Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add ability for NAT Hole Punching

Using some combination of STUN, TURN, ICE, WebRTC, etc... build into the .NET framework the ability for Hole Punching.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 出现问题的连接加入一个问题链接地址可以提问的,你们的 MSDN 做的不错

出现问题的连接加入一个问题链接地址可以提问的,你们的 MSDN 做的不错
      我下面只是示范,问题是我自己做的
      这样的东西对我们新手有很大的帮助 ,比百度方便多了

0 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • "DLL HeLLL" is not totally gone; it got a new home reference address.

DLL HeLLL is a lot better but there are times refereneces are hard to deal with. At many firm I've been to, I'll inherit Visual Studio Solutions with large number of projects.
        I find that are not able to build the solutions when I pull down the code from source control on to a new PC. Yes, it works on the other developers PC but it won't work without a lot of effort on other PCs or build environments. Many of the 3rd party DLLs could be missing or all pointing inconsistently to non-existent folders. These binary DLLs are not…

0 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • the System.​Threading.​Tasks.Parallel class should support async operations

Today it is not possible to await, for example, a Parallel,Invoke call. This seem a bit stange since the Parallel class is for doing cpu based work, so it would work very nicely together with async/await with is for IO based work.

So if there were a Parallel.InvokeAsync method, it would be possible to kick of cpu based work in worker threads, which the current thread continue with IO based work.

Also, if the Parallel class methods had overloads that accept Func<Task> in addition to those that accept Action, then the work beeing done could thmself use async/await as well…

0 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • keyword "checked" should can be not use the return value

While I'm doing with the db pager, I found I should check the page index and page size which is user input.
            So I write these codes.

public static void CheckPagerParameter(int pageIndex,int pageSize)
            {
            try
            {
            checked(pageIndex*pageSize);
            }
            catch(OverflowException exception)
            {
            throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException("index and size are too bigger",exception);
            }
            }

But it can not compiler finish until I change "checked(pageIndex*pageSize)" to "int forCheck=checked(pageIndex*pageSize)".
            Why we must use the return value?
            Sometimes, we really do not care the return value from checked keyword.

Please change this.

0 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Allow a DependencyProperty to fire change callbacks even when the new value is the same as the old

Property changed callbacks are not fired when a binding changes but the value is the same. In most situations this is good. There are some that aren't. I noticed this when working on a control that tracked values over time. Duplicate values are valid, but because they were duplicate, my change notification did not fire and I could not update totals nor the graph.

Right now, the hack is to use the CoerceValueCallback, which isn't very clean.

An enum should be added to the UIPropertyMetadata type so that the behavior of the callback can be dictated. It should default to…

0 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Multiple Storyboard Animations for Same Property

Don't see where multiple storyboard animations targeting the same property should actually pose a coding issue for .NET. Initially it might seem like the developer shouldn't be allowed, but that's not really true provide the BeginTime and Duration properties keep the setting of the same property by two different animations separated from each other. Just remove the code check that throws the exception when two animations target the same property. If they do target overlapped in time, declare that as "undefined as to what will happen" and leave it to the developer to make the time sequence correct.

0 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Allow defining operators that do not involve the class they are being defined in

Right now if I want to define a user defined operator, it has to be defined in one of the classes involved in the operation. I want to be able to define operators for third party classes.

0 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • 0 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow IValueConverter to access Page properties

I have had multiple scenarios in which my IValueConverter classes need a value from the codebehind. I think that, in many cases, the easiest way to do this would be to access a public property of the page. However, to the best of my knowledge, this is not possible (unless it is a shared constant). I think that this would greatly simplify many scenarios.

0 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 2 32 33 34 36 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base