Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Would be great that the isolated shell setup follow each update releases

The VS2013 isolated shell setup was under 200 MB and that was just perfect. But then come updates. That setup never follows those updates like other editions. The last update 5 require 6 GB and there is no way to target only the isolated shell.

It would be really appreciate in the future to:
    - have a new setup of the isolated shell with every update release
    - or have update setup to target only the shell without installing extra components.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please make the update process simpler.

Wow it's painful installing updates. I get my little flag that tells me I have 3 updates. I select one to install. It downloads. I shut down Visual Studio. It installs. I restart visual studio. Now I have 5 updates to install. I go round the loop again for the next install & when I restart Visual studio I now have 8 installs. I've got 2 PCs I regularly use visual studio on and this process is a pain in the proverbial posterior.

Please change it so that I can select all the installs I want. Click a button then…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Enable installation of web dev tools

Update VS2015 Pro so that I can actually install web development tools. This would enable me to develop web applications. As it is now, I keep getting error messages about missing or damaged installation packages. Even if I download and install those .msi files, the error messages persist. Fresh installs fail. Modified installs fail. Repairs fail. Troubleshooting tips fails. I just want to build a website.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make an easy way to add prerequisite to be published. Currently the latest prerequisites to be deployed are not a given option.

We need an easy way to add prerequisites to be published with an application Setup. Currently, the latest prerequisites to be deployed are not a given option for me. For example LocalDB 2012 is the on prerequisite option yet LocalDB 2014 is the release that I am using, but there is no way to add it as a prerequisite to be bundled with my application.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Fix a bug in the Visual Studio installer for Windows 10. If you do not have system recovery enabled, the installer quietly keeps spinning.

Fix a bug in the Visual Studio installer for Windows 10. If you do not have system recovery enabled, the installer quietly keeps spinning. It should abort and display an error message, or prompt the user to enable system recovery, or provide an option to proceed without a restore point, etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. select multiple updates at once

I want to select multiple updates and install them without multiple restarts of Visual Studio.
    Multiple restarts of visual studio is ver annoying.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Fast Uninstall

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351094/fast-uninstall.html
    Visual Studio 2015 sure is slow to uninstall. I think you should make it a little faster to uninstall. I tried to uninstall it because of an error, I decided to install it again. But it took so long to uninstall so I just stopped uninstalling it. Yeah.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. In Dev15 we have a new installer and one of our goals is to improve the install and uninstall performance. Please try out the preview releases and give us your feedback. The latest preview release at this moment in time is Preview 4:
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/08/22/visual-studio-15-preview-4/

Angelos Petropoulos | Visual Studio Team

8. Add installation percentage (numeric) to Visual Studio installer

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351092/add-installation-percentage-numeric-to-visual-stud.html
    This vote is to bring numeric text showing progress of installer rather than just progress bar. One of the irritating behaviors of VS 2015 installer is that it may download updated components (like new Windows 10 SDK) without even giving you notification or option to go with local version or update it during installation process.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Create Download Scripts instead of online installer packages (Like vs2015 installer)!

there is no value added IT and no manageability and/or USER EXPERIENCE in online installer packages.

What we need is a simple FTP server and a download manager because:
    1- you can Schedule/Automatic downloads (On High traffic or slow links or ...)
    2- you can pause download or change a downloads' priorities (maybe something more important has come up)
    3- you can save files where ever you want (not just installer cache, maybe different products have same prerequisites)
    4- you can see actual download progress and the total size of files in bytes (and an estimation of how long it…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Too Many Extensions on Install

I routinely have to remove extensions from a VS install even when I don't ask for them in the install.

I don't do Azure development and yet there are half a dozen of them there, some of which I can't uninstall. Shouldn't this be an opt-in?

Didn't check Powershell development and yet there's extension in there.

SQL? Please give me an option to install without SQL anything in it.

Don't get me wrong, I love extensions (even wrote one myself) but don't shotgun them in there without asking.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Could you provide the offline package of Windows 10 SDK?

My home network is behind provider's proxy, which consistently gives me the hash incorrect error when I install the Visual Studio 2015 or any updates. I was trying to download the standalone Windows 10 SDK, but the same error occur because my home network is behind provider's proxy. Everytime I was trying to update the VS2015, I turned to the internet and ask for offline Win 10 SDK packages, but not everytime my request was responded. Could you possibly provide the alternative offline Windows 10 SDK package, so that the people like me could easily install your VS 2015 or…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. make VisualStudio installation not dependent on server service

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351421/make-visualstudio-installation-not-dependent-on-se.html
    If Server service is disabled VS 2015 Community Edition fails to install SDK for UWA 10.0 embedded in Installation.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. VS2015 Community should have a Minimal C/C++ option

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351091/vs2015-community-should-have-a-minimal-cc-option.html
    VS2015 Community should have a Minimal C/C++ option that just installs the basic IDE, compiler, git/github and nuget for grabbing libraries and includes.

I don't want or need the azure framework or all the other stuff.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks so much for your feedback. You’ll be pleased to know that we’re working on creating a much more lightweight installation option, as described here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/04/01/faster-leaner-visual-studio-installer/

As part of this work, we’re creating C++ workloads tuned for different needs, with the first one included in VS “15” Preview.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

14. Visual Studio as a Windows' Native Program and a Mobile Version for Windows Mobile, Android and iOS

Why don't you(Microsoft) make the Visual Studio as a Native Windows' Program as the Visual C++ Redistributable packages drivers and Why don't you develop a Visual Studio's Mobile Version for Beginner developers for Windows Mobile, iOS and Android?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Show the status while performing setup

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351088/show-the-status-while-performing-setup.html
    Please include a progress bar with value and estimation of time to be elapsed in the installation

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Provide standalone update tool

There are many updates that require Visual Studio to be closed to prevent reboots etc, it would be nice to have a standalone Visual Studio update tool that would list the various updates just like the update window within Visual Studio itself and from which you can start the updates.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Provide VS Product Install/Setup Info Inside VS

I didn't install the cross platform or windows phone sdk options during inital installation because of tight storage space on my dev pc. MSFT and others are suggesting to use Secret Manager for environment config variables for app secrets. Looks DNX is a part of the cross platform so I would need to have that installed, but I skipped this. It would be nice to see what my install/config selections are within VS verse having to run the installer process again. I just want (a) dashboard to show what was/was not selected in setup; (b) an option inside VS to…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Stop installing a bunch of SQL server stuff

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351404/stop-installing-a-bunch-of-sql-server-stuff.html
    I don't do any SQL development. I didn't even check anything web development related, so we can't blame this on ASP.NET --- I did C++ and Windows 10 SDK only. And yet I get this?

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make the Visual Studio installer more customizable (more than VS 2015)

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351401/make-the-visual-studio-installer-more-customizable.html
    Let the user choose whether to install or not features such a Visual Basic or C#, and for which platform to develop. Although Visual Studio 2015 brought a good improvement in the setup process choices (hence the "Make the Visual Studio installer more customizable" idea, voted 1715 times, recently marked as completed) there is still a lot of room to do better. The Visual Studio 6 granularity was just perfect, why now there are so few choices? Why do users need to install…

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Don't show specific updates if they are included in a package update.

The notification's tab tends to show all available updates, even if one of them is, say Visual Studio 2013 update 4, including SQL updates that were also in the notifications tab.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base