Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring back MSDN help library during Visual Studio 2017 setup

Bring back MSDN help library during Visual Studio 2017 setup.You had this neat feature in VS 2008(see attachments)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a persona for ETL developers in both installation and first time start up Visual Studio. For dedicated SSIS developers.

Tools are available, and you have documents on how to get what is needed, but not since BIDS has the ETL developer gotten the attention they deserve as a persona.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Скачка и установка

Иметь возможность разделить процесс загрузки и установки обновлений.

На данный момент я не могу работать, так как происходит скачка и установка обновлений. Проблема возникает из-за медленной скорости закачки. И пока всё не загрузиться, работать нет возможности.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Referring 2 "Visual Studio 2017 Product Family System Requirements" I suggest there be a button I press, it tells ok or no for the install

Pressing the "test system compatibility button" that should be at the top of the system requirements page would let you know about any problems with a potential install.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Show the programmatic feature ids inside the VS installer

It would be great if the visual studio installer could show the ids for each individual feature we can install. Human readable name & description are great but ids would help when following tutorial and articles.

(Ids are the arguments to the command-line --add parameter, like Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.CoreEditor for example)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Include vstest runner with Visual Studio Build Tools 2017

Include the vstest console runner with VS 2017 Build Tools. Currently you have to install "test agent" to get this functionality, which seems very hacky.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Калькулятор цен.

Мне и не только необходимо знать цены на устанавливаемые продукты в установщике Visual Studio. Я бы знал сколько денег готовить по окончанию пробного периода. Я установил версию продукта бесплатную для указанных категорий пользователей и условий использования продукта. Я давно не занимался программированием, пользовался Fortran, Бейсиком. Хочется сделать инструмент для работы себе, поскольку аналогичные продукты стоят огромных денег (MicroCap,....). Полезность результатов моей работы для других людей сомнительна пока. Конкуренцию составить производителям подобных программ не смогу. Платить за устанавливаемый продукт много не имею возможности.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. ... a way to update single components

I have limited storage space left and apparently many components are to be updated. Only one is critical to my work (CMake), but I can't update it without updating the whole suite, which exceeds my free space (requires 6GiB, have 3GiB). Would've been nice to selectively update CMake for the moment, so that i could work on my project now.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add search to the Visual Studio Installer's 'Individual Components' page

The number of entries in the 'Individual components' section of the Visual Studio installer is such that it would be useful to have some sort of search/filter functionality. I'm thinking something very similar to the experience you get in the Windows 10 Control Panel's 'Apps & features' page.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Background installation

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351687/background-installation.html
    Install the update in two phases.

Phase 1: The long running download phase which can take a long time depending upon the bandwidth restricting the user from using the IDE. So, why not do it in the background.

Phase 2: Once files are downloaded on the disk, now close all the instances of Visual Studio and install it from the disk.

(Also see the attached picture to get the idea)

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. "Build Tools" Should NOT require a seperate installer stub to install

Microsoft Visual C++ Build Tools workflow is NOT install-able with vs_community.exe but requires a separate vs_buildtools.exe

However, both these executable install and launch the same installer! They just give you different workflows to choose from (with similar names) I wasted 2 days and 11 gigs of downloading before I realized what my problem was downloading the wrong tools and having my 3rd party library installers continually fail imploring me to install the build tools. They both launch the same installer, why not combine them and just list all the workflows instead of splitting it up!? I love that I don't…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Provide an estimate of time it should take to update Visual Studio BEFORE it started

Provide an estimate of time it should take to update Visual Studio BEFORE it started. Just thought I needed an update to compile a project. It turns out I am waiting for VS to complete the update much longer than I had allowed for it. My parking spot expires and I cannot complete what I have started. I whish I knew the update would take so long before I started it! I would not start the update then.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Provide permalink URLs for installing Visual Studio tools

Projects which use the MSVC compiler and other tools often provide instructions to their users to install the necessary Visual Studio Build tools. For example: https://wiki.python.org/moin/WindowsCompilers or https://rustup.rs/ which recommend users install Visual Studio 2015 Build Tools from https://landinghub.visualstudio.com/visual-cpp-build-tools, a URL which no longer functions.

For build or installation instructions it would be nice to have a stable permalink URL to point users to Visual Studio Build tools. I believe that https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=840931 may be it, but it would be nice to tell people where to go to prevent broken urls in the future.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Keep the user entertained while waiting for some unspecified but incredibly long time for build tools 2017 to install.

Keep the user entertained while waiting for some unspecified but incredibly long time for build tools 2017 to install. Maybe a running clock and ETA?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Clarify wording on edition entitlement on Visual Studio installer

My MSDN level gives me access to VS Professional, which I have been happily running for the past couple of versions. On the installer app I saw that VS Enterprise was also available but I thought I wasn't entitled to this so I ignored it. However the other day I got a notification within VS itself that the Enterprise version was available to me so I decided to swap out my Prof to the Ent level. Because I was specifically notified about installing Ent and that there was no mention of it being a trial version I assumed I had…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Separate Downloading and Installation

In visual studio installer, downloading and installation at the same time makes downloading slow. The downloading must be done at once and then Installation. This process is too much time taking.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Enable option to remove all trace of VS to enable a ****** install

Communicate on the page where you download VS2017 the command line option to remove all trace of a VS2017 install so it is possible to install VS as new. I suggest as well as posting the log files you post the registry hive, as after the install it seems to think VS is not installed! Needless to say I have to warn my developers to to accept the new upgrade.
    Because with your latest update I can remove it I can reinstall it, and looking at recent posts you dont even monitor this site

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Demora nos processos de Download e Instalação

Estou tentando fazer o download e instalação do Visual Studio Community 2017 e hoje é o 15º dia que ele está ainda realizando os processos

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base