Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Get rid of all the special keyboard shortcuts that put VS in some special text entry mode

Too often (way too often), some mysterious accidental keypress will put VS in some kind of special text mode (Emacs or VI or something else with 40 year old keyboard shortcuts). VS doesn't say what the mode is or how to get out of it (I'd need to know the mode first)...it just loses normal keyboard functionality.
    TOO MANY INPUTS!

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • glyphicon : show the real icon when listing them in Razor view

When we type class="glyphicon glyphicon-... intellisense kicks in to show a list of related glyphicon names but it shows a generic icon [B]. We are forced to go to the web site to search for an icon. It would be fast to see the icons right there in the list

0 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Make pack target appear in menu for legacy projects if they include NuGet.Build.Tasks.Pack e.g. <ProjectCapability Include="Pack"/>

If a project has the pack target show the command in the menu.
        Perhaps detect from <ProjectCapability Include="Pack"/> or some other mechanism for surfacing available top level targets for the project.
        This should work for _any_ msbuild based project - even legacy projects.

0 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Easily switch from a project in Solution Explorer project to the corresponding property sheet in the property manager

Right-click on a project in the Solution Explorer view, select something like "Goto to corresponding Property Sheets". This switches to the Property Manager view with the correct project selected and open, showing the build configurations.

0 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Rename Visual Studio 15 to better differentiate from VS 2015

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
            https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351100/rename-visual-studio-15-to-better-differentiate-fr.html
            "Visual Studio 15" is WAY to similar to "Visual Studio 2015". Even you guys know it, as the announcement says "not to be confused with Visual Studio 2015". I understand that is the actual version number, but can we get some way to more easily differentiate them? Maybe a nickname or something. It also makes the relationship between the two programs unclear. Is 15 the successor to 2015 or an alternative like Code?

0 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Indent single-line initializers

If an initializer is on it's own, single line, indent that line. Right now, code formatting forces it all the way left.

0 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Automatically complete code review "With Comments" if I commented.

When I perform a code review I sometimes add comments. When finished you can close the code review by picking one of three options:
                "Looks good"
                "With Comments"
                "Needs work"

It's easy to hit the wrong option. If I've added comments then accidentally click "Looks good" the requester might not see and action my comments.

Could we just have a Complete button that will automatically feed back to the requester whether there were comments or not.

0 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Variable name suggestion should support generic types

The new variable name suggestion is a great addition.

but in some cases, it could be smarted. For instance with generic:

When I create a parameter List<myType> ... It suggest List. It shoud use the generic type or both and suggestion istMyType, myTypeList, myTypes, (my preference goes to the last one, but i'm not alone)

In the same idea, when using an interface, with type IMyInterface, it should suggest myInterface...

And both together:
                  IList<IMyInterface> should suggests myInterfaces, myInterfaceList, etc.

0 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • It is recommended that resharper's Search be copied to Visual Studio It is recommended to copy the Search of resharper to Visual Studio It

It is recommended that resharper's Search be copied to Visual Studio

It is recommended to copy the Search of resharper to Visual Studio
                    It is treated that resharper 's Search be treated to Visual Studio.

0 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Provide better dialog when unable to Edit and Continue within an class library.

I am working on a C# unit test libary. I often start a test debugging and editing. From time to time I make edits that make it impossible to continue without recompiling.
                      So the well-known dialog is displayed:
                      Edit and Continue: Edits were made to the code which cannot be applied while debugging. Click Restart to stop debugging, rebuild the code, and restart debugging. Click Edit to make changes to the code.

The problem is, clicking Restart really is not an option. The dialog after that gives the reason:
                      A project with an Output Type of Class Library cannot be…

0 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • When removing all source code/classes/... in a file, provide a quick action "Delete this file"

Sometimes, I decide on removing an entire class from my project or moving it to another place. After doing so and leaving a file (e. g. ".CS") that only contains an empty framework like:

using System;

{

}

Visual Studio IDE should send me a suggestion to delete the file in order to save me unnecessary work by searching the file myself via the sometimes HUGE solution explorer.

Regards

0 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • VS2017 Checkout Window should have select all/none option

Using VS2017 with VSTS, when I go to checkout a project for edit in source control, the checkout Window doesn't allow me to select all or select no files.

All I want to do is checkout my vbproj file, but to do this I would need to manually deselect hundreds of other files. Would be much simpler to have a global checkbox above all others that would select all/none when changed.

0 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Intellisense popup window should have checkbox bar to filter properties & event types

I've always wanted this feature for visuals studio...

When I'm in the editor and I active intellisense by typing, for example:

Button btn = new Button();
                            btn. <--- add this point the intellisense pop window open with suggestions....

Why can't we have a toolbar on the small popup window with checkboxes to filter the intellisense output....by default they are all unchecked meanign you see every object in intellisense popup... When I want only a property in the list and i don't want to see events, or namespaces, and I don't want to see public variables...

under this case I click…

0 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Do not deprecate viewing work items in VisualStudio

The web view of work items is woefully inadequate. Space is given to areas that have little significance while key areas are squished into a corner to the right. Cannot customize the view and performance is dismal.
                              In VS 2017 the work item content can be displayed in VS, which has a far superior view. I strongly recommend keeping the VS view. Or at least replicate it 1:1 on the web portal.

0 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Collapse direct children outlining

What I'm looking for is a quick way to close (or toggle) outlining of all methods of a specific class (without collapsing all their children outlining)

0 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Don't scroll the Find Results window while it's searching

While Finding, don't let the Find Results window scroll around. The problem is that for long searches, I want to read existing results while it searches. But under the current scheme, I can't really do that because as I read, the window constantly jumps to the bottom as new search results come in. IDE has too manyplaces where it takes over user widgets (i.e. changes focus, jumps caret, etc)

0 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Change the Modal Extensions and Updates Dialog to a Non-Modal Tool Window

There are times when I need to switch between Extensions And Updates and something else.

I don't see why it needs to be a modal dialog. It should be a tool window like the Nuget Package Manager window.

0 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 2 118 119 120 122 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base