Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Visual Studio should have a "reload symbols" option similar to WinDbg

VS picked up the wrong symbol file for one of my modules and I don't see a way to get it to reload a different PDB. WinDbg supported this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "Run to cursor" should respect the project it's been called from

Invoking the "run to cursor" command from an executable project type should respect the project it's been called from.

Currently this command will launch the project that's been marked as startup project instead.

Reproduction steps:

1) Create a solution with two projects of type console application.
    2) Have project A set up as startup project.
    3) Go over to project B and try to call "run to cursor" at any line of code.

Result:
    Project A will be run and the line won't be hit, as it's in another project.

Expected Result:
    Project B will be run, even though Project…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Not autoswitch program windows when debugging

When debugging and hitting a breakpoint, Visual Studio “yanks” me away from whatever I was doing and I end up typing something into a code file because I was in the middle of an authoring an email or something . Visual Studio should just “blink” the taskbar tray like all other programs and let the user decide if they are ready to return to Visual Studio

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Remote Debugging - Auto Deploy / More Robust Deploy with Wildcards/Directories

Currently, the C++ Remote Debugger properties lets your specify "Additional Files to Deploy". This lets us specify dependencies such as DLLs and other assets to be deployed.

The current implementation is unnecessarily complicated. It's also quite limited.

It would be great if we have the option to automatically deploy everything that gets copied to the local output directory. For example, I have a NuGet package that installs files vial the DeploymentContent option. All those files should be automatically copied to the remote as well.

The above may not capture all dependencies, so it would also be useful to be able…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Native Debug .NET Core

The .NET Core Project system does not have an 'Enable Native Debugging' option. Mixed mode would be nice, but alternatively it should be an option to just debug the project natively - this would be helpful when trying to debug a customer marshaler with PInvokes.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow creating a break point from Object Browser

While trying to step into .Net Framework code to get more information on a bug, I thought it would be useful if you could create a Function Break Point from Object Browser. now I am coping the namespace, object and method name to the break point window.

Even better if it checked your Debug settings and only allowed this for objects with symbols loaded, or asked you to modify the debugging options like Just my Code, and .Net Framework Stepping, etc.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Support "set next statement" in the VS C# debugger for Xamarin Android and iOS PCL projects

Support "set next statement" in the VS C# debugger for Xamarin Android and iOS PCL projects

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Real-Time data visualization in debug

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351694/real-time-data-visualization-in-debug.html
    I would like the ability to add one or more variables to a real-time graphical watch during debug. i visualize it much like an old school strip chart, where n parameters can be placed on the same or collocated charts. One could look at the data trends and or relationships of data during execution.

I would find this useful for tuning filters of an inertial unit. evaluating noise in a parameter. Stuff that traditionally we have been forced into matlab. I think there…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Memory View - Save data to file

I need to save memory regions under debugger to file for future use.

1. save selected region in Memory View to file
    2. select range - address and size and save to file
    3. save module memory from Modules View to file

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Streamline conditional breakpoints experience

What I'm asking was already present in a previous VS version, I think 2015. When I set a condition for a breakpoint I ALT+F9/C, type the condition, hit Enter and then I have to hit Esc to get rid of the peek window.

I think previous experience was more streamlined, hitting Enter applied the typed condition and then another Enter closed the peek window.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Debug tool to trace Stream interactions

When developing an application that interacts with a network service, it is common to use monitoring programs (such as Wireshark or Fiddler) to troubleshoot communication.

I wish there was something like built-in Visual Studio.

Of course, such a troubleshooter cannot be as powerful as Wireshark or Fiddle, but I wish it would be possible to get a basic tracking printout of network traffic that just your application sends and receives.

And why limit yourself to network traffic only? Other streams of data may also be interesting to monitor, e.g. when writing to a file.

Open questions

* Should the tracing…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. sourcelink

A request: please add sourcelink support to the xamarin debugger as soon as you can. The inability to step into the code of our own nuget packages is one of the main things that can slow our inner dev loop down.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Setting to disable "source not found" window

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351689/setting-to-disable-source-not-found-window.html
    When debugging, you often need to subscribe to all/many "caught exceptions" using Ctrl+E. When an exception occurs in a library, there are no source code available ; obviously.

In those conditions, Visual Studio displays a useless window called "Source not found" that is fully annoying. It's a productivity killer.

Someone wrote a VS extension to get rid of that! Search for "Disable No Source Available Tab" in your VS extension window. (https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=mayerwin.DisableNoSourceAvailableTab)

Now, VS team, can you please create a setting…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow annotating exception handlers to break on throw

Current behaviour (as documented at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/visualstudio/debugger/managing-exceptions-with-the-debugger) is that when an exception is thrown the debugger will break if there is no exception handler further up the call stack, or if it's configured to break on any exception or any exception of that type.

However, the type is not a very fine-grained discriminator, and it's not uncommon to have a catch-all to clean up nicely. At present I have to put a breakpoint in the catch-all and then inspect the local variables to find the caught exception's stack trace. I can't inspect the actual state when and where it was…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Ability to show binary value for variables in Debugger

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351681/ability-to-show-binary-value-for-variables-in-debu.html
    Would be extremely useful if you work a lot with bitops and masks. XCode has this feature (View as: binary).

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Injection support for debugging DLLs.

I think that it could be an interesting idea if DLL injection support was added into Visual Studio for debugging.

If you're writing a DLL which is going to be loaded into another process and wish to debug it, you'll need to: build the project; attach to the process which you'll be injecting the DLL into; and then inject the DLL via an external tool (e.g. your own injector or a third-party application which supports the functionality).

However, it could be a lot simpler for people to debug their code under these circumstances, if there is an option on the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Support *.natjmc files storing on project/solution level

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351648/support-natjmc-files-storing-on-projectsolution-le.html
    Its proposed improvement for the newly announced 'C++ Just My Code Stepping' feature (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2018/06/29/announcing-jmc-stepping-in-visual-studio/). As blog post states config files (*.natjmc) for the feature can be placed only in %VSInstallDir% and %USERPROFILE% folders.
    I propose to support storing this files in solution/project folder. You can use the same overriding scheme as *.gitconfig use.
    This will greatly simplify usage of the feature for the big teams since they tend to share such settings via version control and have different settings per-project.

172 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Evaluate variables outside catch clause

Usually I would place breakpoints inside my catch clauses. When no breakpoints is fired I know my software is running without a hitch.

What would be helpful is to evaluate/hover-over variables that is outside of the catch clause's scope.

Currently I evaluate the stacktrace/inner exception and it is really helpful, but evaluating core variables that might have caused the issue would be quite nice.

Regards

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Debugger: support restarting execution at previous frames ("drop to frame" in Eclipse)

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351669/debugger-support-restarting-execution-at-previous.html
    Every other debugging session or so I feel the need to "delete" the last n frames from the call stack, basically restarting the method at the n-1 frame. "Set next statement" sounds promising, but I cannot set next statement in another function from the call stack.

Effects: the stack unwinds to the previously selected frame. Heap remains mutated.

Eclipse has this feature and it's called "Drop to frame": http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseDebugging/article.html#drop-to-frame

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base