Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Can't re-install VS2017 without re-downloading

I have re-installed my OS. I'm very disappointed that VS installer does not let me reinstall and check what files are missing of VS2017 'by a design'. I must choose empty folder or delete files inside VS2017 folder in order to install. My internet is slow and my dataplan is limited. Please do something for users with limited dataplan.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Phone emulation for bank 2 step verification

Some banks demand code verification via smartphone. I have only dumb phone and several Windows computers. Have not found an emulator what works. Google-app for my bank failed under BlueStacks android emulator.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Provide a link explaining how to provide feedback on reported problems

Whenever a question is asked and the response is to include some type of file to be produced, add a link that explains how to create the file. In my case, I was asked to supply a crash dump file for Visual Studio 2017. I don't know how it's created or where it is. Instructions would have been helpful so I wouldn't have to add another question on how to do it. I am sure that there are other scenarios that this could be applied to depending on the issue.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Restrict editing of past sprints work items or outdated work items in TFS

I need an option like restrict edit of work items in past sprints in TFS(on-prem). Once the sprint period over, it cannot be editable for particular user group. I've found an option in Iteration Security settings to restrict edit. But, it is not working. Please provide one solution for this issue.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I suggest you break this down into much smaller discrete installation packages. Far too complex.

All I am trying to do is to install the successor to the excellent Visual Web Developer Express which installed very quickly and did the job.
    I thought I was downloading a comparatively small Visual Studio Community and ended up with a 15gb behemoth that probably has every bell and whistle imaginable. Complete waste of time and space.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. stop breaking ******* everything every time you release an update. Visual studio sucks ****

stop breaking ******* everything every time you release an update. Visual studio is a buggy pile of trash

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Your help texts are impossible. I've just moved from Visual Studio 2010 to VS 2017 and I'm can't find the 'build style' functions. 2 hours!!

Please organize your help texts so we can find information that applies to specific versions of your products. It's like digging though a haystack looking for a needle. I just want to find the 'build style' function for Visual Studio 2017 (having moved from VS 2010). There's tons and tons of stuff out there, but no answer to the simple question, "How do you build a style in VS 2017?" Arrrrrrrrrrrg!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. As you are incapable of creating updates for Visual Studio that do no break existing feature, how about a simple roll back option

As you are incapable of creating updates for Visual Studio that do no break existing feature, how about a simple roll back option.
    Or create updates that introduce more bugs.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Group Suggestions Better

This suggestion is for the User Voice feedback. The interface and the available groupings, and search results, need to be easier to navigate.

Why?

Example 1. The idea "Group Suggestions Better" came up with something like 1500 results. Do you really think anyone has the time to read through all of those?

Why #2 - With no one reading through the 1500+ results, the likelihood that the majority topics will ever see of up-votes, is never.

Why #3 - With no up-votes, too many topics get "closed" because no one up-voted it, and us posting feedback here may feel like…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. shift + delete shortcut must remove the line NOT cutting it.

When you try to remove a line with shift + delete, the line was gone but it's in the clipboard. When you paste it, it will occurs again. I want remove that line not cut it. I could Ctrl + x if I want that behavior. Please fix this thanks.
    (I use VS2015)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. New Benefit for Visual Studio Dev Essentials: Safari Books online

To include a new benefit adding value in Visual Studio Dev Essentials: a free for two or three months subscription to Safari Books online: https://www.safaribooksonline.com/

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. give writing software because you are horrible. Have you ever heard of QA? Know anything about QA? Apparently not!

Find, train, beg, borrow, steal some qualify QA people. The ones you have now should not be reviewing their own children's homework.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Opera 12X with VPN Services

Base: Opera 12.16
    Opera 12X with VPN Services

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Opera 49 for Windows XP and highter

Opera 49 for Windows XP and highter

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Integrated console in VS IDE.

It is extremely useful in some applications ( CUDA C++11 ). Taking out hands from keyboard is time consuming. I've never seen an IDE with such wide support ( taking care about with so many things, there is not even single stuff working in a stable way ) - it is not better idea to abandon for example C#? In XXI century it is obvious that it will not give any advantages over ordinary well-developed, and well-deliberated C++17. Windows API is similar to YT:"The amazing Do Nothing Machine at the Museum of Craftsmanship", please get familiar with "ancient" C-written LINUX…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add Follow for reporting bugs like Developer Community in the Feedback window

Add Follow for reporting bugs like Developer Community in the Feedback window

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. keep itcmplx stem imptis.

complexity is king!

Whoneed simple?

Whyuse Msft vstdo help whenthey msft usses Gogale to show the nuwway to code...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. give pluralsight benefit

i don't know why you stopped pluralsight benefit. try to return it .

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base