Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Set author for repository based on user account used to connect to remote

Scenario: Connect to for instance one TFS project and clone a repository there with user account A. This sets up global repository settings to have the user name and e-mail match account A.

Now if you clone repository from different TFS server using different account, account B, all the fetch and push operations are authenticated with account B, but by default all the commits are signed as done with account A. The user needs to manually change per-repository settings to change the name and e-mail for commits, and this step is easily overlooked or forgotten, making it look like an…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show combined git branch history, including common ancestor

From the "Branches" view in "Team Explorer" for a git repository, allow the user to select multiple branches and invoke the "View History" command. This view would show the combined history of all of the selected branches, with separate colors, and with visual indication for the common ancestor.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. tfs undo unchanged files

Please add tfs undo unchanged files command.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Please support YAML builds on TFVC

As the title says please support yaml build definitions on TFVC repositories. Its where our code is and it would be great to have the build definition stored with the code. We would also get reuse of build definitions across branches.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Make git usable or understandable in Visual Studio.

Why is the pull button disabled?

Yes I know you need more info than that. I need a pull button that isn't disabled.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. tfs rest api

please extend TFS Rest API to Workspaces.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Display the first day (day 0) of a sprint on the sprint burn down chart

The sprint burn down chart shows one day less, the first day of the sprint is that day that doesn't appear on the burn down chart (not the last day).

Looking at the burn down chart below for a two weeks sprint, we can see that the sprint starts on the 16th of January and ends on the 29th of January we work 5 days a week and our weekend is on Friday and Saturday, so working days should be 10 working days (16, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29), but the chart only shows 9 working…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Automatically prettify json in code reviews

Automatically prettify json in code reviews

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Better progress when cloning repo

Better progress when cloning repo. This depot is 40k items and there is only a forever loop

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Extent tf.exe with branch /ConvertToBranch functionality for TFVC

Convert a folder to a branch in tfvc via the command line, this is missing since the tfs powertools functionality was included in VS.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow path filters to go across projects

We have many different Team Projects each with lots of code that uses code in other team projects to build. So lets say that I have projects A, B and C and a solution in Project A references code in Team Project B and C. So I want my CI build to trigger if anything is checked into any of the three projects. But when I go to Path Filters (in TFS), the highest I can go is the top of the current project. This used to be the case for GETting SOURCES, but you guys finally fixed that in…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. To create a possibility to use VSTS as a corporate group code repository and versioning Tool instead of personal/home use - Team accounts

We have a Team of developers and we're considering to use the VSTS instead of TFS.

We have multiple projects in our company and we want to be able to have the control over the source code and to monitor the development progress and changes in one place.

Unfortunately I see it right now VSTS is not able to support the the real group development because there is no way to use some dedicated Team account to login into VSTS and to create and manage the projects for the development Team. I get the information that using a dedicated Team…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. File rename should 'git mv'

When I rename a .cs file from Solution Explorer, sadly (a command-line run of) 'git status' says I have one deleted file and one untracked one. Then I have to manually xcopy the new back to the old and 'git mv -f'.
    An option to reflect the re-name in the source-control system would be nice.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Assign TFS label in History window -> Changesets tab

It would be nice to be able to set a label by right-clicking a row in History / Changesets tab.

Also it would be nice to see a label column in this tab.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Commit all changes in current branch if we try to chekout to other branch

If we make some changes in current branch "test", and not commit them localy, change the branch to "notTest", those changes are now considered as if they where made on this branch, if we try to commit this branch, changes will be applyed as if they were made on this branch.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Show the active branch I'm working on in the status bar.

I work in a shop where we create a lot of feature branches in a standard VSTS workflow. *Everyone* on my team struggles to check they're working on the correct branch in Visual Studio 2017.

Please can you show the branch that I'm working on for TFS, as well as git, in the way that VS Code currently does.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. edit commit - add work item

Currently it is not possible to add work item to edited commit.
    Expected it is possible to both edit commit comment and add work item to it (same as with new commit).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. change the source and target names in rebase operation to branch names

When doing a rebase you inevitably end up with conflicts. This means on the Team Explorer tab, you use the Resolve Conflict area. On that screen there is a list of files with conflicts and when you click on one of them, it expands to show you options like Merge etc. And at the bottom of that box it shows "Edited on Source | Diff | Take Source" and "Edited on Target | Diff | Take Target".

What the heck is Source and Target??? I can never remember which is which when I am doing a rebase. Why make me…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. New VSTS Pull Request from VS should send correct TargetRef to VSTS

New VSTS Pull Request from VS should send correct TargetRef to VSTS. VS knows what branch the branch was created from, so it should send that as TargetRef to VSTS.

Use case:

1. Use VS to create new branch branch2 from branch1
    2. Use VS to Push branch2 to remote
    3. Use VS to Make changes to branch2
    4. Use VS to push branch2 changes to remote
    5. Use VS to create pull request
    6. In VSTS web GUI, targetRef should be set to branch1, not repository default branch

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Replace Annotate with Time-Lapse view similar to Perforce Time-Lapse View

Annotate command has very limited functionality compared to Time-lapse view in Perforce.

It is much harder to make software archeology since I switched from Perforce to TFVC and Git.

https://www.perforce.com/video-tutorials/using-time-lapse-view

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base