Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Open-source RDCMan

I'd love for Microsoft to open-source their Remote Desktop Connection Manager application. We use it extensively at our workplace and it would be great to work with the dev community to help further improve it

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Xamarin for earlier versions of visual like Visual studio 2012

support Xamarin for earlier versions of Visual Studio it's not fair to download 28 Go and you already have it installed and not necessary obligated to update to the new version 2017.. thanks

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. "Report a Problem": Back button after one could not send the report due to technical issues

I wanted to send a report, but did get the message:
    "Sorry, we couldn't send your report. Please retry now or sign out, sign in, and try again".
    I would be nice, if one has the option if that message comes up, to get back to the "description" to copy-paste the error report. Otherwise one has to do it allover.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. See am from 3rd world country, Please make an ISO for vs2017, we dont have stable network here

See please i take God beg una, create an ISO so we can use IDM to resume or pause download, if network gets bad.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Hi where Can I find VISUAL STUDIO 2015 REMOTE TOOLS??

Hi, where Can I find VISUAL STUDIO 2015 REMOTE TOOLS??

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. more fixes per update

Release Date: May 12, 2017 - Visual Studio 2017 version 15.2 (26430.06)

ONE fix for this update? why not wait a bit and release multiple fixes? updating my installation of VS for this one update seems like a...waste?

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. The method of issuing

The method of issuing the program is for several systems without having to work on another system

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Take a close look at the bugs found by PVS-Studio team

An interesting piece of news for the developers using Visual Studio 2017. PVS-Studio team checked Visual C++ libraries and wrote an article about the bugs they found in the source code. This article could be both informative and useful for reading. It gives recommendations about the code improvement and some tips, for example, about the correct usage of #pragma warning directive.

Read more - https://www.viva64.com/en/b/0502/

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. add Team chat in Visual StudioTeam Foundation :)

to easily communicate with the team.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Create an @Backlog item similar to @CurrentIteration than I can use to create queries for use by mutliple teams.

I have four teams, all working on the same project in different product areas. The work is sliced up using iterations, so each team has its own backlog iteration with sub-ordinate sprints. We have a specific sprint named 'Backlog' to improve filtering under each.
    @CurrentIteration is great for some things, but I want to create queries based on a teams backlog (such as all user stories not under the backlog iteration with a link to a risk item).

If I had an @Backlog term, I could create a query that would work for all teams, rather than having to create…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Consistently position dialog boxes across multiple monitors

As an example, if my team explorer is in a different position than the main Visual Studio window, and I undo changes from within Team Explorer, a window appears above Visual Studio (two monitors over) confirming I want to continue. Then a window appears above Team Explorer confirming the change for individual files.
    It would be nice for dialog boxes to appear in a consistent place.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Uservoice should not restrict number of votes.

Limit number of votes is a bad idea. Instead of express the opinion , is the idea sounds good for me, I have to think, how many votes I have left, should I remove my previous vote, is one suggestion more important than other, should I give more votes for my own idea or support other's idea, or should I create other fake account to have more votes. It forces users to compare apple with oranges. A person who concern about one thing, will put more votes in his idea, but people who over time are interesting in multiple issues,…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. [This document is opened by another project] - This issue always persists when using 1. VS 2017 community and 2. VS 2017 Enterprise .

When open same project with two different product license is opened at a time, you face problem like : [This document is opened by another project]

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Reduce the number of updates, weekly updates are far too often

Weekly or near weekly updates that require restarting every instance of visual studio is very disruptive to those of us that keep multiple solutions open. Minor updates aren't so bad, especially those that don't require restart but we've seen at least 3 or 4 updates that require closing all instances and keeping them closed for 10+ minutes while the installer applies an update - that's far too excessive

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add the ability for Microsoft Test Manager to handle Recording Transaction Dates

Add the ability for Microsoft Test Manager to handle recording parameters set as a date (ex. @transdate = 1/1/2017; 1/2/2017; 1/3/2017)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Open A Project If .props Files Are Missing

I recently posted this thread in the C++ forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/dacd0c24-a3a9-490a-b95a-ade88037b618/fixing-a-missing-props-file?forum=vsdebug#bcc6fd21-d8a9-4fa8-a800-d10ce822efdf

I built three .props files to streamline setting up applications. One provides include paths for every configuration, the other two describe library names and directory paths for debug and release X86 builds.

I reorganized these .props files, changing their locations and names.

When I tried to open the applications that depend on these .props files the IDE refused to open. The output did describe the problem.

The current solution is to edit the .vcxproj file. This seems unfriendly and potentially error prone.

This page...
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/669zx6zc.aspx
    says:

"We highly recommend that…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When adding existing item to project, it should...

When adding an existing item, it should copy the items to project instead of using same location. I usually import "cpp" files to project, and what I don't like about it is that it uses the same location that it has been imported from. Therefore, I can't use the project in another computer because it is looking for the location that is has been imported from. Can you please fix this?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add option "Use Visual Studio Development Server" back so ServerVariables work in development mode.

Restore the ability to use ServerVariables in debug mode. This worked in VS 2012 and it is very useful.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add Persian language to MSDN documentation

I am Irainian Microsoft fan , and C# developer.
    I was wondering when the MSDN supports 66 languages ,
    WHY it doesn't support Persian language with thousands of Persian developers ???
    I hope someday the .Net Team valorize it's persian developers.
    Thanks in advance.

Parsa Lotfi , C# Lover

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base