Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Really need to make the Linux console be a true ANSI terminal.

You know, like a real terminal.
    Being able to put that output to a file would be nice too since the text buffer is rather small for a computer that has 64GB of ram.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve Graphics Analyzer texture display to handle custom packing

For efficiency reasons I pack (for example) four pieces of data into a DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32_UINT texture: a float in the R channel and three 10 bit normal components in the G channel. This is great for the frame rate, but even fiddling around with the channel histogram I can't persuade the Graphics Analyzer to display the texture as anything that has any debugging value. Packing for performance isn't at all unusual, so some baby steps towards custom per-channel decoding rather than a single DXGI_FORMAT would really be appreciated.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Just My Code needs to be smarter about working with Task

Historically I have left Enable Just My Code turned off so I can step into .NET source and whatnot. There are also some functions in VS that don't work unless this option is turned off. However with this option off if you are stepping through async/await code then you are continually sent to the implementations of the Task infrastructure.

While this may be accurate it is not something devs should normally be stepping into. I'd like to see an option in the debugger to skip over "task" methods and only step into the actual work I wrote sort of like…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. :D

Hello from Urbania :D

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a data visualizer for JWTs

Please add a visualizer to see a base64 encoded JWT string as a pretty printed JSON object. Would be very useful in debugging auth code.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Gracefully handle mismatched msvsmon (remote debugging tools) version

Mismatched major versions (VS 2015, VS 2017, etc.) of msvsmon (remote debugging tools) running on a deployment or debug-target machine and the version of Visual Studio connecting and attaching as the debugger don't work entirely. Slightly mismatched (minor version differences) between the two will often work, but intermittently crash.

This is a major pain point for our entire development team for a number of reasons.
    A. Finding and installing the proper version of debugging tools on the client machine is unnecessarily time consuming. Most of our team isn't even aware of these versioning issues but is affected by crashes during…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Fix Debugger so symbol servers are not a liability (you can leave symbol server search on).

Symbol lookup using the symbol server is slow. See

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/2494433-faster-thread-loading-pdbs-and-fetching-pdbs-from

which has quite a number of votes (but that was reported years ago so it seems unlikely to be acted upon).

I want to suggest something more targeted (and thus more likely to actually be implemented).

Frist the problem (from the users point of view).

Today it is the case that pretty much you CANNOT leave the Visual Studio debugger configured so you can debug through the framework (turn off just my code and turn on Microsoft symbol servers). The reason is leaving VS this way is likely to cause…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Show command line arguments when attaching to process

With the advent of .net core, attaching to .net core apps from VS is a pain right now because all the process names are dotnet.exe and the attach windows does not show the command line args. If it had shown the command line args, then my life would have been less painful.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Report Exceptions directly from Visual Studio "Exception Thrown" -window

Report Exceptions directly from Visual Studio "Exception Thrown" -window

Simply when Visual Studio is connected to a repository. Git, TFVC, VSTS etc. Add a "Report" button to the "Exception Thrown" window which will direct you to the connected service to report a problem.

An ideal workflow would be:
    1. You're working on something
    2. An exception orccurs which doesn't directly relate to what you're working on
    3. An exception window is shown
    4. Next to the Details button (see image) click "Report problem"
    5. Add a title and description
    6. Click submit
    7. Continue working

Many times you get exceptions…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. the installation is very slow

the installation is very slow

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add "Use as remote machine" option in TDP VM Devices menu

Instead of navigating to Solution properties and pasting an IP into "Machine Name" field, let us right click on a VM in TDP Devices and set that machine as the remote machine target when debugging.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Load symbols from parallel stacks window

Love the parallel stacks view, but if you don't load all symbols by default (because it takes so long) then the parallel stacks view just shows a load of addresses. To load the symbols you have to switch to a thread and load symbols from the callstack view. It would be good if we could load symbols right from the parallel stacks view.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Load all symbols to complete callstack

In the callstack view, we have to Load Symbols for every module that appears in the callstack. It would be nice if there were an options to auto-load all symbols required to complete the callstack. I don't have symbols auto-loading because it can take a long time, but often want to see a complete callstack for a small number of threads.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Support Diagnostic Tools when running project through Docker container

After Docker Support has been enabled for a project, and you start a debugging session, the Diagnostic Tools window does not show any information whatsoever. Doesn't matter if the Docker project targets Windows or Linux.

Since I use the Diagnostic Tools window extensively during local development this currently blocks me from using the Docker tools in Visual Studio.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Debugging breakpoints should be scoped to flagged thread

More and more applications are becoming multithreaded and the debugging support is simply painful. We do have a few choices:

1. Freezing / thawing threads - However, this can change the behaviour of the running application so its a no no.

2. Adding a condition to the breakpoint to break on that threadId - very painful if you have a lot of code to step through and want to set many breakpoints and not sure where you will end up.

3. Run Flagged Threads to Cursor - this will only work if you know where you are going. Breakpoints can…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Get crash dumps from a remote machine and debug them from VS

Given a scenario with:
    - Windows with VS
    - Linux with NetCore (either on ARM32 or X64)
    I would like to be able to get crash dumps and debug them using VS, eventually using the matching SOS version.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Use .Gitignore Filtering when Copying Files Remotely

The Solution Explorer seems to utilize the .gitignore file, only showing files that are not "ignored", but when building on a remote Linux system all files starting from the root directory are copied over.

Does it seem reasonable to only copy files that make it past the .gitignore filtering rules? If not, is there a way to restrict what gets copied to a remote system?

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Mutepoint

In the context menu for the editor set a location of code as a place to never break even if an exception is thrown. This would allow developers to ignore a noisy source location that causes VS to break without impacting other settings such as the exception settings. Once added the 'mutepoint' can then be managed (enabled, disabled, removed etc.) from the breakpoint window.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Sort unit tests alphabetically & by result

I believe previous to v15.6.2 when I ran my unit tests (which are grouped by trait), the failing ones were placed first in the subgroup, and the tests were then alphabetized. Now the ordering is chaotic and I have to search the list to find the failed ones. Please bring back the old sorting.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Information about garbage collected items

Information about garbage collected items:

Game developers often have to make their games rock-solid 60 FPS and every time GC kicks in, frames are skipped. So we end up trying to find and remove every piece of code that generates garbage.

In the past I used CLRProfiler, which gave you a list of every disposed element in a certain GC iteration. With a single click, you had a list of all the points of your code that had generated garbage and was collected in the last GC iteration. Unfortunately CLRProfiler is no more.

Current tools in VS2017 doesn't allow to…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base