Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remove the need to write to the runonce registry setting when installing

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351145/remove-the-need-to-write-to-the-runonce-registry-s.html
    Some organizations have anti-virus rules that dis-allows writing to the runonce registry setting. This inhibits the installation of VS, RM Client or even TFS at time.
    It may be a nice to have the installer restart after a possible reboot, but getting access denied errors should not stop the installation.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, Niel. It’s a good one, and we’ve added it to the backlog. We do have tasks that require a reboot and then post-installation steps (for example, adding an emulator VM to a machine without Hyper-V enabled), but we should be able to enable a manual setup resume after a reboot for those environments where this can’t be automatically set.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

2. Add more detail to Visual Studio installation choices

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351063/add-more-detail-to-visual-studio-installation-choi.html
    Visual Studio installations even up to 2003 were very granular and allowed developers to select exactly what they wanted on their systems. However, since around 2008, Visual Studio installers have been non-permissive and installs pretty much everything in the bundle whether or not someone wants the features. The install / studio also opens up a whole bunch of ports in the Firewall, without even asking if the user is interested in those features (consider Remote Debugging).

Bring back granularity in the Visual Studio…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 2,954 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    111 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I wanted to update the status to make sure you know that we hear you. This isn’t straightforward to deliver for obvious reasons: Visual Studio installs a disparate variety of tools, runtimes and SDKs, many of which come from third parties or other parts of Microsoft. We recognize that developers would love to see something lighter and while we have nothing new to announce at this stage, we are spending a lot of time thinking about how we can improve Visual Studio installation.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

4. Make F# an optional install

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351132/make-f-an-optional-install.html
    I would like to able to use Visual Studio without F#. I don't like how recent VStudios have reduced the ability to optionally install features. The reason for posting this bug is the spam to update F# to 3.1.1 in VS2013, and I will never use it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Reduce amount of programs added to Programs and Features

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351027/reduce-amount-of-programs-added-to-programs-and-fe.html
    It has always bugged me that when installing Visual Studio there are 40+ items added to the Programs and Features list in Windows.

While I understand that some are necessarily standalone programs (like all the different runtimes), there are many Visual Studio components added that are _only_ there for Visual Studio.

Examples include Service Packs, “Macro Tools”, “Prequisites” and especially all the language pack related items.

Looking at other products, like Office, you should be perfectly fine by combining everything into a single…

105 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re making real progress against this area – slowly but surely. If you haven’t seen Visual Studio 2017 RC (or later) yet, check it out at http://visualstudio.com. We are eradicating many of the separate items that come from Microsoft, although we will continue to list third-party dependencies individually (for example, if I used the Visual Studio installer to get the Android SDK, we presume you might want to be able to uninstall that without relying on Visual Studio).

Let us know what you think… Thanks for the feedback, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

6. Allow users to install entirely to another hard drive

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351124/allow-users-to-install-entirely-to-another-hard-dr.html
    Allow a user to install *all* of Visual Studio to a drive other than the system drive. I have a very small SSD and find it infuriating that Visual Studio can only install a third to my mechanical drive and must install 4GB to my system drive.

937 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    66 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We expect to make significant progress on this front in the upcoming release. There are some components which must be installed to the system drive for various reasons – for example, Windows hotfixes and .NET Framework releases. But we think we will be able to do a better job of honoring the chosen location in the next release.

To give some transparency into the design process, one interesting wrinkle to this problem is third-party components that we install. If you choose to install Visual Studio to (say) D:\VS, where should we install something like Git for Windows or the Android SDK (if you select those components)? Should we install them into a subdirectory of D:\VS, even though other apps may use them? And should we attempt to secure the directory? C:\Program Files is only writeable by admin users, which presents a security boundary to rogue apps. Tough choices…

Thanks,…

1 2 34 35 36 38 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base