Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a new directory-based solution or project type

Visual Studio should support opening a directory and working with 'directory-based' projects using actual files on disk (no solution/project files, but instead Visual Studio can store project settings inside '.vs' hidden folder, similar to .idea in WebStorm / ItelliJ). The existing Website project type is not an option!

Visual Studio should support working with existing directory structures widely used in the front-end community. See project templates like 'angular-seed' or templates in 'yeoman' gallery. Developers should be able to work comfortably with these directory structures and actual files on disk, without any tweaks. Also it should have a first-class console window…

141 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    6 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Use PackageReference in vcxproj

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351636/use-packagereference-in-vcxproj.html
    Can you add support for the PackageReference markup from C++ and C++/CLI projects (.vcxproj)?

It would be more convenient than using a packages.config file.

Thanks!

116 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a custom solution import in Microsoft.Common.Targets

My request is to be able to put enterprise level logic in a msbuild target at a solution level rather than modifying every single .*proj file. This way I can modify one file in the solution directory and all projects which implement Microsoft.Common.Targets can set things like $(OutDir), Reference Paths, Analyzers, Nuget restores/updates or even Build server logic (Strongname signing, digital signuates, assembly versions). It would be priceless to enforce logic on a solution without relying on developers to install the custom target file into the right directory. Currently I do this by modifying all the projects to import a…

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Named Tabs

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351649/named-tabs.html
    What would be wonderful in Visual Studio would be the ability to create named sets of open tabs.

Scenario: I’m working on bug 101 and I have six tabs open. Suddenly I need to switch to another bug. I tap Tools->SaveTabs and name it Bug-101. I then close all the tabs and open the new tabs I need. Once done, I close all those tabs and click Tools->Restore Tabs -> Bug-101 and I’m back where I was, with all the right tabs open.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. VS2017 bring back Silverlight

Please bring back Silverlight in VS2017. Silverlight will be ended support until 2021. And there still some communities need to use Silverlight. Please bring it back.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/silverlight/en-US/4c3d85bc-a9a4-4199-a693-7bf4f46a60f8/for-skype-for-business-conversation-windows-extensions-development-should-we-continue-using?forum=silverlightnet

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow shared projects to be used outside of Universal Apps

The new shared projects released in VS 2013 Update 2 are great for Universal Apps, but would be just as great if they could be created and added as references in other scenarios. This would make code sharing much easier since it currently requires linked files and/or keeping all project files in the same folder as the source.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Provide first-class support for "traversal" projects

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351677/provide-first-class-support-for-traversal-projects.html
    When dealing with large code projects with hundreds or thousands of files, Visual Studio solution files are not an adequate "solution" (pun accidental).

Solution files are not easy to manage and check-in to source control. They are not easily human-readable and are not easy to edit and update as files change. Furthermore, a very large code base could end up having hundreds of solution files in hundreds of different folders, making it a maintenance nightmare to keep all the solution files up-to-date.

The…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show properties of NuGet packages in References

When using PackageReference in a project, if you view the properties of the added reference then nothing shows up. Using packages.json you can quickly view the version of a package being used along with the path. Additionally you could jump to the location where the package was stored in case you had assembly version questions (like for binding redirects). With PackageReference there is no packages.json to look at nor can you jump to the folder where the package is installed. Instead you have to build the app and then go look in the output directory.

Viewing the properties of a…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Managed Package Framework For Projects 2015

Managed Package Framework For Projects 2015 for the Visual Studio 2015 Based product line. Currently there is no way to create a custom project type in Visual Studio 2015.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Anthony Cangialosi
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

10. Support portable class library between Unity and .Net Core

I would like to create class libraries that are shared between Unity games and .Net Core server applications. As I see it now, there is no common platform and no way in VS 2017 to multi-target a project to support both Unity and .Net Core (there are other multi-target options, but not specifically those).

Here are the issues I see and a solution for any one would solve my problem
    - .Net Core supports .Net Standard, but Unity does not (yet)
    - Unity supports a subset of .Net 3.5, but .Net Core does not
    - No option in VS 2017…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Create a converter from any old csproj to new vs 2017 format

In my company we all loved the new csproj format that came with VS2017 and are currently working on porting all our stuff to the new format.

While Visual Studio does automatically port xproj/json projects from netcore preview versions, the old csproj files created by VS2015 etc are not automatically converted and have to be ported by hand.

It would be so cool if there was an option to convert any old project file to the new format.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. it be possible to log a bug/task via a slack channel and hastag combination to Visual Studio Team Services?

it be possible to log a bug/task via a slack channel and hastag combination to Visual Studio Team Services?

For example:
    #bug User experience/bug description

Or

#task task name/description

Description populates bug name/title up to character limit – this can be revised in editing

Description populates repro steps (??)

allocates a hyperlinked work item number and card message similar to the current bot message triggered when a new bug is logged.

Clicking the hyperlink would navigate to the work item in VSTS where the user can then populate the required/available fields per the normal process where a user can then…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Automatic background project reloading

When projects are modified outside Visual Studio (most commonly in Unity or in version control systems), a prompt occurs asking whether you want to reload. When you accept, it takes a little processing time and often switches your active tab. This is especially bothersome for Unity users, for which this occurs very often.

It would be great if:
    - The prompt could optionally be bypassed (e.g. checkbox for "Always Reload All")
    - The active tabs did not get changed
    - The reload occurred in the background (without the VS window focused) when the bypass is enabled.

These 3 very small…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Anthony Cangialosi

14. msbuild run targets within a project in parallel

Would make cl.exe /MP superfluous and allow parallel execution of things like Qt's moc and ui generation steps.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Include whole folder of source files In Visual Studio

Many of our embedded c++ projects are compiled for and debugged on the target platform and win32 (simulation). This requires us to use two different IDEs, in this case Visual Studio and a vendor customized eclipse.
    The eclipse based IDE uses a black list approach to source files, meaning that all files will be compiled, unless they are excluded.
    We would also like this behavior in VS, because else developers has to manually add them in VS as an extra step, when they are using the other IDE.

We have found one almost working solution:
    we edit the .vcxproj files…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Option to include folder (and subfolders, recursively) in solution, tracking file additions and removals

The way Solutions and Projects work in Visual Studio isn't really compatible with the branching features of a source control system.

Suppose I've cloned a repository of a library into a subfolder of my project, because I intend to use it as a library. I add all the files in the repo to the project, so they appear in the solution explorer view. Then, I switch to a beta branch of the repo that has some files added, some removed, and some moved. Now, my solution explorer view is out-of-date, and I need to go through the process of adding…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Stop replacing absolute file paths in csproj with relative ones

If I add a project reference or link to a file to compile then don't break the absolute path I manually put there with a relative one that breaks.

If the IDE adds it as a relative link then I'm ok with that as long as it respects my change if I choose to update the link. Or make it an option when the IDE generates the path.

VS2012. Please comment if it is fixed in vs 2013

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Anthony Cangialosi

18. Add an option to print what why msbuild decided to rebuild a file / project

I really wish we could get more insight into why Visual Studio thinks certain files are out of date or projects need to be rebuilt. It is really common for our builds (both automated, and on developer workstations) to decide to re-link all of the .dlls in our massive solution, upon triggering a build immediately after a successful build has completed. I suspect there is some header file with a date in the future, or one of our custom build steps is triggering some "always need to rebuild" rule. it would be incredibly helpful to have some way to diagnose…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)