Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Annotate previous version command for selected line in annotated view

I use Annotate command when I need to find changeset where some line was changed.

However, frequently I see the change not I am looking for and I need to search deeper.
    It means I need to annotate previous version.
    Moreover, this may repeat for some time.

Unfortunately, VS only has command Annotate this version and History.
    Therefore, I need to go to History, manually find changeset found by annotate, select previous changeset, annotate it and search the line of interest in a new window.

I suggest to add "Annotate previous version" command for selected line in annotated view, that…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add "git.autofetch" feature so that we can see how many commits is the origin branch ahead

I love the feature in VS Code, where I can see incoming commits in the status bar. Add it to Visual Studio 15+ as well.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Expose Document Formatting as an API/EXE (for git, etc)

Given that:
    Teams want to agree on a code style for the entire team
    Not everybody will remember to format their code before making a pull request

We need a way to export VS code format settings that are consumable by an API or EXE that checks if the code matches the format.

Why do we need this?
    More and more teams are moving to VS and Git. Many teams want to setup a git-hook such that when a team member pushes new code to the master branch, the code is automatically checked for formatting (with an error such as…

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Compile the .exes for Git Team Explorer with /DYNAMICBASE (ASLR)

Newer builds of Windows 10 allow users to force binaries to use certain exploit protections. I experimented with enabling these protections and the only problem I encountered was with Git in Visual Studio 2017. It is not possible to interact with Git from VS when Mandatory ASLR is enabled. All commands in "Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer\Git\usr\bin" fail with errors relating to unexpected memory addresses.

Shipping applications without ASLR, expecially those of the size and complexity of a shell, opens up an attack vector against users. Adding the basic protections of /DYNAMICBASE (not to mention more advanced ones, like CFG) would…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make correct translation for the VSO build agents

the (german language) messages that come up e.g. for the agent config.cmd are almost impossible to understand. whoever translated the messages did so without any understand of either the process or the german language or both.

well actually, it is possibile to understand what the message is trying to say. However, they still look "barely translated" and the original english version would certainly be easiert to understand.

I posted this as a bug here ( https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/181722/localized-messages-in-german-for-the-vso-build-age.html ) but was asked to post this as a suggestion instead.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Show outgoing commits on untracked branches

In the Team Explorer tab, in the Synchronization section, when you create a new branch and then create some commits, it doesn't show you those commits in the Outgoing Commits section.

If you are tracking a remote branch, it will show you what commits have not been pushed. I think it should also show them if there is not a remote tracking branch. I think the commits it should show would be equivalent to "git log origin..".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. In the pull request page (inline diff view), please let me copy the text of a deleted line.

When someone deletes a function or block of text in a pull request, I need to copy the text and put it in the search box to build some context around where the function was getting used. And I use inline diff view a lot, why do you block me from copying the text of a deleted line in PR :(

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Display the space occupied by the items in 'Staged Changes'

I would appreciate if the Changes page in Team Explorer (Git) displayed the number of MB the changes take up. Ideally say something like 'Staged Changes (50) (130 MB). This would be useful so I can estimate how long an upload would take or to know how much data it requires from my metered connection. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Internet explorer

remove the stupid internet explorer integration from visual studio and TFS so that i dont have to spend 3 hours trying to figure out why i still get Access denied to the server i am administrator on because windows 10 or god knows what broken tool you made cached my WRONG CREDENTIALS THAT IT MADE ITSELF on god knows where.
    internet explorer just fails, REMOVE it and save humanity. or spend the time and resources and fix it. im really tired of getting this on a genuine windows and visual studio enterprise version...
    this is way below you

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow Git commit and push while building

Visual Studio prohibits committing and pushing with Git while a build is in progress. However, those are safe things to do while building, because they don't change the source files that the build is using. The IDE should allow those operations while building.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Code Errors/Warnings for Pending Changes

I would like to have a new section in Team Explorer - Pending Changes, where all code Errors and Warnings in my changed code would be listed. This way people would make sure there are no Errors/Warnings in their changes before they do Check In.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Git Team Explorer file selection for commit

That you can in Git Team Explorer make commits on selected files only to make commits more especifics. Thanks

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Specifying reviewers as "required" when creating a Pull Request

I think it would be useful to be able to tick-off whether a given reviewer is required/optional when adding them manually to a Pull Request. Currently it seems required reviewers can only be added via policies.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Checkout commit from history window

The most basic request, really. I would like to be able to checkout commit from branch History window.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 0 how can we migrate builds from Teamcity to TFS [TFS 2017]

I need the solution how can we migrate the builds from TeamCity to TFS, is there any solution are I need to integrate.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. git automatically fetch after x seconds (e.g. like in VS code)

Like the feature in VS Code it would be perfect that VS2017 automatically update the list of remote branches every x seconds so the user can switch easily between the current branch und the shortly created remote branch without go to "sync" and make it manually.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Use --follow logic to track renames in git history

Currently Visual Studio do not show full file history in GIT if file was renamed (both in history view and code lens).
    It would be convenient, if VS will use same logic as git option --follow to track file renames.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Provide an MSSCCI version without a dependency on Team Explorer 2013

This has been asked for particular versions of Visual Studio already:
    - 2018 https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/11195841-update-the-msscci-provider-to-support-visual-studi and https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/13476654-msscci-provider-should-run-with-vs2015-without-n
    - 2017 https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/19510765-update-team-foundation-server-msscci-to-use-vs2017

This have been declined for the currently released versions of released Visual Studio.

Ideally we could have a version of MSSCCI that could be installed without a dependency on a Team Explorer client, and instead be released out-of-band of the Visual Studio release cycle.
    If this isn't possible, release a version of MSSCCI that is compatible with only installing Visual Studio vNext.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. changes work item git

Add the ability to connect an existing git repository to a TFS project in order to add the ability to assign workitems ine the team explorer - changes window without having to delete the current git repository and clone it inside visual studio.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Show Git commit message beyond first CRLF in the history

When looking at a Git repo's commit history, VS 2017 (v15.4.5) only shows text up to the first CRLF (or perhaps it's just the LF?) in the "Message" column. The same problem occurs in the tool-tip. More of the message needs to be shown.

For the history list, instead of stopping at the first new-line, it should just "eat" the new-lines and continue with its normal logic (I presume it displays up to a max length).

For the tool-tip popup, instead of stopping at the first new-line, it should render more, up to whatever the current max length is.

For…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base