Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow shared projects to be used outside of Universal Apps

The new shared projects released in VS 2013 Update 2 are great for Universal Apps, but would be just as great if they could be created and added as references in other scenarios. This would make code sharing much easier since it currently requires linked files and/or keeping all project files in the same folder as the source.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Stop replacing absolute file paths in csproj with relative ones

If I add a project reference or link to a file to compile then don't break the absolute path I manually put there with a relative one that breaks.

If the IDE adds it as a relative link then I'm ok with that as long as it respects my change if I choose to update the link. Or make it an option when the IDE generates the path.

VS2012. Please comment if it is fixed in vs 2013

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Anthony Cangialosi
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

3. Add a NuGet section into Add Reference dialog to show assemblies from installed packages

Add a NuGet section into Add Reference dialog to show there assemblies from installed packages.
    When you retarget a PCL library usually you need to reinstall NuGet packages to reference correct assemblies. Or if the target PCL profile differ for you PCL library and for your app you need to manually add correct reference from NuGet package folder. So you need to browse for it which is very annoying!

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Anthony Cangialosi
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

4. Organize project XML files to reduce 3-way merge conflicts

If the project XML file contents were simply ordered, for instance alphabetically like a default file system view, it would drastically reduce the number of merge conflicts that edits cause.

Currently we see items added at the same spot in the file (so there is SOME order happening) with no relation other than time, causing a merge conflict that's completely avoidable. If an order was applied, it would make most 3-way merges automatic and/or a lot less work.

990 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Identify and Nest Dependent Files in Solution Explorer using Right Click Menu

Identify and Nest Dependent Files in Solution Explorer using Right Click Menu.

Allow us to nest files in solution explorer without having to edit the csproj file. For example, we have 4 files that are breeze.*.js, and I like to nest them as dependent on breeze.js so they show up collapsed in solution explorer.

Currently we edit the csproj file to do this, and we also do it for css and for custom js. Another example:

repositories.js
    -- attendee.repository.js
    -- session.repository.js
    -- speaker.repository.js
    -- lookup.repository.js
    -- abstract.repository.js

For files like jQuery that have 4 or 5 dependent files this is…

405 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow Drag-Drop Project References between projects

It would be nice if we were able to just drag a reference from one project to the next.

387 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Reduce overall build time and provide better feedback on the progress in the UI.

Building currently completely blocks the UI, and no progress is shown. Just showing a responsive, non-blocking UI windows which shows progress and has a working cancel button would be a great addition.

1,976 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    47 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remove unused References

It would be great to have an option to remove all unused References from a project.
    Similar to [Organize Usings] > [Remove and Sort].

240 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add a Start Without Debugging option for individual projects within a solution

Add a Start Without Debugging option for individual projects within a solution. This should be located under the Debug context menu item under the project node within Solution Explorer and optionally all debug/run functionality should also be included under the main application's Project menu for easier keyboard access and for consistency.

271 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make Solutions Load Faster

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351002/make-solutions-load-faster.html
    Larger solutions can take a long time to load. Make it faster, so I can get started on my work right away.

1,536 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

(Update 10/18)
    Hello again,

I’m Will Buik, a Technical Product Manager on Visual Studio’s IDE team and I am back with an update. We have added an experimental feature to Visual Studio “15” Preview 5 that improves the time it takes to load Solutions. The feature is disabled by default, but you can turn it on through Tools→Options, “Projects and Solutions”→General→“Lightweight Solution load.”

We would love to hear your feedback about how lightweight Solution load works for you. If you are interested in participating in a quick user study to give us some feedback about the feature please fill out this brief survey: https://aka.ms/w2kt3j. We will reach out to you soon.

If you are interested in learning more about lightweight Solution load, check out the VS Blog: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/10/11/shorter-solution-load-time-in-visual-studio-15/
    You can download Visual Studio “15” Preview 5 here – https://www.visualstudio.com/visual-studio-pre-release-downloads/

Thanks everyone, we look forward to your feedback.
    -Will

11. Save default project(s) in the .sln file

As per http://stackoverflow.com/questions/694730/why-is-set-as-startup-option-stored-in-the-sou-file-and-not-the-sln-file/1808264#1808264 , store the Startup Project(s) selected in the IDE in the .sln file, but allow them to be overridden by Startup Project(s) stored in the .suo file.

391 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. XML format of solutions files (.sln)

Current format of solutions (.sln) files is very complex and is not XML. Current format prevents to make the merge operations and various automation actions. Visual Studio solutions files must be in recognized XML format (like MSBuild files).

509 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 6 7 8 10 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base