Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add support for link shared files in shared project

Please add function to link a file file in a shared project like is actually possible in normal projects.
    This function is already supported with manual editing a .projitems file:

myFile.cs

493 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for Gradle-based solutions

Sometimes using MSBuild Projects is very painful (especially with cross-platform projects). That's why my idea is to support Gradle projects natively by Visual Studio. Despite Gradle having tasks to generate MSBuild projects, loading them is very, very painful.

At this moment, I think that all of you will agree, Visual Studio is THE BEST IDE available. That's why I don't want to abandon it. Gradle support could help with that.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Anthony Cangialosi
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

3. Add a custom solution import in Microsoft.Common.Targets

My request is to be able to put enterprise level logic in a msbuild target at a solution level rather than modifying every single .*proj file. This way I can modify one file in the solution directory and all projects which implement Microsoft.Common.Targets can set things like $(OutDir), Reference Paths, Analyzers, Nuget restores/updates or even Build server logic (Strongname signing, digital signuates, assembly versions). It would be priceless to enforce logic on a solution without relying on developers to install the custom target file into the right directory. Currently I do this by modifying all the projects to import a…

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add an "open folder" option

Add the ability to open a folder, as you can in Visual Studio Code. This will make it easier to work with NodeJS and other JS projects.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Anthony Cangialosi

5. Add "Open folder" type project to a solution

I really like the new "Open folder" capability that is in the VS 15 preview. Please make that a project type that can be added to a solution. We have a project that consists of a couple of backend WebApi services, but the front end is a static web site that uses Gulp as a build system. The ability to add a project that is based on the "Open Folder" capability in VS 15 would make that solution much easier to work with. Today, we need to make it a bare-bones MVC project and ignore the build output.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Anthony Cangialosi

6. Provide support for "scratch" projects

I create on average 2 projects a week that are used for one-offs: researching a fine detail, demonstrating a problem, answering a question on StackOverflow, etc. After I am done with them, these projects are unimportant and can be deleted or completely rewritten since the important code will have been moved out. I have a dedicated space on my filesystem for these temporary projects, but I don't always bother cleaning it up, and because of the large number of projects (temporary and otherwise) that I work with, navigation to and from these projects isn't always a simple task, especially since…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Anthony Cangialosi

7. Improve shared projects with global view

Shared projects are very useful, not only for universal apps development but also to share code between different apps/platforms, for example : Xamarin projects, code sharing between windows 8.1 and windows 10 projects or between to similar apps (6tag and 6sec for example), etc...

But we can perhaps improve it, with a new way to show all files from a project, including files from shared project. See my illustration

540 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add shared projects reference to other shared projects

It would be very convenient to add inside shared projects reference to other shared projects, in that way you can group shared project and add only one reference instead group of shared project references.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Anthony Cangialosi

9. Automatic background project reloading

When projects are modified outside Visual Studio (most commonly in Unity or in version control systems), a prompt occurs asking whether you want to reload. When you accept, it takes a little processing time and often switches your active tab. This is especially bothersome for Unity users, for which this occurs very often.

It would be great if:
    - The prompt could optionally be bypassed (e.g. checkbox for "Always Reload All")
    - The active tabs did not get changed
    - The reload occurred in the background (without the VS window focused) when the bypass is enabled.

These 3 very small…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Anthony Cangialosi

10. Better Reference management in VS projects

1. VS project can not manage non-direct project references
    If one project use another project that use some library this library should be copied in to bin

2. Mark some references as "Provided". Meaning that they will be provided in target system. This will help NuGet to understand that these dlls should not be included in package

Just look how Java projects manage dependencies and you underctand how far VS behind

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Anthony Cangialosi

11. add custom tool support to shared projects

Both VS 2013 U4 and VS 2015 Preview does not seem to support custom tools in shared projects. That makes it impossible to use shared projects with many useful single file generators, including those shipped with Visual Studio (RESX, T4 Templates, etc.).

In our usecase we would like to use shared projects for shared data models. Normally these data models are specified in our schema DSL and we have MsBuild tasks that generate necessary source code. This approach is not applicable to shared projects because they are never built, however we could do the same with custom tool (single file…

144 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Managed Package Framework For Projects 2015

Managed Package Framework For Projects 2015 for the Visual Studio 2015 Based product line. Currently there is no way to create a custom project type in Visual Studio 2015.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Anthony Cangialosi

13. Allow shared project in the same directory as the C# projects that use it

If you have a C# project that references a shared project in the same directory, Visual Studio gives a warning: "The file '...' could not be added to the project. Cannot add a link to the file ... This file is within the project directory tree."

This is a very natural way to use shared projects; it would be great if this were a supported scenario.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1393180/c-project-in-same-directory-as-shared-project-generates-warning

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Anthony Cangialosi

14. Add Yeoman generators as a "New Project" source

Use Yeoman generators as a project creation type.
    1. File\New\Project
    2. Templates - Yeoman template
    3. Select a template and it runs the Yeoman script for you and builds a solution a project around it.

Current workaround is running Yeoman from the command line and then creating a blank project (or when I am doing a Cordova project creating a Cordova project and then doing a bunch of copy and paste to get the Yeoman project in the VS project).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Anthony Cangialosi

15. Stop putting VS Version number in .sln file

Baking the VS Version number, especially when it's functionally insignificant like between Updates & CTPs of the same VS edition, causes nothing but headaches for teams with SCC.

Please stop doing this. If the schema of the SLN file changes in a way that's significant, use schema versioning or naming to handle it instead of baking the software version that last touched it in to the file.

145 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add a solution of solutions for very large codebases

I have recently worked on projects which are comprised of up to 15 different Visual Studio solutions which can lead to having 15 instances of VS open at the same time! This gets extremely confusing. However, as each solution is a black box to the others the structure makes sense, but once built they combine to form one deployable application platform.

A solution to this could be a "super solution" or "ecosystem" which would be a solution for the solutions. The root of Solution Explorer would be the "Ecosystem" with child solutions. Unlike projects the child solutions should *not* be…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Anthony Cangialosi

17. The Configuration Manager should be revisited

The "Configuration Manager" window should be redesigned. It was OK few years ago when we had just "Debug" and "Release" and only 2 "CPU architecture". But since we now have a bunch of targets and CPU architecture and we need to check all permutations of the 2 drop boxes to make sure everything is ok... it's very painful.

Please find a way to improve the performance of this window and to better visualise which project is compiled in which configuration / platform. Maybe a kind of big matrix would be useful there...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Anthony Cangialosi

18. Make the Solution Configurations Dropdown larger

I have created 3 Configurations:
    "DESENVOLVIMENTO-A"
    "DESENVOLVIMENTO-B"
    "DESENVOLVIMENTO-C"
    and the DropDown size only show "DESENV" wich is a problem since i never get sure what is the one choosed.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Anthony Cangialosi

19. Add a new directory-based solution or project type

Visual Studio should support opening a directory and working with 'directory-based' projects using actual files on disk (no solution/project files, but instead Visual Studio can store project settings inside '.vs' hidden folder, similar to .idea in WebStorm / ItelliJ). The existing Website project type is not an option!

Visual Studio should support working with existing directory structures widely used in the front-end community. See project templates like 'angular-seed' or templates in 'yeoman' gallery. Developers should be able to work comfortably with these directory structures and actual files on disk, without any tweaks. Also it should have a first-class console window…

141 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow shared projects to be used outside of Universal Apps

The new shared projects released in VS 2013 Update 2 are great for Universal Apps, but would be just as great if they could be created and added as references in other scenarios. This would make code sharing much easier since it currently requires linked files and/or keeping all project files in the same folder as the source.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base