:

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. "merge tool" 3-way"

I would like to see a 3-way view in the VS built-in merge tool.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Have a "open in explorer" from the git changes list

Have a "open in explorer" from the git changes list

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Git in VSTS: Rename in an update of a file added in a pull request not properly visualized

If you have an existing file in the repository, then modify, commit and create a pull request, the first update shows up as just a diff of what's changed. If you then make modify, rename and commit, your Update 2 will also show up as a diff along with noting the rename.

However, if you create a new file and commit your first update shows each line of a file as being added (also correct), but if then you modify, rename and commit, your Update 2 shows up as each line of the file being added (not correct) and does…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. View History option during code review

In Code Review window, in context menu of a file, please add the "View History" option. Because sometimes to approve the code review, you need to inspect how the code used to be even before the previous version.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. visual studio merge tool, on change "set focus" should compare based on the focus

in visual studio, when a merge is ongoing, always the src and target windows is compared together and by changing the "set focus" only the scroll behavior will affected. but when the user change "set focus" the other two windows should compare against that windows. for example if i change focus to result windows. then the other two windows(source and target) should compare against the result and show the diff.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Synchronize workspace selected in Source Control Explorer and Team Explorer

I often work with both the Source Control Explorer and in the Pending Changes windows at the same time. Both of these windows allow you to select a different workspace! I have never had a requirement to have different workspaces in these two windows and always want them to show the SAME workspace. I often change the workspace in one and then perform an operation in the other window without realizing it's on a different workspace. It's a pain to have to change the workspace in two places when I want to switch to a different one.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base