Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Attach to process by process ID

Debugging stateful services there are multiple instances of the same application running. I can figure out which instance I want by looking at memory/CPU in task manager, but then I have to wait for VS to load the entire list of ALL running apps before being able to find the one I want.
    I want to be able to enter the ProcessID and have VS quit trying to gather the list of all processes. You have a filter box, but it only works once the process list is filled in. I know exactly which Process I want.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. virus scanner

Detect debugging performance degradation and provide visual cues due to virus scanners or third party applications intercepting the loading of assemblies from disk. My experience went from 5 minutes to 10 seconds loading a MVC 5 site when I disabled the virus scanner.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide stack traces for "Local variable" references in Memory Diagnostics

When hunting for managed memory leaks, sometimes you can see that a bunch of objects are strongly referenced by a local variable. It would help greatly if VS told you where that local variable was, for instance by showing you the thread and the stack frame.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. breakpoint condition - same instance of object

Sometimes I am single stepping and want to break on a line the next time through, but for the same instance of a class.

Usually you have to set up some condition that references a unique property of the class, but it would be great to be able to have this automatically done based on the knowledge the debugger has about your current line of code.

This would also be really helpful in debugging recursive methods where you want to break on a line, but only on a particular level of recursion (yes, you can do this from the call…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. watch window collapse expand with keyboard

Add keyboard shortcut (+/-) for expanding/collapsing items on watch window

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add a button to Disable all breakpoints except this one.

I suggest a small quality of life improvement - the right-click menu for breakpoints should also contain an option "Disable all Breakpoints except this".

this will improve the Debugging process since usually I add a lot of breakpoints, and then through debugging I narrow my search to one place I suspect has a bug. now I have to add a new breakpoint, and disable all the others.

using the breakpoint window helps, but I feel a button on the breakpoint rightclick menu will be much better.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Support password and public key authentication simultaneously for SSH connections

SSH connections managed by the Visual Studio 2017 IDE SSH connection manager used for cross-platform debugging and builds support either password or public key authentication, but not both simultaneously.

OpenSSH can be configured to require a public key and then a password to enforce two-factor authentication. Visual Studio should support this configuration.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Save edits to the Breakpoints and Bookmarks lists as they're made

Whenever Visual Studio crashes, I lose all of the Bookmarks and Breakpoints that were created since the last time Visual Studio was successfully closed.

I would love it if Visual Studio would incrementally save edits to these lists to prevent loss.

Sometimes it's a plugin that prevents Visual Studio from shutting down properly, and occasionally Visual Studio crashes while debugging.
    In any case, Breakpoints and Bookmarks shouldn't be "deleted" unless explicitly removed by the user.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Amend appearance of Locals watch variable "<method_name> returned"

Amend appearance of Locals watch variable "<method_name> returned".

All Watch variables have icon of "blue brick" and all rows have same color.
    When the method, which is returning something lives in longer Namespace name and class name (or class is Generic, so there are another typenames), name of this generated watch variable "<method_name> returned" is very long, thus not visible on first glance.

To see, which of the Locals is the "returned" variable of the method, you need to expand this column.

Making this row colored differently or differentiate it by another icon than the "blue brick" could help.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add Live Dependency Validation support for .NET Core projects

Live Dependency Validation is an excellent tool for making sure that all developers in a highly distributed team adapt to the requirements of a project architecture.

However, we're still missing this in .NET Core and .NET Standard projects in Visual Studio. Please add support for this as soon as possible.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Debugger should support generic authentication with SourceLink

VS Debugger now supports Authenticated Source Link for VSTS and GitHub starting in 15.7 (https://goo.gl/iNAvgW). That is a great start. My team has our .NET source code in GitHub Enterprise. This issue is for support is to support other private source code repositories in a generic (or extensible) way. I know other need GitLab support and I'm sure there are a bunch more.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide a standalone debugger that can be installed on a file server for debugging applications that will only run on the server.

It's difficult or impossible to get IT to open additional ports for remote debugging on a server and it's not practical to install VS either.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. provide link to log in IDE exception box

When the IDE exception box appears, link to the log file, or at minimum make the text selectable, or put a "copy to clipboard" button. The log Is buried in a deep folder and makes the situation more painful.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Edit and save CS files while debugging

Edit and save CS files while debugging. No need to reflect changes right away. Reflect changes only in the next build-debug. But I want to write in my ideas for now.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Change Visual Studio Build verbosity from Output window

It's hard to change build verbosity each time opening Options and searching for build and run and changing verbosity. It was much better to change it from Output window (to apply for next build)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. in the C++ debugger provide a way to display a "flat" list of all class member variabes, flatening things from sub classes

I often work on code that has a highly nested set of classes, WRL is an example. This makes it hard to visualize all of the class member variables in the debugger since I need to expand each subclass and sometimes it is hard to know which one (in COM interface subclass cases). See the attached image for an example

Provide a way to flatten the class members and display them al.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Search all callstacks within Threads view

The Threads view (Debug -> Windows -> Threads) has a search bar, which seems to only search by thread name.

Most of the times however, I want to search for a specific class / method name within all the callstacks of all the threads.

Most of the times when I need the Threads view, I also need to search all callstacks.

Extra credit, it would be awesome if the search supported multiple partial segments. For example, if a class from the callstack is called ObservableBreakfastScheduler, then the search keyword "ObsBreSch" should find it.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Improve "Just My Code" user code classification

When you optimize your .NET code, e. g. in Release builds, the "Just My Code" function suddenly considers it to be "not user code", despite PDB files being available. This is intended behaviour according to the documentation, but for most of my work, this feels like a bug.

Consider the following scenario: The programmer writes a program and optimizes around for a bit, so he keeps it running in Release Mode. Suddenly, he encounters a bug. He wants to set a breakpoint, but that doesn't work despite an attached debugger because "Just My Code" is turned on. He wants to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. "Auto-step Debugging" -- IDE automatically steps through code for real-time visibility

One of the challenges in debugging UI code is that interactions with the IDE itself, such as stepping forward through code, often affects the UI itself (firing lost-focus or keypress events, for instance), interfering with the state or condition you are trying to debug.

To address this, I propose a new feature to have the IDE "auto-play" stepping through the code line-by-line (at a pre-determined interval), so that you don't have to remove focus from whatever you're debugging.

This way you'd be able to have your "Watch" and other such diagnostic tools open and watch in real-time as the application…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base