Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Let Visual Studio Installer first download and then install packages.

It would be cool if you let Visual Studio Installer first download all the packages needed for an Update and then install them. This would make it possible to work with Visual Studio while the packages are downloaded.
    The point is if there is a huge update with about 125 packages, users must break there work for about 2 hours or more (depending of the Internet connection, of course) till all the packages are downloaded and installed.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Set it up like a p2p download so that it always picks up where it left off when you lose connection.

I live deep in the mountains and I don't have a reliable fast internet connection. Today when I closed my laptop it went into hibernation and when I started it back up the download started over. at this rate I'm never going be able to get this 50 gig download installed. I also noticed that when I paused it and then resumed it; it started over. But p2p software would of just picked back up where it left off and once it was done then install it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Have command line installer determine if install modify or update is needed

Currently you must know the state of the VS2017 install before attempting to install update or modify the installation. This seems like something that the installer would be able to figure out instead of having to script out logic to track what is installed externally

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. to make it easier

make it easier

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Visual Studio Setup Installation should provide 3rd party locations

The Visual Studio 2017 installer now show the "Installation locations" which are definitely good.
    My wish is to show in that list also the 3rd party SDKs and tools that were installed by mean of Visual Studio like Android SDK, emulator, SDK-manager, etc.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. resume breakpoints to download

strongly recommend that u support for HTTP and resume breakpoints to download

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Bandwidth management and scheduled updates.

Hi There,

I have said this before - but I really like the installer. Some of the updates are pretty big, and we have a number of developers. the model of operation for this then makes me think that we should be managing the process through WSUS, or by scheduled download after office hours, or possibly just allow us to directly restrict bandwidth on the download.

Kind regards,

Stuart.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. It took longer to finish up than the actual install.

Visual Studio installer - Problem is it's says it's 100% and just sitting there with no feedback. I almost killed it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Installer should offer retry or simple reinstall instead of requiring disruptive repair

When upgrading Visual Studio I often had it fail to install various packages due to access denied. The culprit is most often a (leaked) still-open handle from Explorer, but there can be other reasons. In that case a simple retry either immediately or for the whole upgrade would easily solve the problem.

Instead the installer says it completed the upgrade albeit with warnings. It might work fine, or the installation might be totally hosed. The only option in this case is to repair Visual Studio which is totally overkill:

1.) It redownloads each and every package again even though they…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. let visual studio 2017 works offline without Stu+id expire and sign in impossible offline ?

let visual studio 2017 works offline without Stu+id expire and sign in impossible offline ?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Visual Studio Installer in German Localization: Reserve more width for "Downloading" label

So I already got 470MB of 7,... what? surprise, surprise... 7 GB? 7 TB? 7 PB?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Roll Back Visual Studio Version

I would like the ability to roll-back or switch between different versions of Visual Studio from the VS Installer. Eg anywhere between VS 2017 v15.3, 15.4, 15.6, 15.7.

I'm a little apprehensive every time I do a major Visual Studio update. I have to do a full-metal backup on my DEV machine before I do any VS updates. I've been stung badly in the past when some VS update breaks something.

It would make things a lot easier if we could roll between versions in case an update just doesn't work for some reason and we'd like to rollback.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. about VS installer

It's best to support breakpoint succession.Once I pause it, it has to be downloaded from the beginning

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add "--wait" argument to vs_installer.exe

All of the specific installers (such as vs_BuildTools.exe) have a --wait argument, but vs_installer.exe and vs_installershell.exe do not. Please add --wait functionality to vs_installer.exe and vs_installershell.exe

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Make smaller updates

4.8GB downloads for a minor patch? I don't have most of VS installed

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Installer images shared across a local LAN

In a similar way to Dropbox, allow sharing of already downloaded sources across a local network.

For example, if I have downloaded 6GB worth of install on my desktop, at the moment, I have to download another 6GB on my laptop.

I would like to see the second install search for any existing installation on my local network. I wouldn't mind if I had to have the installer open on both/all machines, just give us a quicker way to install the same thing on multiple development machines.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. INSTALLATION

Please, execute the installation in background with need work and the installation delay time

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. duplicate installation

i find the installation process of many modules in visual studio is duplicated, for example, android sdk, javasdk, are downloaded and installed and reinstalled many times during the installations of many different modules, that is a waste that not only postpone and slow down time for installation, but also increase chance for errors and failure of installation which waste previous achievement for installations of other more preliminary modules, that is a big problem that i suppose deserve change and improvement, thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. the installation is too error prone and not easily recoverable

dear microsoft staff
    we find the installation of visual studio community edition is too slow, and not modular enough, once failed, the whole previous installation all wasted and need to reinstall, that process is too slow, cumbersome, sensitive to errors, and not easily recoverable, we hope the installation could be more modular, which could limit the mistake to that component alone, and easily reinstalled later on, thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base