Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Put a feature in to publish a windows form application.

I would like to publish a windows form application but i can't find a way how to. So i thought it would be good to make a windows form application so it can be used on a PC (Windows and mac), phone (IOS and Android), etc... as an application software. If there already is a way to do so i would love to know.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Windows future? Set the direction to REQUIRE only user initiated development direction.

Windows 10 is much slower than windows 7 even with all latest patches applied. Let me qualify this statement. CMD batch jobs run much much slower in windows 10, about 100 times slower.

Enterprise apps....SLOWER!

Gaming stuff using SLI and advanced MMX seems to be the same.

What gives? Should I convert my enterprise apps and batch jobs to be a MMX-SLI game?

Windows 10 out of the box includes about 100 things that slow down your PC and it adds a second control panel called "Settings" which is totally unnecessary.

Only one Control Panel please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did you think…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Provide WinForms data binding without using strings

When refactoring code in a WinForms project, it's sometimes difficult to keep the UI up-to-date. For example, given the following line of code in a Designer file:

this.luContact.DataBindings.Add(new System.Windows.Forms.Binding("EditValue", this.bsServiceJob, "PrimaryBillingCustomerContactID", true));

I may want to change the name of PrimaryBillingCustomerContactID to, say, PrimaryCustomerContactID. CodeLens doesn't show any references for the PrimaryBillingCustomerContactID property as it's databound only. Using refactoring to change the name of the property breaks the UI as the string isn't updated.

I'd like to see something along these lines:

this.luContact.DataBindings.Add(new System.Windows.Forms.Binding("EditValue", this.bsServiceJob, x => x.PrimaryBillingCustomerContactID, true));

so that the use of the property in databinding is known…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Copy/Paste controls in WinForm project

It would be nice to improve WinForm designer a little bit to be more clever.

Ideas:
    1. Copy/Paste enhancements to preserve name.

For example if I copy/pasted control with name

checkBoxQuestion1

It would be great when I paste this control it will have name

checkBoxQuestion2

2. When control inserted first time, it always as a first step must be renamed. I think it would be great to make option in Visual Studio, when after drop of control Visual Studio give option to name it. I suggest to involve into this proffessionals to make it attractive and simple.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. i develop control like Combobox but is better than traditional Combobox i hope to put it in visual studio Toolbox

name LinkedCombobox work with C# and VB.NET this control designed To Drag and drop with specific Properties to link it with DataSource (Sql Server , Access) in seconds, the control does not need to refresh other wise combobox, linkedCombobox better than Traditional combobox in search cause the search in any part of item.
    I hope To add it with Next version of visual studio

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. ruben

tarda mucho instalarse

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Assign same shortcut to toggle view code/view designer

Hi, Visual Studio Team:

It's possible to assign same shortcut(F7) to toggle view code/view designer?

I thought that makes VS intuitive to switch code/desinger view.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. debugging WinForm could not see the form

When debugging a WinForm application, the form could not be seen. When the breakpoint hit, I want to check the changing of the form, I could not click the icon in Taskbar to active it.

Please allow Visual Studio could watch the form changing when debugging.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. add *.ico editor to VS

Now VS can't open files with such extension.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Update the form border to that of Windows 10

The standard Windows Form border in Design View still looks like that of Windows XP. Update it to the better and slim looking form borders of Windows 10.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. deterministic ordering of initializecomponent in windows forms designer

When I make an edit to a winforms file, often the designer reorders properties, etc. Instead, the designer should do one of two things:

* attempt to preserve original order
    * define a deterministic ordering of properties designed to minimize reordering (e.g., sort by field name). The first people who use a version of VS which does this will experience heavy editing of files the first time but subsequent changes will have nice, small diffs and merge more easily.

The way designer works currently seems to be nondeterministic. So, e.g., setting CancelButton on a Form results in the order of…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. SplitContainer property "SplitterDistance" should control the fixed panel size of either Panel.

This property seems to only control Panel1. It would be nice if when SplitContainer property "IsSpltterFixed" is set to true and "FixedPanel" is set to Panel2 the "SplitterDistance" would set the distance of Panel2 from the bottom/right corner.

"SplitterDistance" should control the fixed panel size (example: Panel2).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Please add a tool-tip with control's name so I don't have to dig it out of the properties box each time.

Once in a while, I am creating/editing a design in a form and simply want to know the names of the other controls so I don't name the control I am working with a confusing name. When you do a mouse-over a control while in design mode, it would be nice if a tool-tip text would simply pop up that has the control's name?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. this->axWindowsMediaPlayer1 = (gcnew AxWMPLib::AxWindowsMediaPlayer()); this is the next statement to execute when this thread returns from

I just add this component in my form.
    but when I run the debugging.
    I appeared the system thread and want it to break.
    And the green arrow at this line shows"this is the next statement to execute when this thread returns from the current function component"
    I did nothing but only add this component in my form.
    How can I fix this problem?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Some System.Windows.Forms.Cursors values are extremely tiny in high DPI modes

About half the cursors available in System.Windows.Forms.Cursors reference system icons that scale appropriately, while the other half do not.

At a glance of the source code on referencesource.microsoft.com, it would appear the offenders are those which use "___.cur" resource names rather than resource IDs.

https://referencesource.microsoft.com/#System.Windows.Forms/winforms/Managed/System/WinForms/Cursors.cs

Among the problem cursors include the hand (used by LinkLabel) and hsplit/vsplit (used by SplitContainer). As a result, these controls become very difficult to use on 4k screens using 300%+ DPI.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow the Windows Forms designer to design forms and user controls based on custom derived types.

I sometimes use a user control/form base class other than those that come with .NET. Those base classes are always derived themselves from types that the Visual Studio Windows Forms designer can work with. But it chokes on my custom types--especially if those types are generics.

Perhaps the designer could have a simulated property, presumably at the top, listing types known to the designer. It'd list only form types if the class being designed is a form and user control base classes if the class is a user control. If the selected base class is a generic, properties would then…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base