Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Breaking the n-tier architecture bottleneck

This is a real game changer; the idea is allowing programmers to develop applications as a single logical unit that is stored and run from the server (or cloud).

There are logical objects on the server that represents UI and other equipment on the end device.

The result is a single logical object that include the whole application: design, events and business logic.

The development process become significantly easier because programmers are not required to separate front-end and backend any more.

It opens endless new abilities for developing powerful stuff that combine client and server resources (like MS-Access).

For me…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Consolidate the Tsunami Of Info So We Can Find What We Need

I posted a question to one of your Forums. Which one and where, I don't know now and you would think, or rather I would think that a link to it would come up the moment I log on, but it doesn't. Instead I got a wall of solicitous stuff that I'm encouraged to sign on for that I don't need or want. They say trying to get info off the internet is like trying to get a drink of water out of a fire hydrant. Trying to get started in Visual C Sharp, for me , has been like…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Report a Problem should report upload progress

When recording a complex problem with the report a problem tool, ETL traces can get up to gigabyte size which will be silently uploaded without progress notification so its hard to tell when you can turn off your PC or restart. Having a simple "12MB of 1GB uploaded" status would be sufficient.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. No proper help or explanation on any point

No proper help and example for any thing

For any explanation at the most one example and walk though available and that also 99% time for old version. Thousands and thousand of developer get similar problem and there is no proper example to solve doubt. If your so called paid devloper is not willing to develop example, I advice u to pay even 0.1$ to freelansers and they will come with thousands and thousands of new simple implementation examples. Don't you feel shame by using same 100 year old example of "Hello World" and show that walk-through is done!! I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. We want to see .net technology in the initiative of a million programmers In the Middle East

Hello
    There is a huge initiative THAT IS MAKING BUZZ these days launched by Dubai to teach a million programmers, why do Microsoft not seize the opportunity to teach Programming on the Dot Net in the Middle East and North Africa especially new programmers will be in favor of .Net Community, A million programmers it is not an easy number

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Visual Studio user voice shouldn't open in an Application Guard window

I honestly closed feedback earlier because this prevents me from uploading files to attach :( Please talk to the Edge team.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 微软犯下一个不可挽救的错误

为了让用户升级到windows 10,微软的做法是windows 10的UWP不能运行在windows 7或更低版本的系统平台。
    也就是说所有的用户需要升级到win10才行,但是有没有想过过去的各种应用都是运行在win7或更低版本系统中。但是大部分企业和个人用户都还在使用win7或更低版本的系统。
    另外UWP不能动态加载DLL,势必给企业级用户带来更大的成本,过去许多的应用大部分都是基于MFC或WPF做的,很多应用都有许许多多的动态库,难道都要重写吗,这些开发成本微软买单吗?或许微软会说我们可以用C++/CX包装一下,我只想说好样的!!!
    企业生存的目的是利润,而不是消耗更多的成本!
    从企业的角度来想想,开发了一款win10的UWP应用却只能运行在极少的机器中,从开发成本,用户量最基本的角度分析企业没有那么傻,如果UWP能运行在win7或更低版本的系统中,自然win10就会取代更低版本的系统。
    如果微软再不重新思考,我相信未来的桌面很有可能被Android所替代。

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. stop gathering peoples personal data

why do you gather so much personal data ?
    you dont' need any of it
    And it slows down ALL your annoying applications!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Best Free Directory Submission Site

Best Free Directory Submission Site
    hello friends thanks for reading this article. i just want to make you
    known about one of the best Free Directory Submission named http://directory.show
    which is one of the leading directory.
    let me share proccess of adding website in Free Directory Submission. before you add your
    site you need to create account there. then you need to verify your
    email address. after verifying your email address you may login with
    username and password . by doing this you have to click on submit url
    then add your website link, website name, website description, your
    site…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Reorganize your VS mission: First to serve and to inform are your VisualStudio customers!

As an MSDN subscriber, we sadly saw a tremendous decrease in productivity over the last year for those who tried to get involved into recent Technologies of .Net core etc.

We, your customers, feel that opening up to open source has led to a steep decay of quality: It is not easy to get many heterogenous Teams in linem and by opening to open source communities, you, Microsoft, give control over the ins and outs to externals.
    But: that was your decision. We expect you to still manage the product readiness of the core components.

And that is, where things…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Future-proof 'Visual Studio is installed' registry keys

The idea: When any Visual Studio runtime is installed, it could add to the registry a 'Visual Studio = installed' key, in the form of an integer that represents the version number. This key location should be common among all current and future installs, and should be set to match the highest version number of all the current runtime installs.

To solve this problem:
    When deploying software with a bundled vc_redist, part of the install process requires confirming that a more recent version of the runtime is not already installed. This is specifically the case when ensuring you are not…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Deployment template for Angular and Typescript inside Visual Studio

Visual studio needs a template that assists in the deployment of Angular and TypeScript files as well as other UI artefact files such as CSS and image files and of course HTML files.
    This could be based upon external tools such as Angular CLI or preferably Webpack or some tool that MS develops.
    But at the moment the bundling these artefacts into bundles so that the Angular 2/4 engine can use them is not working without much manipulation of settings and task runners.
    Ideally the bundling would happen when we run MSBuild so that we can use it in CI…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Button or Action to rollback all actions or view changes in timelane.

Button or Action to rollback all actions or view changes in timelane.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. new versions of Visual Studio looks amazing! and I thinked, why not an application with documentations, same a school class in local?

new versions of Visual Studio looks amazing! and I thinked, why not an application with documentations, same a school class in local?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow more flexibility to install the IDE at a custom directory of user's choice, thanks.

Allow more flexibility to install the IDE at a custom directory of user's choice, thanks.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Migrate issues reported on connect.microsoft.com to developercommunity.visualstudio.com

Given that connect.microsoft.com is no longer maintained seriously, I would suggest you migrate issues reported there to the new feedback site developercommunity.visualstudio.com.
    Otherwise, many important feedback items will be lost.
    In fact, many of the items on connect.microsoft.com are currently invisible for unknown reasons.

See also:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3135491/cannot-access-many-of-feedback-items-on-connect-microsoft-com

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add a Linker switch that would not update the lib file for a DLL if the exports don't change

We have a large solution with 12+ interdependent DLL projects. This made edit and re-build very slow (5 mins+) even with incremental linking. By building our own DLL exports checker, that only updated the 'lib' file when the exports changed we were able to get the build process down to seconds.
    If a linker switch was added to do this then the special build events would not be needed.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base