Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. _Check_return_ should work for STL classes

Currently _Check_return_ is ignored for STL types like std::string or std::vector. The analysis does not warn if return value is unused.

It should support them.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. In Hex Editor: When you point at a value, also show address in the tooltip. In Quick View C++ allow adding data breakpoint with right-click

In Hex Editor: When you point at a value, also show address in the tooltip.

For C++ in Quick View C++ allow adding data breakpoint with right-click (doing & on the item, copy&paste and going to menu is cumbersome).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Quick access to display DataContext in the Live Property Explorer

When debugging, most often the DataContext is important and there should be a quick access in the Live Property Explorer to display it without having to search for it. In addition it should be possible to quickly switch between DataContext and other properties.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Provide a console window when running unit tests

I would like to see Console-Output of the code I run when debugging unit-tests in an actual console-window and not just as plain text (which I can see by clicking the "output" link after the test was run).

That's because my console-output is color coded as well and it really helps to see important facts while debugging.

The console could even stay open all the time and be visible even if I run all the other tests. It would help a lot.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow the profiler to profile child processes of a given process

Some applications rely on running multiple processes for various tasks. If the user desires to profile one of those "child" processes, currently it's a cumbersome task, which involves somehow freezing that process on launch (WinDbg can do this), attaching the profiler, and then unfreezing the process.

A simple way to allow this would be to just profile every process started by the application.

A more targeted solution could be to register with the OS via IFEO, to run the profiler whenever a particular process runs, or allow profiling of all child processes, but filtered by name.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support for Mutation Testing Tool (VS Integrated) for VS2017

Mutation Testing Tools like VisualMutator was extremely useful in analyzing the coverage of Unit Tests. However, it looks like VisualMutator is not supported in VS2017. This would be a great feature to have.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Temporarily disable dll/project/file references in a project

Make it easy to (temporarily) disable a reference to a project and/or binary file.
    If I could right click a reference, disable it and re-compile the project to check if the reference is needed, I would save a lot of time when cleaning up references. The same would be nice with other files referenced by the project as well (CS, Embedded Resources, HTML, etc).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Provide the ability to have multiple debug settings collections

This would be particularly useful for breakpoints, but could easily be expanded to any number of options. But for breakpoints in particular, it would be great if I could have named "debug settings collections".
    For instance in one session, all the breakpoints I have - including conditions, enabled state, etc. could be saved and tucked away (call it "Debug1") while I create a new settings collection and I can have an entirely new set of breakpoints, debug my code, fix some related issue. Then when I'm done with that code, I can recall the original settings collection ("Debug1"), and all…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Visual studio debugger should be able to diff objects

Sometimes when debugging it's useful to find out what the difference is between two objects. The way I usually do it is to use the watch window and compare manually. If the type is user defined and more than a few fields or with nested types, this becomes really tedious and error prone.

It would be nice if there was a feature to give me a diff between the two, sort of like a file diff but for fields in a type. Perhaps when selecting rows in the watch window, there could be a context menu with the diff option,…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add a bool EndOfRead property to SqlDataReader

I have a DGV where each column is populated by a different sql table. I want to fill the DGV directly from the SqlDataReader. If a row or column(s) is added to the DGV, the first row of a column can be populated from the Reader. In a real world scenario, I don't know how many rows are in a search result (SqlDataReader). The only way of knowing if a new row needs to be added to the DGV is by knowing if there is another row in the Reader. SqlDataReader doesn't have such a property like file reader has…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. [cmake] [Linux] Blacklist for synchronization of data

If you use a cmake project to build on a Linux-target, all data will be synchronized to the target, which are located on the same or below the level in which the CMakeLists. txt file is located. If binaries of other builts, such as Windows x64, are included, they are also synchronized with the target. This leads to long synchronization times and a lot of unnecessary data on the Linux-target.
    There should be a way to exclude individual files or entire folders from synchronization. (similar. gitignore)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Custom Debugger-Visualizer for .Net Core Apps in VS2017

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351618/custom-debugger-visualizer-for-net-core-apps-in-vs.html
    It has no this feature for .NET Core now, could you add this feature later?

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Support for function call in natvis

Hi,

I have a question if natvis visualizator will be extended to support function call?
    For example I have a class:
    `class A {
    const char* describe() const;
    };`

And I would like to in debugger be able to see result of describe();
    Somethink like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <AutoVisualizer xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/vstudio/debugger/natvis/2010">

<Type Name="A">
    <DisplayString>{{ data={this->describe()} }}</DisplayString>
    </Type>

</AutoVisualizer>

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. provide some way to navigate directly to an implementation from object browser or similar when symbols loaded

I see there are a few similar to this that "will not be acted on" but here goes anyway.

Unless I'm missing something you don't seem to be able to get to implementatiuon of code that is just symbols - eg: framework, aspnet - and so when I "goto implementation" it says "no implementation of this interface could be found, and so f12 just goest to the interface.

It would be nice if some tool like object browser could be used to list all the implementations of an interface and you could "jump to" it (in my case, in order…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Please support Angular CLI sourcemaps generated in Microsoft.DotNet.Web.Spa.ProjectTemplates::2.0.0-rc2-final

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351617/please-support-angular-cli-sourcemaps-generated-in.html
    I love the new ASP.NET web template with support for Angular CLI. The only issue with this I've encountered is the lack of support for integrated debugging in VS 2017. Apparently the IDE does not support the sourcemaps generated by angular-cli. (reference closed issue: https://github.com/aspnet/JavaScriptServices/issues/1474 ). Debugging works in Chrome, suggesting that the sourcemaps are valid; but not in the IDE.

168 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Give Instruction on How to Handle This Error Message

An error occurred while signing: Failed to sign bin\Debug\app.publish\CORR.exe. SignTool Error: No certificates were found that met all the given criteria. Moving a project from one computer to another sets off this obtuse message. One "solution" is to change Properties so that signing (that defaults to "ON") is turned off. Reference to Microsoft's explanation in concise, technical English would be nice. What does it mean to sign a project? How do I create a certificate? How does it benefit me or my users to attach a certificate to a project? I set no criteria. Yet the IDE complains that something…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Resolve multiple rule violations at once

Hello,
    I guess the mass resolution is not applicable to all rule violations, but was wondering if you think that it would be a good idea to offer such an option specifically for some like for example say rule IDE 1006 (The naming conventions one).
    I am only saying so cause I am faced with a large number of naming convention violation warnings which unfortunately can only resolve them one by one at the time, which is as you understand a pain ********** ....

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Context-aware watch windows

During a debug session context changes a lot - from class to class.
    It would be great to have expressions being watched to be context-aware. So when I am in classA, I can have specific expressions evaluated, and when I step into a different class, most of the expressions from class A are irrelevant now, so I don't want to see those. but I want to see a new set of items I have defined.
    This will eliminate the need of scrolling through the window constantly or removing items which aren't in context currently.

Hope it makes sense.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base