Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. add XSL transforms in the Community edition. Both debugging and without. I sorely miss that feature when using my personal machine.

Add the features of the paid versions for those of us with two lives. I use the Community edition for personal development and VS 2013 Ultimate via MSDN at the office.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add double click to the "Debug Installed App Package" dialog

In the "Debug Installed App Package" dialog, I would like to be able to double-click on an app package to launch it instead of having to select the package and then click "start".

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Profiler should identify the methods (hotspots) that are taking the most time to execute

The profiler should identify the methods that are taking the most time to execute and allow you to drill down into the call stack, providing execution at all levels.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Toggle just-my-code for selections made either in solution explorer or highlighted in the text editor.

In my normal development cycle I generally like to run/debug with just-my-code switched on, so as to avoid lots of false positives.
    When I'm trying to nail a hard bug, though, I think it would be useful to be able to highlight a section of code in the text editor, or a selection of files in solution explorer and disable (or toggle) just-my-code for just that selection, as it's often the case that I have a good idea which area of code is at fault.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Edit and continue should work for handled Exceptions too

Hi!

Visual Studio provides great debugging experience for exceptions not handled by user code. You're stopped at the call where exception occurred and can fix the code, set next statement to the fixed code and all just works (does not if you've disabled auto stack unwind but that's not our case).

However, if the exception is handled somewhere down the stack (e.g. with exception handler for logging and rethrow) the debugging becomes much more trickier. You can break on handled exception (if set in Exceptions window) but cannot unwind the stack and cannot fix the code.

My proposal is: to…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Debug taskrunner in Visual Studio

Add debug experience for taskrunner code (gulpfile.js)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Continue but temporarily ignore active breakpoints (as in chrome tools)

In chrome debugging tools when halted on a javascript breakpoint you can click the 'resume script execution' button which then continues until the script finishes or until it hits another breakpoint (just like VS debugger behaviour).

If, rather than clicking the button you press and hold it, an option appears which if clicked, continues execution but temporarily ignores any further breakpoints even though the breakpoints are still active.

Maybe VS already has this continue-but-temporarily-ignore behaviour but I haven't found it. If not, I think this would be a great addition to Visual Studio. At the moment if I'm halted on…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add IntelliTrace support for async ADO.NET events

IntelliTrace currently does not collect events for async ADO.NET calls

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow Excel export for Diagnostic Tools Events

Allow Excel export by Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V or some other method. Would be extremely useful for further analysis and readability.

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Don't save performance passes (.psess) in solution file (.sln).

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351419/dont-save-performance-passes-psess-in-solution-fil.html
    There are some stuff that gets changed in the solution file if you've done a profiling session (memory or performance, doesn't matter). This is very annoying when using version control.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow viewing async tasks in ASP.NET applications

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351418/allow-viewing-async-tasks-in-aspnet-applications.html
    Currently, it doesn't seem possible to get a view of async tasks in the Tasks window when debugging an ASP.NET application. It seems that asynchronous (async/await) coding is being pushed by Microsoft and is becoming a generally accepted Good Thing for web applications in many languages, but debugging asynchronous applications with no visibility of outstanding or current tasks is very difficult.

The Tasks debugging window only seems to work in a very simple scenario: when running an application (such as a console app)…

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. We are currently evaluating whether we will be able to provide the ability to show outstanding tasks in the Tasks window after attaching to a running application as suggested. We will be providing an update soon.

12. Execution times when debugging JavaScript

When debugging in C# the execution times between lines are shown. It would be of great value to have these metrics shown when stepping through JavaScript too. It would make it very easy to spot expensive DOM calls for example.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add horizontal scrolling in "Timeline details" pane of Application Timeline tool

There needs to be a way to scroll horizontally in the "Timeline details" pane of the Application Timeline tool. When the logical tree is very deep, and the monitor size/resolution is limited (such as when remote desktopping on a laptop) it becomes impossible to see the names of the elements in the expanded logical tree of the Layout event.

As a current workaround to this limitation, one can hobble through "blindly" and expand the tree using the arrow keys, while simultaneously looking at the complete logical tree in another tool, such as Snoop, and correlating it back to what is…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow per-project natstepfilter files

VS 2015 added the ability to add natvis files to a project. This is great because it allows the natvis files to live near the code and automatically get imported any time the project was included.

It would be great if the natstepfilter files were handled the same way and automatically imported as part of the project.

With the current setup, debugging files (natvis and natstepfilter) are separated since only the natvis files can be part of the project. It would be helpful to be able to have them back in one place again.

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Support multiple "Start Debugging" toolbar buttons that launch the app with different command line parameters

When developing a Windows console application (in either C# or C++), my team and I frequently have to test the application with 2 or 3 different sets of command line parameters. It is very annoying to have to go to the properties window and change the command line parameters for debugging (usually it involves copying a long string from somewhere) and then clicking "Start Debugging". It would be much more efficient to associate a particular command line with a button on the taskbar and then have multiple buttons to click. This would rapidly speed up development for us.

Macros would…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make the debugger stick to the current thread instead of jumping around between threads!

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351390/make-the-debugger-stick-to-the-current-thread-inst.html
    Please, please fix this! Debugging multithreaded applications is hard enough as it is, without having to manhandle the debugger just so it does the obvious thing you want.

I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. You're stepping through your function, and suddenly your instruction pointer jumps somewhere unexpected and none of the variable values make sense and you realize you're not in the thread you thought you were in. It's really tough or impossible to get back to where you were in…

542 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    25 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. We are currently evaluating whether we will be able to address this suggestion in a future release. Thanks for capturing the pain points you feel when stepping through multithreaded applications while debugging. We will be providing an update soon.

Additionally, I wanted to clarify that the debugger will only ever complete a step on the thread from which the step was originated. So if you hit a breakpoint, disable it, and then begin stepping you should not stop on a different thread. If you have other breakpoints in your application and another thread hits one, then you will be debugging in the mixed thread state as described in this item.

Kaycee Anderson
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

17. Display variable values inline while debugging

It would be great if variable values would be displayed right next to the code while debugging and stepping through the code.

Chrome dev tools recently added this feature, see how it works here: http://imgur.com/JxbZm1W

It saves lots of time as you don't need to hover over variables or add them to watch to see their values.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support capturing traffic from .Net HttpClient and WebClient API in VS 2015 Network Panel

Capturing Network traffic is really nice idea. But currently it supports only WinRT HttpClient APIs. For ASP.NET & WPF dev this's not at all useful :(

Please add support for capturing traffic from .Net HttpClient and WebClient API as well.

Thanks.

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Unit test configuration file .runsettings support system environment variables

When we configure .runsettings, we have to specify the hard coded value, such as

x64
    C:\TEMP\TestResults

But if I use $(platform), or $(ProjectDir) variables which is defined in my system path or visual studio, it can't work.

So, can unit test configuration file .runsettings support system environment variables?

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Browser Link Support for Content Security Policy (CSP) HTTP Headers

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351375/browser-link-support-for-content-security-policy-c.html
    Currently Browser Link uses inline JavaScript which causes Content Security Policy (CSP) (See https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Security/CSP/Introducing_Content_Security_Policy) violation errors. CSP requires external files to be used for JavaScript and CSS.

If the user is using CSP then browser link is disabled as inline scripts cannot be run. Please use external files, which will allow us to use CSP in conjunction with Browser Link.

This is the error that Chrome throws:

Refused to load the script 'http://localhost:40323/7ccba4ec32eb40b093fe065c6ca53fbf/browserLink'; because it violates the following Content Security…

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base